Redoing an old arena is nearly done!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Redoing an old arena is nearly done!

Postby Chisholm » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well let me tell you the story of the arena at my barn.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This arena was built 25 years ago, and the people ran a riding school and bred Canadians for combined driving.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So they were not much on arena maintaince.  So basically the arena was well used for nearly 20 years by school and boarders.  When they first built the arena they put down crank case oil, major enviromental hazard now, don't test the soil at this place.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So then 5 or more years of very little use.  And they store farm machinery and buggies in one end.  Still do!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So then in January I came along, decided to board there since it was so close to home.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well of course then I wanted the arena fixed up.  Well in the spring it was cultivated and harrow once,  that was fine.  But the footing was very dry, soft and extremely dusty.   So I was reading on here about oiling of arenas and Da Lee Oiling company.   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So this summer it all began.  First the supports where redone since the arena was starting to fall down, they had planned to do that anyway.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Then I got a hold of an ATV and started harrowing.  Then arranged for Oil to come.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well with the oil coming we started moving some stuff around to make it tidier at the one end.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh and i nearly forgot, I brought a high power pressure washer in and spent 3 hours washing down all the walls, they were disgusting.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So then today was the BIG day, the oil came.  Well WOW, does the arena ever look good, I'm sure the best it ever looked.  Can't wait to ride on it tomorrow.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can't believe how exciting  it is to get oil, do I need a life or what.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And because I am in charge of arena maintaince I will stay on top of it weekly to keep in this shape.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just had to share.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kobau » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:55 pm

That is awesome Chis.. i envy you for the arena!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Lix » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Great work Chisholm!  You've done alot!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It must be so rewarding!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Kaleena » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thats awesome! Congrats on a job well done#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/11.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Let us know how your ride goes :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used to ride in that arena....it was nuts! Every year it was getting shorter, because the supports were wood, and they were rotting, so the tin was folding at the bottom.. Chisholm boards with some awesome people though, and I really enjoyed being there. You'll have to post pics!!! I want to see now !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Chisholm » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No Graciespook, instead you will have to come visit!  When you go out to visit your Dad let me know and pop in to visit my horse and I.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Visit my dad?? LOL...good one. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We get along from a distance. Both of us are happy with my living far far away. But I will come and visit, I still come to see my mother. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well chis - it's nice to see you finally being able to reap the rewards of your hard work. i'm sure you'll be thoroughly enjoying that arena now!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby zooka » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#congrats on pulling it all together and just in time for the winter to!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Tinkerbell27 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Hi Chisholm#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#I’m just really wondering why you did all that work on the arena?#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Now I understand that you did it for your own use and such, but isn’t really the responsibility of the barn owners to have hired workers to work on redoing the arena? #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Are you their only boarder? #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#I’m sure that I’m alone in thinking this way, guess it comes from being totally burned in the past from stable owners ( working my butt off for years with not even a thanks or#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#being compensated, as was in the written statement.) Or just being a Cold Hearted B**ch.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#I’m really happy that you have use of an almost new arena, that’s totally great. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# Tink#ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tinkerbell27
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Piaffing » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I love it when the arena is newly oiled. So how did your first ride in it go?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can understand your excitement!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The indoor at my barn is in the process of being re-done AGAIN (but that's another story). Right now it's really dusty, so I can understand why you're so excited that its finally clear.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope you have a good ride in there. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Chisholm » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tinkerbell,  this is not a typical boarder, barn owner situation is why.  Basically I am boarding at a friends place, she only has 3 boarders, one of those is a family member.  So there is no way with what she charges for board that she can afford to pay for the arena work.  And just to clarify her husband did all the work on the arena supports, not us.  And he did culitvate the arena.   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And really it was a Team effort for everyone.  The only one that really didn't put any effort into the work was the family memeber that has  a horse there.  But they are putting money towards the oil.  Though I do find it interesting they never once offer to help. Uhmm.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And also don't forget if this was a typical boarding barn this work wouldn't of had to be done because the arena maintaince would have been on going.  But I know the boarding facility I was at before this, she can't afford the arena maintaince but has to find a way because yes it is her responsiblity to keep the arena in good shape.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Basically all of us are splitting the cost of the oil.  And at least 2 of us are splitting the harrowing weekly on his ATV.  Which is being stored at the barn for the winter.  But I want to do the harrowing anyway because I know how I want it done.  And I use it the most.  The others ride 3-4 times a week I ride 5-6 times a week.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's really a lot of fun.  Because basically it's like I have my own place.  But get the benifits of someone else doing most of the daily work of feeding and cleaning.  But even then I pitch in a clean stalls and feed on occassional weekends or evenings if the BO has to go away.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby HappilyEverAfter » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry to jump in,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but could someone please explain the type of oil used and how it works etc etc?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've never heard of this before!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
HappilyEverAfter
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Chisholm » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well here's the link to one of the discussions we had back in the summer about dusty arenas.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/viewtopic.php?t=14359"#ed_cl#http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/viewtopic.php?t=14359#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And there is another discussion but couldn't find it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The company I used is Da Lee, here's their website.  Super guy that does the oiling, very knowledgeable about footing for horses.  But yes it's expensive.  But well worth every penny in my books.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.daleedustcontrol.com/index.html"#ed_cl#http://www.daleedustcontrol.com/index.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:17 pm

Congrats on getting the arena is such good shape. It sounds like the perfect boarding situation for all concerned.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tinkerbell--I boarded where Chisholm was years ago, and the people are very very accomadating and nice and do it for their love of horses--they wouldn't even board if people didn't approach them. Its a very quiet happy atmosphere for the horses. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to General