Today Is The Big Day!! - Updated, Pg. 2!!!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby Kaleena » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:06 am

Sodapoppers wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Kaleena, I heard that too and was reluctant to do the injections because of that. Apparnetly though that is a myth, according to the vet...the cortisone actually slows down the process of the arthritis changes from what I understand. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know that its been shown to help with the initial injection, I just heard that you don't want to being doing it more that once. The first time it helps, the second, third time it can destroy the joint. Just what I've heard and seen happen once. But if your vet says its a myth, then go with that :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:13 am

Kaleena wrote:
Sodapoppers wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Kaleena, I heard that too and was reluctant to do the injections because of that. Apparnetly though that is a myth, according to the vet...the cortisone actually slows down the process of the arthritis changes from what I understand. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know that its been shown to help with the initial injection, I just heard that you don't want to being doing it more that once. The first time it helps, the second, third time it can destroy the joint. Just what I've heard and seen happen once. But if your vet says its a myth, then go with that :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Hmm, I'll have to ask him and let you know! We never did talk beyond the first injection. There are also 3 joints in the hock and where the fluid is injected will affect the reactions to it. I'm going to take a wild guess that it's the big hock joint (the motion one) that you don't want to inject with cortisone because it will break it down...which is why they now usually use the hydocloric (or whatever it's called!) acid in that joint.  Ideally the two bottom bones in the hock will eventually fuse with treatment and there will be no more pain.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Here's a cool site I used for reference when first researching the idea...Between 3 and 4 on the diagram is where Dream is having the problems.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#A href="http://www.avera.ca/horses/so_eh_27022002.asp"#ed_cl#http://www.avera.ca/horses/so_eh_27022002.asp#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kaleena » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cool site...What you said makes sense, the horse that I knew whos joint was destroyed was having cortisone injected in the fetlock for ringbone I think? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have heard both thoughts about cortisone injections - some people say yes, it breaks down the synovial fluid even though it reduces the inflammation in the joint, which is why they now inject cortisone with hyaluronic acid. However the joint has to be big enough for the fluids to get in there and work, which is why joint injections don't work as well in smaller areas, there is just not enough space. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have also heard people say that the cortisone doesn't damage the joint further. I really wish that "they" would make up their minds!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kaleena, I think that they can be injected more than once, but that there does come a point where the injections stop working.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kaleena » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:11 am

Ruth wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kaleena, I think that they can be injected more than once, but that there does come a point where the injections stop working.
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#It was just cortisone specifically that I heard shouldn't be injected more than once or twice. I know many horses have the other things injected more frequently. I guess if I ever get to the bridge I'll look more into it.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Cheryl » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:21 pm

Sodapoppers wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl# hehe you can imagine my indignation when some girl came up and said "Aww, who's little pony is that?" LOL#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Think of it as this way 1. She was giving you a compliment and 2. She might call everything under say 16hh a pony.  Afterall I will say to my guys "so how's my pony doing??" and they are def. not under 16hh.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I lift my margarita and drink a salute to Marty, Quarter Horse Extraordinaire, Most Pleasant Packer, Companion To The End. May his suffering be little, his passing be easy and may we find each other again, drawn by love and kindred spirit.
Cheryl

Postby Sodapoppers » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Hehe no ...she seriously thought he was a pony! the girl i was standing with said he's not a pony and the girl's face got the scrunchy thinking look and she said "Really?" oh well dosn't matter, it was a good laugh lol #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Well today was Dream's first day of turn out(he didn't end up going out the other day he was making a fuss - MJ brought her horse in to be with him and he was happy)!! He went out in the little paddock with Harvey today. It started to rain and was yucky so he came in. When I went to see him later on in the day i took him out for a little walk and he looked real good, so i took him out to the outdoor ring.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#He started to prance on the spot and was snorting and acting sooooo excited. So i closed the gate and let him go....and boy did he GO!!  I don't think i have EVER seen him move so fast in my entire life, and all of his own accord!! He was snorting and hopping and flinging his legs out in play...I have rarely seen him act like this so i am very very happy. He had a good roll, had a couple of races with Harvey (whom he left in the dust, very unusual!) and he was STILL upity when I took him in for dinner. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#He's not dragging his back feet anymore, he's using his right hip again, he's not sulky or slow or pluggish. I am sooooo HAPPY!! I'm still going to give him another couple days before i start riding him, let him get back into the swing of things. but I had the OK from the vet to start riding him this morning. I am so excited!!:D#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That is great SP hopefully it continues to go well!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:42 pm

That is awesome. Sounds like he's feeling good and happy for the injection. Hurrah!
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thats great SP, it sounds like its working well for him! Now you can start practicing your dressage! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kaleena » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thats great news! I'm very happy for you and Mr. Dream #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Soda, I'm really happy to hear that the injection seems to have worked for Dream.  It's amazing how different they become when they're not in pain anymore.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Enjoy your horsey!!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/11.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congrats Soda!! You'll have to let us know how that first ride goes! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP - glad to hear it was a success!! hooray for dream!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hope your ride goes well on him. let us know how he's doing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Previous

Return to General