Moderator: EC

Ringworm, what do I do??

Postby butterflykisses » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:23 pm

Hi everyone, #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
so a week ago, my horses skin was all really dry, so i gave him oil in
his feed and the dry skin cleared up.   He had what i thought
were hives on his bum and back, and on monday i realized that they were
round scabs that came off, they were healed in the middle... I looked
up ringworm on the internet and it sounds like this is what he has#ed_op#img src="/richedit/smileys/cry.gif"#ed_cl#. 
Its not bad yet, but what do I do and what do i put on it?  Please
help me!!!   I don't want all of the other horses to get it
too. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
~Aud One~
*My Funny Valentine.*
*Pumbaa's Silhouette*
butterflykisses
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Kricket » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm sure that there is some medicine that you can put on it, but what I have found to work the best is bleach.  Just put some on a sponge or rag and rub it into the spots once a day.  Try to keep it just on the actual spots, but you can do it to ones that the scab hasn't fallen off of yet too.  I've done this on many different horses (once one gets it at the track it can spread like wildfire) and it always works.  It shouldn't take too many days for them to dry right up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Take Care.
DARE TO DREAM
Kricket

Postby Megan Ball » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just go to your local drug store and pick up some Clotmatizole cream 1%. Ringworm is not really a worm, but a fungal infection. Separate the other horses from this 1 guy because it is contagious. As well WASH YOUR HANDS!!!! Ringworm can be transfered to people really easily. Kids get it all the time from their dogs or cats...etc. Good luck and wear gloves!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby butterflykisses » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:19 pm

Thank you,#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
And for disinfecting the stall, do you think it would work to spray
iodine solution everywhere... that is what some people suggest for
treatment too.   I did something really stupid and used the
same brushes for my two horses#ed_op#img src="/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif"#ed_cl#....
Would it help to wash the other horse with iodine.. to try to prevent
it from invading him too?  by the way... my brushes are currently
soaking in bleach.  Any other suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
thanks again!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
~Aud One~
*My Funny Valentine.*
*Pumbaa's Silhouette*
butterflykisses
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Patricia » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You could try an iodine type shampoo for horses.  I have never had to deal with ringworm.  Maybe consult your Vet.  He doesn't have to come out BUT he could recommend a treatment over the phone.  And yes people can get it too....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

re

Postby lola s » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#Your vet is just going to sell you some really expensive creme for that.  Ring worm is a fungus and there are lots of everyday things that will clear it right up.  At the track, we always used Simple Green, which is a cleaner, but kills it right off.  Crest toothpaste also works.  If you don't feel comfortable with any of those, just go pick up some Tinactin from your pharmacy.  Sanatize all your tack, brushes and your boots every time you ride and it should clear up well for you. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I hope you will get the vet out to confirm that it is ringworm since it is contagious.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby butterflykisses » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:36 am

