Suggestions on Employment

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Suggestions on Employment

Postby Simply Sensational » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm currently working at a big pet store and have been there for about a year and a half, ive been promoted to supervisor last spring and loved my job so much. bbut we just got a new manager and he's a complete ass so i'm looking for a new job and was hoping you guys would have some suggestions.  in the future i'd love to ahve my own business either training horses or something along those lines. (ideally taking TB;s from the track, retraining them and selling them). So i'd like to stick to working with animals of some sort, but i do need a certain amount of money to be able to afford my car and whatnot.  I know to be a horse trainer you'd need a great reputation, and my coach will let me on any horse to train because she knows i can do it, but for a stranger i know that isn't so common. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#do you guys have any suggestions on where to find jobs that have to do with horses, and any places looking for a trainer/exersize rider/ anything??? i wouldn't even care if i was mucking out stalls and stuff, its just i know that you dont get paid as much as i need to get paid to pay the bills :(#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#sorry for the novel and thanks in advance!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Simply Sensational
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kaleena » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What area are you looking for? That might help in getting more posts here. Also post a want ad in the EC classifieds. I was at one time looking for a full time stable help position and posted a little ad about myself and the area I was looking for and I got 5 responses over the following month, checked out 2 of them, all great places. I ended up not taking any of the jobs but thats because I decided to go back and work for my former employer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A note on unsatisfactory working conditions--let the General Manager know about the situation, why you're unhappy and if there will be resolution. Sometimes when you talk to them, you'll be surprised at how much they're willing to accomadate for long time employees. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby BarnBratCSA » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What about a vet clinic or something like that?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#On training horses.... I'm a trainer/instructor/coach, and I'll tell you, it was a loooongggg and difficult road.  I have GREAT clients, and I accredit most of my success to that, but there were so many times along the way where I had to take on clients or horses I didnt like to make ends meet.  And, I know that a lot of the reason I am where I am today is because I made "connections" soooo long ago.  I've been riding/training for people since I was 15.  Building a solid reputation, as you said, is super important. Unfortunately, I really think that in this business everyone has to start from the bottom to earn any respect (unless your born into a horse family).  So, mucking stalls is really the "entry level" job - a lot of the people I mucked for as a kid are my current clients! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Simply Sensational » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah i know what you mean, its just i can't afford only working on that right now ya know? otherwise i wouldn't care, i'd do it.. haha#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i'm really experienced in dressage and jumping/eventing and have brought many of my coach's horses up from knowing nothing to showing and winning.. i just absolutely love doing it and getting a challenging horse. ughh i hate to give up what i want to do but i also can't be like living on the streets until i find some clients.. lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Simply Sensational
Newbies
Newbies

Postby zooka » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#if you really want to stick to training horses becomnig a working student might be a good idea for some big named rider.  Is that something that would interest you?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Simply Sensational » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ive actually looked into that before... there was one opportunity to go to florida with a big name and work there#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but usually you dont get paid... your accomodations are paid for (food, house, etc) so thats basically your pay for working them#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#at least in all the situations i noticed#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but you're right it would be a good way to get a reputation, but i need something with some income unfortunately :(#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Simply Sensational
Newbies
Newbies

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, you dont usually get paid for working student positions, but the stuff you learn and the experience you gain is more then enough.  Why do you need an income? Do you have a horse you need to be paying for? Usually working student positions will let you bring your horse with you. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Getting established is hard work. People dont really care how many horses you have broke, they care how many youve brought up to certain levels. For example, you have one person who has helped break horses and has competed to lets says 1st level dressage... Then you have someone who has broke horses and they have comteted up to intermediate level dressage... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Who do you think is going to generate the most clients? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It would be more to your best interest and prosperiety to go and do a working student position and get more established and try and get your rider levels and coaching level 1 at least. If you are a working student they usually are more then happy to take you to shows becuase they give you lessons and train. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How are your coaching skills? You could always do a short term working student position? Unfortunately at least 80% of the people that go off and train and teach without a barn of their own (unless they are a big name) don't make very much money at all. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Ruth » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, Graciespook, you should see my driveway if you think yours is long.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I really think if you've been happy at your job that you should see about resolution for your issues with the manager. Also, maybe that person won't last so you might be better off to stick it out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you want a horsey job you could try the racetrack, or look for jobs that include accomodations as part of your wage. I worked with horses for a number of years and while it wasn't the best paying situation I always managed to keep a roof over me and my horse's heads and an elderly car running.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Simply Sensational » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for all the suggestions guys. :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i need income to pay off my car and for insurance, and also to save up some money to be able to move out.  Working student positions, although very beneficial just couldn't cut the bills for me.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ive already worked to and recieved my Rider 1, 2 and 3. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#it looks like its going to be a long road ahead of me until i end up with my own barn and my own couple crazy TBs and sell them, hopefully getting good results and build up some clientelle.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Simply Sensational
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:53 am

Ruth wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, Graciespook, you should see my driveway if you think yours is long.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hee hee...mine is 0.8 km....its a big jump from an apartment with a parking garage to something that long that we will have to plow this winter *sigh*#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In that case, yours is just as bad! You just wait for the driveway hike in a snowstorm with a -30 windchill. I'm considering learning to snowshoe.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SS - first, talk to someone over your new mangers head about your current situation. let them know that you're not happy & would like to resolve the situation, but also let them know that if it can't be resolved, or it goes even more sour that you will be seeking other employment and of course advising them so in due time, with notice, etc. see if they offer to do anything for you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#now, when it comes to horsey jobs, i must admit - i've been lucky with my jobs & the opportunities i've received.....you're ahead of me though, you've got a car. if i had one - i would be doing a job i love, instead of a job i hate - it's that simple, and i'd take the decrease in pay as well knowing i was happy with my job & working towards what was my ultimate goal.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#that said, and it's easier to say than do as usual.....does your coach have anyone in mind for you? can they help you get your leg through the door (you've already got your foot in....)? while a working student position doesn't pay actual money, what it does give you is knowledge & experience & opportunities. can you save up some money to cover car costs for a bit? or perhaps go without a car while you do the working student thing?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Eventing focused facility in the Guelph area with a friendly enviroment looking for a responsible individual interested in the care of up to 16 horses. Looking for someone with experience and attention to detail. Room and stall available as well as a salary. 519 823-9102#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#This is at Jennifer Irwins, she is a very well known established eventer#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well that sounds ideal.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wish i could jump at it, lol....but i think hubby would object to sleeping in a stall.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Return to General