COPD - heaves

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby draftdriver » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a pony with severe COPD.  Allergy testing and subsequent treatment with allergy shots has made  quite a difference for him.  I also have an inhaler and mask for days when he is really bad.  He lives outside 24/7.  He is unrideable due to the COPD.  Herbal treatments and steroidal syrups did not seem to help him.  Each horse seems to respond differently to the treatments; I hope you find the right combination for your horse quickly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Judy F » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:38 pm

I took on a horse with severe COPD.  At his own farm, he was being
treated with homeopathetic medication in his water.  He could
barely walk 50 yds uphill, his breathing was so bad.  My own vet
started him on Clembuterol ($$) and prednisone.  Within a week, he
could canter in the field with the other geldings and he improved from
24% lung function to about 75-80% lung function.  We swtiched from
prednisone to prednisolone syrup and he improved again, to the point
were he only needed the medication every two or three days.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
He was not on 24 hr turnout but his stall was next to a big screened
door.  I worried about winter, but we moved him to another part of
the barn with more air space and he was fine.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Coughing alone does not signifiy COPD.  The horse has difficulty
breathing, like a human with asthma (including me, that's how I knew I
could improve his life).  Coughing is a reflex to clear the
airways.  Sometimes the problem is not with the bronchii
themselves, but with food and or dust particles caught near the
epiglottis and irritiating it.  Many horses will cough once or
twice to clear the airways when they start work.  If your horse
like mints, you can try giving him one before you start to ride. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
It's not enough to wet hay, it must be thoroughly soaked for at least
15-20 minutes, and then fed on the ground.    Hay needs
to be stored in a well ventilated area, like our barn loft with gaps
between the boards comprising the walls.  This keeps the mold from
building up in the hay.  We have had allergic horses come here and
their problems have not progressed with proper maintenance. 
Pollen allergies are the hardest to deal with as the horses suffer
through spring and summer.  But none of our horses have been
turned out 24/7, even mine.  We do keep down the dust (shavings,
not straw bedding, keep it slightly moist, and vacuuming up the
cobwebs), but it's not dust itself that is the problem.  My horse
had suffered two bouts of rhino before developing heaves.  That
was the predispoing issue, coupled with a sensitivity to mildew in his
old barn.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
So don't despair.  COPD CAN BE BEATEN!!!#ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys/Happy/18.gif"#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Newbie: We have a pony with cronic heaves so I can sympasize with what you are going through. First a formost is the envirment your horse is in. Like everyone says outside 24/7 is a must. A 3 sided shelter is a good option for shelter. If and when you get into drug treatments they can be expensive. Are pony is on Dexametazone (?spelling) powder and Ventapulmen (?spelling). These seem to help but do not prevent the attacks. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here is a paper on COPD from a vet manual:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#TABLE class=body cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=h4hdr#ed_cl#Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease#ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=h5#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=h5#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=h5#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=h5#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#HR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=body#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#(#ed_op#FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #60bdbd"#ed_cl#Heaves#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#, Chronic alveolar emphysema)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TABLE class=body width="100%" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=para#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=p#ed_cl#Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a noninfectious respiratory disease of Equidae characterized by dyspnea, increased abdominal expiratory effort, chronic coughing, nasal discharge, and lack of stamina.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#TABLE class=body cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=para#ed_cl##ed_op#B#ed_cl##ed_op#A name=aEtiology:#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl#Etiology:#ed_op#/B#ed_cl# #ed_op#TABLE class=body width="100%" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=para#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=p#ed_cl#Although there is debate about the primary cause, the most commonly recognized cause is exposure to dust, molds, or other air pollutants. However, triggering factors may include prior respiratory tract infections, diet, or a hereditary predisposition. The condition is uncommon in horses <6 yr old.