Interesting Tip, Glycerine on the bit! IT WORKS!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Interesting Tip, Glycerine on the bit! IT WORKS!

Postby Chisholm » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well Chis went to see the Dentist today.  2nd time seeing this Dentist, most I'm sure know him, Kevin Rundle, super, super guy who knows his stuff!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway last time he had to do a lot of work on Chis's mouth.  This time was much better.  And Chis was sooo good.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well anyway at the end he showed me this really loose skin infront of his back teeth, right where the bit sits.  Well the skin had red spots on it.  Turns out that this loose skin gets pinched slightly between the bit and the teeth, poor boy.  Worst on the left then on the right.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So the solution to this is very simple, spray Glycerine on the bit before each ride, makes the bit slide better and then it doesn't pinch the skin.  Can't wait till I can ride Chis again at the end of the week at see how he feels.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The funny part about this, went to the pharmancy at the Independant Grocer and asked for Glycerine.  Girl showed me where it was, and I asked her what it is normally used for, she told me and then I told her well that's not what I am using it for.  Well I told her it was for my horse's bit.  Well would ya know it, she has 5 horses so I had to explain the whole thing to her.LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Chisholm on Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eileen » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:14 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#thanks for the tip Chis, nice of you to pass it on to the girl behind the counter as well.  #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:19 pm

What a neat tip! Plus which, the barn I moved my retired horse to also uses Kevin Rundle so good to hear that you are so pleased with him. He will be doing my guy next time around.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have heard of a similar thing before- but I've heard of putting oil on the bit, for better sliding, and also to encourage the horse to take the bit (they chew on it more). You can also put vasoline around the corners of their mouths too where the bit sits- keeps it from drying and getting sore. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kevin is *ammmmaazzziiinnnngggg* and yes, that was his tip to me about 3 years ago. Worked like a charm, although my horse wasn't crazy about it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby horsemad! » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The woman I got one of my horses from swore by glycerine on the bit... I just found it messy and don't find my horse any more or less happy with or without it.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Dee22 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:19 am

#ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#I used to (and should start again) use Emu Oil on the corners of Eja's mouth during and after riding. It worked wonders for softening her mouth, when I got her she had calluses in the corners of her mouth and their gone now :)#ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial Unicode MS'"#ed_cl##ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl# #ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#I'd never heard about actually putting something ON the bit... wouldn't glycerin taste like crap though?#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Leena » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the tips Chris ! I'll have my mare's teeth looked in november so that'll be nice to share this with the vet !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby horsemad! » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My understanding is that glycerine is kind of sweet... not crappy tasting at all.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes glycerine is sweet, sometimes used in baking instead of sugar.  Though I have never seen it used as such.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well on Friday I will find out what Chis thinks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby MacnRio » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ditto, my thought was does it taste gross..... but I guess not!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dee22 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's realy interesting, I had no idea that glycerine tasted sweet... I guess when I think of glycerine, I think of soap. Let us know how it goes Chis :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Dee22 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay, so... I have to admit something to everyone... I'm an internet research junkie... yes, I'm obsessed with 'researching' things on the net... I'm starting to know "a little about a lot" LOL....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, due to my obsession and the fact that I found this glycerine topic interesting I did a little research of my own.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I read that glycerine is highly "hygroscopic" which means that it absorbs water from the air. Example: if you left a bottle of pure glycerine exposed to air, it would take moisture from the air and eventually, it would become 80 percent glycerine and 20 percent water. Because of the hygroscopic quality, pure, 100% glycerine placed on the tongue may raise a blister, since it's dehydrating.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, just wondering if this might blister the horses tongue or 'dehydrate' it? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Very interesting..I've never had a problem with it before? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Eileen » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:01 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Interesting question Dee....I have used glycerine many times to mix with dry components to apply to a sore on a horse or on me for that matter and I have never had a problem with irritation on my skin or the horses.  But it is food for thought.  #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dee22 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, it is supposed to moisturize so I really don't see how it could dehydrate the tongue? (or cause blisters?)... I'll have to look into it more... just wanted to see what everyone's thought's were... I'm kind of interested in trying this out though! :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby tanya » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is an old trainers trick to stop the horse from grinding its teeth.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The sighted sees not the world but the blind sees the world in one small child.
tanya
Groupie
Groupie

Postby graciespook » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How does that work? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsemad! » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd hazard a guess that it works because it makes the horse more comfortable in their mouth - so not a "trick" but rather a happy horse doesn't feel the need to grind his teeth. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now that would be nice if it also stopped my boy from grinding his teeth, I can't wait to see if it does.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chis use to try and crib on his bit when I first got him then it change to grinding when he found out he couldn't crib.  Luckily it's fairly mild so no judges seem to hear it.  Or if they do they see that there is no other sign of tension connected to it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tomorrow I will try it and report back.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to General