Thank you!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I am pretty sure that it is ringworm and so i am going to let the owner
of the barn know to separate them as soon as possible... i tried
calling last night when i found out but the line was busy all
night.   I am just going to treat it for ringworm instead of
getting the vet out, because i would rather just spend a few dollars
and everthing else on an antifungal cream and warn everyone at the barn
than paying for the vet to come out too.  If it was a bigger deal
i would get the vet out, but i'm hoping it will clear up with
this.   Thanks everyone!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
 #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
~Aud One~
*My Funny Valentine.*
*Pumbaa's Silhouette*
butterflykisses
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Since Ring Worm is a fungal infection, one of the simplest and inexpensive treatments I have found is althetes foot cream.  You can get Life Brand @ Shoppers Drug Mart which is about $5.  Eagle had one spot of it and the cream cleared it right up.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Disinfect EVERYTHING....my mom who is not a horsey person went on a trail ride with friends once and touched a horse with ringworm..she had it everywhere. Separate the horses, clean everything with bleach and look into anti-fungal cream..I've heard something about toothpaste as well. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Littlegreymare » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#How big are the circles?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I would really lean more towards it being rainrot from what you described earlier :-)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Chisholm » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#look I still think you should at least call your vet and describe it to him/her.  You might be treating the wrong thing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As little greymare said it could be rain rot.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hrrmm..good point..rain rot. Ugh, thats something I hate to deal with. nasty nasty stuff. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Littlegreymare » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I would still rather deal with rainrot than ringworm :)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Although ringworm is far from deadly...It's like chicken pox, typically you/animals only ever get it once. And the best cure is sunshine and lots of it.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Although topical treatments such as used motor oil, toothpaste, Vim, anti-fungal creams etc. appear to work, often times it's just the typical cycle.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Very much comparible to groundhog day ;)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby horsemad! » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#You think your horse, which is boarded at a boarding barn, has ringworm but you’re not sure… so you’re going to treat for ringworm and let the barn owners know ASAP (which would indicate they’re treating your horse as normal right now).#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#I’d be well pi$$ed if I boarded at your barn and my horse got ringworm.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#It is highly contagious.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#I saw it spread through a school barn of 40 horses when just one horse came in with it.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Lots of those horses couldn’t be ridden as they got the sores on their backs so they were laid off for a couple of weeks.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl# #ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#You need to step up to the plate, take responsibility, get in touch with the barn owner NOW and let them know what you think your horse might have and then get your vet to confirm your suspicions.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#You need to take steps now to avoid this spreading through the whole barn!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl# #ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#LGM is right… sounds to me like it could also be rain rot.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Treat it as ringworm regardless of whether you get the vet out or not - it takes nearly a week to get the results of a skin biopsy, so you need to be treating right away. I've dealt with ringworm before and the stronger of the two Betadines (I think it is around 10% iodine, but this was a while ago) is what worked for me. Do not use motor oil, that's fine for cattle but don't put it on your horse. Also I have not found that anything non-prescription from a pharmacy worked at all, ringworm is very hard to kill. Never tried bleach. Koppertox works but is very messy, I would not recommend that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Clean the area, allow to dry and apply the iodine at least once a day. My vet recommended iodine as the best course of treatment, so don't assume that all your vet will do is sell you something expensive, and you should establish if it is rainrot or ringworm even if you have to treat it as ringworm until you get the results of the biopsy back. It sounds like it could be either, and I don't know where you are but we haven't had much rain lately.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your horses will have to isolated from the others, get in touch with your BO NOW!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby AWSgurl » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=1 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I had to deal with it before, nasty stuff my niece even got it on herself.........anyhow wash the area with iodine shampoo but make sure that you leave it on the area for at least 15 mins before you rinse then apply anti-fungus cream that you can get at a drug store, make sure that you really rub it in, do this at least twice a day if possible or after washing the area apply clear nail polish, it smothers the fungus and it can't breathe, so it dies, it may take a couple of weeks before it clears up, and yes disinfect everything from the stall to saddle pads to brushes.......#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Coloured Horses for Sport
AWSgurl

Postby butterflykisses » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I highly doubt that is is rainrot... I have seen lots of rainrot before, but this does not look like that.  I have been putting bededine on it ever since i first saw it , but until the scab came off the way it did... i didn't think that it was ringworm.  I tried to get ahold of the barn owner right away, not just taking my time... i think maybe he unhooks his phone at night though.  Any horse can get it... I don't believe i could have prevented it, maybe he got it from another horse at the barn... You never know.  And I would not be mad if someones horse got it and spread it to mine... its not the owners fault, and I am doing everything i can to make sure that it does not spread to the other horses.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks for all your advice guys#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Aud One~
*My Funny Valentine.*
*Pumbaa's Silhouette*
butterflykisses
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ruth » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Maybe he has dial-up Internet, that would explain a busy phone line. Can you drop by? Has your horse been on a trailer or stabled at a show recently? Mine got it from a trailer, I'm pretty sure. Regardless of where your horse got it, yours need to be isolated and all the other horses checked for patches ASAP, ringworm travels fast. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby butterflykisses » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes he was on a trailer a few weeks ago... we switched barns, but the old barn doesn't have it at all.  And it wasn't the cleanest trailer either... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Aud One~
*My Funny Valentine.*
*Pumbaa's Silhouette*
butterflykisses
Groupie
Groupie

Next

Return to General