Interesting Tip, Glycerine on the bit! IT WORKS!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby babytigger » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yes, it sounds interesting...let us know how it goes chis!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and glycerine is sweet (whaddaya think jello has in it?)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Chisholm » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's Gelatin not glycerine in jello. LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yah - i realized that.....d'oh.....lol, must be the pain meds (i took yesterday off to see the lovely sadist, i mean dentist.....turns out i have a raging gum infection. tylenol sucks, extra strength advil helps a lot more.....and of course my prescription i just got today....it hurts!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#is gelatin not in anyway related to glycerine?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well the glycerine works like a charm, he went really light in the contact today, nice self carriage at times.  And NO GRINDING!   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But it is a bit messy to put on.  But well worth it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Dee22 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chis, that's very cool... I think I may have to give it a try... do you just buy vegetable glycerine? How does it come, where do you get it and how do you apply it?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL, sorry for the 20 questions ;) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dee22, I had all the same questions.  Just go to the pharmacy and I got it in the first aid section.  And I put it in a spray bottle, which it's kind of thick for, but that way you only get a few drops out and spread it over the bit.  Really easy to apply, and one bottle will last a long time.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I have ridden a few times now, and no grinding, and he feels super on the bit, very responsive.  I just love the no grinding. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So I have a lesson tomorrow, let's see what my coach says.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmm that is interesting, glad it is working out for you!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chisholm--when I used to use it, I used a tiny syringe, and once the bit was in, put it in the corners of my horses mouth. It seems to work better than the spray bottle? Glad to hear its working!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Chisholm » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just found this out today from my coach, stewards frown apon the use of glycerine.  So at shows one should not put it directly on the bit but directly on the mouth.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So I had a lesson today and Chis did not grind once.  I love this stuff.  Hope I Steward doesn't find me out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Why do they frown upon the use of glycerine?? I'll have to go back to the rulebooks and look at that. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Chisholm » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well let me know if you find anything in the rule book, I sure can't yet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsemad! » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know of at least one competitor who shows numerous horses in various divisions at all kinds or horse trials in Ontario with no issues with the stewards with respect to using glycerine on the bit or the mouth.  Maybe things are different in dressage, but I know it's not a problem in eventing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#glad it's working out for you chis!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i'd hardley call glycerine a drug...so that can't be the issue with it......or maybe it's just certain judges/stewards have issues with it??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Piaffing » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I gave it a try and found it worked. As for using it a shows how would the steward know that you used it because the horse would have slobbered all over it and they all wear gloves when checking the bit now?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Trufflemaker » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I was very curious about this tip, especially after Horsemad said that glycerine is sweet. In the interests of scientific investigation, I got the bottle out of the medicine cabinet last night, dipped my finger in it and tasted it. Hmmmm! It IS sweet, a kind of sharp-tasting sweet, hard to describe. It also has a lingering effect in the mouth, so the sweet taste stays around long after you would think it would have been swallowed and done with. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am planning to try it on my horse, if I can only remember to take the glycerine to the barn with me. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Next thing you know, we'll all be drooling from the mouth from the glycerine ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/8.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol GS - soooo...do we know why it can't be used at shows?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I looked it up, and can't see a mention of it, or anything slightly like it anywhere. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The difference between dressage and hunter jumper competitions is that absolutely no drugs are allowed in the dressage ring, whereas certain levels of other drugs are allowed in other disciplines. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To the best of my knowledge, glycerine is not considered a drug, but it would be a good question to ask the medications committee to see if there is a permissibility issue. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General