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#TD vAlign=bottom#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/servlet/CVMHighLight?file=htm/bc/121309.htm&word=Heaves#"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="Back to top" src="http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/img/bn_btt.gif" border=0 name=btt1#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#TABLE class=body cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=para#ed_cl##ed_op#B#ed_cl##ed_op#A name="aClinical Findings and Lesions:"#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl#Clinical Findings and Lesions: #ed_op#/B#ed_cl##ed_op#TABLE class=body width="100%" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=para#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=p#ed_cl#The disease usually is insidious in onset and progressive in nature. Many horses may be affected mildly or only during certain seasons. However, acute “asthmatic” episodes are not uncommon. In most cases, respiratory distress occurs when the horse is stabled, particularly when it is exposed to dusty surroundings. The signs may be aggravated by exercise and feeding of certain roughage, particularly dusty or moldy hay. (Occasionally, affected horses may show clinical signs at grass, probably because of exposure to tree or grass pollens. This is referred to as summer pasture-associated COPD.) Expiration is labored. Contraction of the expiratory muscles over a long period may result in muscular hypertrophy and the formation of a ridge (“heave line”) along the costal arch. #ed_op#I#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="javascript:popwindowH('reshs04.htm','reshs04','../img/bgraph/reshs04.jpg');"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt='Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with ""heave line""' src="http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/img/tn/tn_reshs04.jpg" align=right border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/I#ed_cl#In advanced cases, the nostrils are flared, and the anus may protrude if dyspnea is severe. Persistent, occasionally paroxysmal, coughing is usually a feature. This cough may be productive and often occurs during feeding or exercise. A nasal discharge is common. High-pitched, end-expiratory rhonchi and rales are heard on thoracic auscultation in severe cases, but such sounds may be heard only after using a rebreathing bag.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#TABLE class=body width="100%" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=para#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=p#ed_cl#Horses stabled on straw and fed dry hay frequently have subclinical bronchiolitis. In such cases, tracheal endoscopy reveals a mucopurulent exudate. However, many horses with a chronic cough and nasal discharge do not have adventitious lung sounds on thoracic auscultation. The most consistent lesion is generalized bronchiolitis, but in severe chronic cases, there may be emphysema with permanent structural changes in the alveolar walls and interstitial tissues.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#TD vAlign=bottom#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/servlet/CVMHighLight?file=htm/bc/121309.htm&word=Heaves#"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="Back to top" src="http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/img/bn_btt.gif" border=0 name=btt1#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#TABLE class=body cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=para#ed_cl##ed_op#B#ed_cl##ed_op#A name=aDiagnosis:#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl#Diagnosis:#ed_op#/B#ed_cl# #ed_op#TABLE class=body width="100%" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=para#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=p#ed_cl#Differentiation from other causes of a chronic cough or nasal discharge (eg, parasitic bronchiolitis) is based on the history and other diagnostic procedures such as endoscopy, evaluation of a tracheobronchial exudate, and chest radiography. In its most subtle form, the only clinical sign may be hyperpnea at rest. Cytologic examination of fluid obtained from a tracheal wash or bronchoalveolar lavage usually shows a preponderance of neutrophils with generally normal morphology. Although allergy is believed to be the most common inciting cause of the condition, increased numbers of eosinophils are uncommon in washes of horses with COPD. Bacterial culture of wash fluid often reveals the presence of complicating opportunistic infection. Thoracic radiographs usually reveal an interstitial pattern that is unrelated to the severity or duration of the problem.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#TD vAlign=bottom#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/servlet/CVMHighLight?file=htm/bc/121309.htm&word=Heaves#"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="Back to top" src="http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/img/bn_btt.gif" border=0 name=btt1#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#TABLE class=body cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=para#ed_cl##ed_op#B#ed_cl##ed_op#A name=aTreatment:#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl#Treatment:#ed_op#/B#ed_cl# #ed_op#TABLE class=body width="100%" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=para#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=p#ed_cl#Most horses improve dramatically if the respiratory environment is improved, eg, the horse is turned permanently out of doors, or all straw and hay is removed from the stable environment. Dust-free stable management involves using paper or wood chips for bedding and feeding complete cubes, vacuum-packed grass, silage, or even thoroughly soaked hay.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#TABLE class=body width="100%" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TD class=para#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=p#ed_cl#Owner awareness of the initiating cause is vital to successful management. Judicious use of corticosteroids, a bronchodilator, and sometimes antibiotics or mucolytic drugs may speed recovery. In the small percentage of horses that improve only slightly, chronic pulmonary changes are probably irreversible. Affected horses should be kept in as dust-free an environment as possible for the rest of their lives.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl# #ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font size="3"><font color="red">

El Samar Arabians
Brighton Ont.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/andy.hope
Andy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby newbie » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks all!&nbsp; Please see my "COPD-update" on the boards - and no I dont use Zev so we are safe.&nbsp;&nbsp; I am still going to treat this episode like I have a horse that has the inclinations towards COPD and manage things properly and I think I will leave him on "Breathe" since it can't hurt him - better safe than sorry.&nbsp; Thank you all for some very good information.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Groupie
Groupie

Previous

Return to General