The Moment I've Been Waiting For

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

The Moment I've Been Waiting For

Postby EatMyDust » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Finally, Thursday night, was the nicest night we've had in our area since like ages ago. I hadn't rode Dusty in what felt like ages, so I tacked up and went out in the field. I took the lunge line, and we spent about 10 minutes lunging. He was good. So I **TRIED** to hope on. No luck...lol. I had rubber boots on and they wouldnt fit in the stirrups. I went over to my dads shop and asked him to hold Dusty well I ran to get different boots. I came back out a few minutes later to witness my father sitting on Dusty.*** AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*** How cute...PFFT NOT! The saddle had fallen half off. Now thankfully my dear Dusty was a good boy about it...It wasnt off that much, but a few inches more and it would've been an interesting picture. So my dad hopped off and I fixed the saddle. My brother used it(without permission) and new adjusted anything back. But since when we were lunging and he was just jogging, nothing appeared out of place, and I probally should have checked it first. But considering its *************MY*********** Saddle, and its fit fir Dusty I didnt think I would need to adjust anything. Anyways....so, I fixed the saddle, and got on(With a boost might I add, NEVER RIDE IN TOO TIGHT PANTS)And went out to the field, I walked around, then did jog, and did about 5 strides of canter, and I even rode through the corn. Dusty is coming along so well. I thought he would be ok, so just walk along the path and through the other hay field. He was completly fine, until a evil blade of grass threatened him. He did a spook, and I flung backwards and hit my back off the cantel(pretty far back) I was in alot of pain, but sucked it up and continued on our way...other then that he was amazing. He did everything I asked. Yesterday me and the neighbour decided to take him and Splash out. Right now I always lunge him before I get on. It gives me an idea of how hes going to act. If hes skiddish, hes spooky when I ride, If hes fast, that means hes most likely going to take off, If hes an angel, that usually means hes going to be an angel. So yeh he was good, so I got on...did the normal, walk jog, then I switched with the neighbour and let her ride Dusty and I rode Splash. Splash was pretty good. We took them along the same path as what I went on the other day and they were both good. Dusty walked up to a running tractor, my dads shop(without assistants), a parked car, the dog, and even through the barn. I was sooooooooooo happy. This is the moment I have been waiting for for ages. With a little more work, I think I can start new training.YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/11.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congrats on the good ride! The weather has been so crappy lately, that no one wants to ride. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby vlup » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:44 pm

that's so funny that your dad was able to get on!
"When riding my horse I no longer have my heart in my chest, but between my knees"
vlup
Groupie
Groupie

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#congrats sounds like there are some good building blocks starting there!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EatMyDust » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dusty and my dad have an unbreakable bond. My dad can get that horse to do absolutly anything. Dusty would choose my dad over me anyday.Dusty gets really jealous when my dad gives Splash attention. He comes running to me, but I know he just wants to show off, and I push him away and laugh. Its so funny. Dusty will do anything for my dad, including standing still...which noone (besides my dad) can do!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby babytigger » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#congrats on the progress...hope it continues to go well!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Sinny » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hard work and patients always help in the long run!  Good luck with his training and it sounds like you are now having alot of fun.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sinny
Newbies
Newbies

Postby EatMyDust » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I never thought about it like this before...but I am pracitcally retraining an already broke horse. Its weird.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I actually am having fun with him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its funny though, because this summer, he was basically push button, and now hes dead button...so this summer he was training me? So I could train him? Does that make sense?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby EatMyDust » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OPPS!I submited it twice!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby EatMyDust » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As I was sitting around today doing nothing, I was thinking about my work with Dust. Ok If I dont exercise him everyday hes fine, but as soon as I start doing it everyday he gets mad and skiddish? It doesnt make sense.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby babytigger » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#perhaps he's protesting the same old boring routine....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#best bet - you can work him every day if you think you should, but vary the work. somedays ride, other days just lunge, or walk around with him, or play games with him. work on ground manners, or bathing (a bit cold now...)...the trailer.....stuff he'll need to learn & reinforce. as long as you keep the workload different, he probabaly won't get natsy about it, or sour about the "routine work"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby BarnBratCSA » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:06 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with BT....switch up his work to keep it interesting.  Horses, like humans, need something to keep them interested.  If you ride in a ring, remember to change direction a lot and do circles and stuff, not just ride on the rail.  you always want to keep them thinking! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby EatMyDust » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah maybe, I havent rode since Sunday and its thrusday, I may try some exercises with him tonight, or practise barrels or something.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Return to General