VET Visit $$$...

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

VET Visit $$$...

Postby sugar » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think I just made my vet rich!  Between shots for 7 critters, exams on 4, a preg test and dental work and the after hours fee, I am sure I am headiing for the poor house now.  I had him doing so much stuff last night that I had a full page checklist and I still forgot to get him to do a few things.  :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good news all around too:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sunny has a nice big healthy foal growing in her.  The tea tree oil I have been putting on her cut leg was the right thing to do as it helps against proudflesh and keeps the cut clean and infection free.  The stuff I have been giving here for her joints is working well.  We should be able to ride her again soon.  Apparently she had a little horsey bug that goes around when the weather changes which caused her low grade fever and being off her feed for a bit, however, she is back to being a perky little "Miss Piggy" again  :) .  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Turns out that Biscuit had "moldy ears" and he told me to put an anti fungal like tea tree oil on them, so I did.  He is now a wolf teeth free horse and should no longer have problems with his bit.  Now I can get him out of the straight rubber one and use something safer.   He said I should give 4-5 days for his mouth to heal from the extractions.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Soo...what kinds of bits do TB type horses like and work well with?  He will be going English, once he stops the cowhopping/bucking when I ride him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it
Save a horse - Learn to train
Pasofinos Rule!!
naughtypine-ranch @ hotmail.com
sugar

Postby 3boys » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Honestly I'd use either a snaffle or keep him on the Rubber D if he's not to strong. My young TB was a Stallion, 41/2 and 2 weeks off the track. It seemed to be easier on him without much in his mouth. I use the Rubber D as an all purpose bit and when I hack or do cross country I use the snaffle.  Something to think about. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
3boys
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use a french link with my TB's...I love the double jointed bits and most of them hated anything else you chose to put in their mouths :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Ruth » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can commiserate on the vet bills - I have not had a vet bill smaller than $400 since April, even worse, one month was $700, another was $800... #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Azalee » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just use a snaffle dee on my TB mare.  Works well! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/21.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby babytigger » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i think it's always best to start off with the simplest bit you can......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#go with a snaffle, most TB's spend there whole lives in snaffles unless there evil or runnaways.  Vets can get pretty expensive, if u can hunt around for a good reliable  vet thats more afforadable.  I use a few vets with horses depending on what i need to be done, Some are just really expensive while others are the country doctor type that are afforable and come when there called (i like them best)  Where abouts are you located an are u able to use your own vet at your farm? if your local to here i could probably reccomend some people depending on your horses situation send me a PM if u like.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Phil
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Emerald » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used a mild eggbutt snaffle on my 17.1H. Thrb.   When it comes to bits, the old saying#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#"if it aint broke, don't fix it"  and #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#"kiss" #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//horsehead2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Emerald

Postby ArabJumper » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:45 pm

Snaffles are terrible in the wrong hands. They are like nutcrackers. Try a Myler comfort snaffle or a mullen barrel.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Yes, the bucking, hopping, TB's. It won't last long.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Emerald » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#forgot to mention, a Reminder. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Every horse owner should have some sort of Training, for immediate emergency circumstances, such as colic, cuts, wounds, injuries till vet get there. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and Please all horse owners, make sure you have your contact details readily available on the Stall, or with Barn management.! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Not like the idiot who was renting the other half of the barn, where I am , notice I used the word "was".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Emerald

Postby ArabJumper » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:51 pm

Emerald wrote:#ed_op#div#ed_cl#forgot to mention, a Reminder. #ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#Every
horse owner should have some sort of Training, for immediate emergency
circumstances, such as colic, cuts, wounds, injuries till vet get
there. #ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#and Please all horse owners, make sure you have
your contact details readily available on the Stall, or with Barn
management.! #ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl# #ed_op#/div#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl#Not like the idiot who was renting the other half of the barn, where I am , notice I used the word "was".#ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Yes and hopefull the managment calls you! Or at least manages to call a vet if they cannot reach you.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We always had a binder in the barn with any pertinent emergency information on each horse. All numbers were clearly posted, and I've worked in places where they had all emergency procedures posted (ie; in case of fire, in case of colic, in case of severe injury, etc etc). It was useful!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby goldendryad » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:21 pm

