Talk to me about boots

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby EatMyDust » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use polos. I use them when jumping, because Dusty is a klutz and hits his legs off the wood. I know this may be bad, but I use them at shows just for looks. It looks really sharp on him. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also use them when he has a cut or what not on his leg, it keeps it warm, and it keeps the dirt out of the cut.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Patricia » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When doing dressage and working on lateral movements like shoulder-in, half-pass, leg yielding it is beneficial to have them wrapped or wearing splint boots to prevent bangs and bumps when crossing over.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was at a show barn last year and my friend was a groom there.  They used to just use polos but they resorted to polos and then using Eskadron split boots over top for extra protection front and back.  These horses were very valuable and working in the upper levels.  They take every precaution to take care of their investment.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a bad knee so staying crouched to put polos on is really hard on me--So I often use splint boots front and back.  3 velcro front and 4 velcro back boots.  I rather the boots take the scufffs than his fetlocks...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When doing dressage and working on lateral movements like shoulder-in, half-pass, leg yielding it is beneficial to have them wrapped or wearing splint boots to prevent bangs and bumps when crossing over.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was at a show barn last year and my friend was a groom there.  They used to just use polos but they resorted to polos and then using Eskadron split boots over top for extra protection front and back.  These horses were very valuable and working in the upper levels.  They take every precaution to take care of their investment.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a bad knee so staying crouched to put polos on is really hard on me--So I often use splint boots front and back.  3 velcro front and 4 velcro back boots.  I rather the boots take the scufffs than his fetlocks...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby maddys_girl » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:19 pm

Chance is booted on all 4 with Pro Choice SMBs. He will be barrel racing though...so I am very careful to protect his legs. He is also quite young...so sometimes has trouble figuring out where to put his feet.

He was also a chronic overreacher as well. Fixed that now, and has not overreached in at least a month....very happy with my new approach to his feet!

I prefer not to take any chances with his legs, and really like SMBs :D
maddys_girl
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Cheryl » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:35 pm

Chisholm wrote: #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now there are special bandages out there forget the name that do provide support, many jumpers used them and I have seen quite of few Dressage riders use them.  Like track bandages.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Think hard please and if you remember let me know.  I need them for my "special" boy#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Thanks!!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby Piaffing » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I usually use polos on all four for working in the ring and boots on all four when lunging or hacking out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I do use something, I use polos, but I don't use them very often anymore- currently I'm not doing any hard jumping (stupid knee!- mine that is). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But basically, polos are there to provide protection, warmth (for circulation as said) and some provide support. #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#000000#ed_cl#Pro-choice SMB- these provide support- you have to be careful with these because they actually keep the tendon from moving, so the horse can become dependent on them if the horse wears them all the time- but they do help for a horse that needs them in big activity (i.e. jumping, barrel racing, ect). Also provide protection. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#000000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#000000#ed_cl#Splint boots- protection- I'm not sure about the support factor with these. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#000000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#000000#ed_cl#Open front jumping boots- protecting and support for the legs, but are open so that if the horse knocks a pole, they can still feel it. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#000000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#000000#ed_cl#Polos- Some protection (rubs and such), and mainly keep the tendons warm to prevent pulls and strains#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#000000#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#000000#ed_cl#Track bandages- no idea what these are- someone care to explain? #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just from what I've been taught- polos are the "standard" simple thing- multi-purpose. But you adjust to use what your horse needs (if it's protection you need, then use splint boots, or ankle boots, where as SMB's will give support). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#EMD, even thought you said Dusty hits his legs of the wood, does he hit his feet too??Maybe a pair of, i wanna say bell boots..but i #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#know#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# they help with over reaching but not sure how well they protect the front of the hoof...does any one know if they are just for over reaching?? Thats the only reason i used them...my horses havn'thad the problem of knocking jumps with their front legs..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Embiem3 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I put boots\polos on everything I ride, includeing my 3 year old. But I mix it up, some days I put boots all around, some times polos all around. some times boots in front and polos behind. This way my horse wont get use to haveing the same type of protection\support all the time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# Chisholm- Thoes would be Saratoga, is that what you are thinking of? Thoes are also sometimes called 'track bandages'.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# I use Saratogas alot, they provide excellent support, but are very very easy to put on wrong and can mess your horses legs up easily if done wrong.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  As for polos coming undone if done properly, Ive never seen it. Ive even seen people turn horses out with polos on(horse had injury, vet recomended it) and not had a problem. But piece of tack CAN come undone, so if your worried about polos coming undone, I guess you ride bareback with a halter. If your that scared the polos will come undone, put a piece of masking tape around the velcro.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Postby Sodapoppers » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Thanks for all the responses...So what's the diff with saratoga vs. polos? Saratogas have more elastic? So how can they screw the horse's legs up easier? #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EatMyDust » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yeah, I thought about getting bell boots for him because he is such a klutz, but I have 0$$$$ so thats on hold till next show season. He hits his legs more then this feet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Chisholm » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes Saratogas.  They are put on with a wrap underneath an elastic bandage I believe.  You have to know exactly how to put them on or you can do a lot of damage as someone else said.  I have only seen them a few times and have never seen them being put on.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Embiem3 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I prefer to put saratogoas on just like polos with nothing underneath, but some people put a cotton underneath. They are less elastic then polos and have to rubber 'strips' on one side of them so that they dont move around,slip and stay where they should and hold everything in place.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We used Saratogas underneath splint boots. I know they're popular with Jumpers and Eventers? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#not many eventers I know use polos or sarotagas... at least at the higher levels... maybe for lower levels... I know there is this other popular bandage for eventers that you actually have to sew on... But they are only used for very high level eventers and only at competition time. I cant remember the name... I will try and think about it or find the name of them... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Previous

Return to General