IUD for Mares??

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

IUD for Mares??

Postby Trufflemaker » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My mare has a little problem of going into heat constantly. Every 2-3 weeks on a random and varying cycle. She is on Feisty Mare which controls this fairly successfully. In fact if she wasn't on it, she would cycle right through the winter. Today I was talking to my vet and happened to mention this condition. He told me that you can insert a marble into the uterus of a mare to stop them from cycling at all. Apparently it has been done for centuries in the Middle East, and it is also done for performance horses of all disciplines. The vet said he knew of no side effects. Apparently the marble is the same size/weight as a 14 day fetus, so the mare "thinks" she's pregnant. You can remove it any time if you want to breed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This sounds like too good to be true. Maybe not strictly natural, but certainly drug-free, and a minimal cost (vet visit). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is there any reason why I should NOT do this? I'm thinking it'll save me a good $400 per year (cost of Feisty Mare), and I'll have a cleaner, less moody horse (although she is not really all that moody even though she has a good excuse!).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby Meg78 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was thinking of doing this with my mare.  My vet faxed me the medical article on it, so I could read about it.  Apparently it works really well in mares where the marble does stays in the uterus, but not every mare will accept the marble, and the percentage isn't that great.  I've read 25 - 75% success.  Some just manage to expel the marble, so it isn't effective.  As far as I"ve read, it doesn't hurt them, but obviously it doesn't work.  The only other potential risk is inserting the marble, you have to make sure it's sterile, or it could introduce infection.  Hope this helps.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meg78
Newbies
Newbies

Postby TequillaJack » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I rode a mare who had that done, and she got a really bad infection and now can not be breed.  Which is a shame because she is only 7 and a picture prefect AQHA halter horse.  But she was so witchy when in heat you could barely go near her, the owner thought this was a great solution and in theory it is.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Trufflemaker » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the info. I guess you would only know if they expel it if they go into heat? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby graciespook » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've heard good and bad things about it. From those who say it works, it really works and they love it, but I've heard of sloppy vets where it isn't 100% sterile. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Return to General