I'll join you in the poorhouse, Sugar.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Today I paid a $350 vet bill. It covered a preg check, bute, two exam
fees, a strangles vacc, teeth floated and a sheath cleaning. The sheath
clean cost $44#ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys/Shocked/1.gif"#ed_cl#. It was
unasked for too, I was gonna do it myself while he was tranked but she
did it. I don't know why wiping a penis and pulling out the bean could
cost so much.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
He was super for the vet about his teeth, though. I'm proud of how well
he did. But geez, last time it was wayyy cheaper to tranq for their
teth than this time. Grrrr. I'll have to look into it.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I'm having second thoughts about using our vet college, they get mixed
up and overcharge things sometimes. Like this bill they added an
unexplainable $21 to it, which I disputed. They didn't know why they
put it on there. Good thing I caught it.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
He better not need the vet for a while now.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Oh and good thing too, the vet said he's sound and healthy and his
vaccination is great. She really liked my Gambit, says he's built very
correct and has a good mind. She thinks he's faking his soreness
because I buted him one day and he was still bad.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
On the downside Rain is lame and the vet thinks it could be ringbone,
arthritis, or a pulled muscle in her heel. Grrr. My bf is very sad
about it. Nothing is confirmed, but we were told she can still be
lightly ridden on soft ground. We're putting her glucosomine and
devil's claw. For the winter, and just in case she does have some
arthritis, which is very likely.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#eww...vet bills! Luckily I don't have to pay any YET...but I know Zippy has racked up quite a few for her owner! A couple hundred dollars for just here alone...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for bits- I like simple bits. Zippy, who is a TB (originally from the track) goes in a loose ring snaffle. I'd use something like that, or a D-bit. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EatMyDust » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#EWWWW THAT EVIL WORD....VET...AND BILL...what a bad combo of words!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had the vet out in may for the horses and goats.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He gave them 3 shots each and said theyd be fine 'till next year. 10 minutes later he came back and said that they needed another doose that he would be back in a month. Dustys alone for 6 shots...thats it...wnv,rabies(?)and flu(?) was 250$, Splash was 290$ and she had he wolve teeth pullen, and her teeth floated....and the goats were 16$ each, and then he dewormed my horses without asking me, and charged the vet clinic price of 20$ a tube, which pissed me off because I had already bought dewormer for then...and mine is only 12$.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for bits with TB's my friend has a TB, who was impossible to stop, so we tried a tomthumb, it worked wonders, but she now switches between a normal snaffle and the tomthumb...i have no idea why?...its always best to start off with the softest bit#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby chenders01 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sugar: Dali (TB) used to go in a loose-ring snaffle.  He had a very sensitive mouth and would get "fussy" in anything stronger.  Once you've got Biscuit more trained, you could try a french-link.  Usually, with TBs, the milder the bit, the happier they are (darn sensitive horses LOL!!).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Emerald:  what happened with the idiot boarder?  This was the guy with the two horses that he never came out to care for, right?  Did he finally move them out?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GD:  you shouldn't have to pay for something you didn't request.  And I agree, $44 for a sheath-cleaning seems excessive.  Re. Rain, are you going to get an actual diagnosis re. her lameness?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Vet bills...yes, you can add me to the list.  I just had the vet our yesterday to look at Tequila's eye.  She scratched the bottom eyelid last weekend, and whatever caused the scratch also went up into the corner of her eye and ripped the skin a bit.  It was really swollen so we cold-compressed it twice a day all week, to bring the swelling down.  It looked a LOT better yesterday when the vet was out, so she just gave me some BNP ointment to put on it twice a day.  THAT should be fun, as Tequila is NOT cooperative at all about people messing with her eye.  It takes two of us...one to twitch and hold her and the other to administer the treatment.  At least I can ride her now though.  I wasn't riding her as I didn't want to get any dust in her eye.  I'm just thankful that she didn't injure her eyeball.  That would be ALL I'd need...a 4yo half-blind horse!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, this was a new vet for me (the barn has switched vets...long story) so I hope they don't charge me an arm and a leg for the visit.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ah horses...always costing us money!   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:55 am

I know, I'm still a bit peeved about the sheath cleaning, but I'll let it slide this time.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Rain - well they knew they were going to be diagnosing for lameness
coming out, so why didn't they bring x-rays? Sounds like we'll have to
get an actual diagnoses to really fully treat it. But for now she's
fine with light riding on softer ground and treating it with
supplements. My bf is only riding her super light (walk and a tad of
trot) since he's learning and doing basics with her right now anyway.
Plus it will be winter soon, and she foals in the spring so there's no
sense spending $$$ getting it injected if it is ringbone which they
could only say it might be....I think it a little unfair that we will
have to pay to have them out, again, if we need x-rays when they
already came out to diagnose a lameness and didn't do it fully.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The odd thing about it is the fact that she was perfectly sound, even
on a hard gravel road, when she was being ridden more regularly. But
now that she's had three weeks off, she's coming up sore and lame. It
could be an abcess, they mentioned that. I remember her heels got
pretty banged up from the stones on the road last time we went out.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
So for now we are going to supplement for it and see what happens.
Grrrr.....it would really suck if she had to become a broodmare only. I
guess we could move her to the farm and retire her...haha, she'd like
that. She already thinks she should get to do what she wants...#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to General