lesson frustrations

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

lesson frustrations

Postby goldendryad » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm still in lessons, but down to once a week due to time constraints and it getting dark so early now. Grrrr.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was riding with a long stirrup and was comfortable, they borrowed my saddle one day, and the kid didn't put the stirrups back to my height (she has wayyyy longer legs than me and is, like, half my age). So I was riding with them a bit long, sometimes I'd have to reach but was comfortable.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now my coach has put my stirrups back up to a hunter-jumper position and I feel like my legs are braced into the saddle, I just cannot relax them down. It's very frustrating. We're currently working on sitting trot and I can't do it, I feel like I'm jack-hammering out of the saddle and banging on his back. I've tried relaxing with him, moving my hips with him, but I just bounce. I feel like I can't even relax my leg, they feel so crammed into the stirrups, like they're forced and have nowhere to go.The bouncing pisses him off so then he does a rushy trot which bounces me more. Ugh. Pluss I feel like I'm constantly being pulled forward, my leg is, I keep getting pulled into a chairish position no matter how hard I try not to. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But I do have really small feet with high arches and my knees are a little double jointed. Could that also be working against me?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any ideas to help me through this, please!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My saddle fits me, and it fits him, but the stirrups are set too far forward. I really want a new saddle, but the one I want is wayyy out of my price range and I may not be able to import it (an enlightened equitation saddle that looks awesome). So maybe I need to saddle shop, again. But I don't want to settle for a just for now saddle, but I can in no way afford the one I really want.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I may try a few of my coach's saddles to see if something else works.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i don't know exactly what to say, but you can tell your coach your problem and work up to hunter length stirups. Once you've handles on length, moveit up a hole.. just an idea. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good Luck with your riding and hopfully you'll get that saddle#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try gradually bringing up the stirrups...its a big change going from long to short! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby sugar » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you can't handle short right away, try this:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Talk to coach and explain the legs issue and the plan below to deal with it.  Remind coach that that pain is a distraction and is  not conducive to a good learning session.  Then put them longer to a useful comfy level.  Ride a few lessons like that.  Then go up a notch and repeat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Keep going up a notch until you get to where they need to be.  If they hurt you then back down a notch and stay there for a bit longer and then shorten them again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For the arches and ankles do deep knee bends and stand on one leg and balance as long as you can for each leg.  It strengthens it quite well and sure makes riding more pleasant.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am still in physio for ankle/foot problems and it is helping my riding and riding is helping my ankle and foot strength.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it
Save a horse - Learn to train
Pasofinos Rule!!
naughtypine-ranch @ hotmail.com
sugar

Postby graciespook » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:44 am

sugar wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Remind coach that that pain is a distraction and is  not conducive to a good learning session. 
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Conducive..what a great word..its been awhile since I've heard that one..thats it! Its my word of the day! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby chenders01 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are you actually jumping, GD??  If not, and you're just doing flat, then why not put your stirrups at a length where they feel comfortable to you??  It sounds to me like you've got some issues that you're still working through in your riding (chair-seat) and IMO, you should have those issues mastered before you start jumping.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Secondly, sitting trot...is Gambit properly carrying himself with impulsion from behind?  Is he round and on the bit?  If not, then you're not doing yourself or him any favours by attempting to sit the trot if his back is hollow.  He'll bounce you right out of the saddle!  Back when I had Dali, whose trot was like riding a pile-driver when he wasn't round and on the bit, I would only do sitting trot for short spurts...like, half a circle and then back to posting.  He could only maintain his "frame" for that long before losing it, and when he "lost it" I'd go back to riding a pile-driver again and I felt as though I was going to hit the rafters LOL!!  So, if you're doing sitting trot, get a really nice posting trot established FIRST, with Gambit forward and round and on the bit.  Then, sit for 3 or 4 strides, then post again.  Repeat.  During the time you're posting, you can correct your position (if your legs have slipped forward) before trying to sit the trot again.    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know...correct me if I'm wrong...but it sounds to me as though your coach is rushing you along a little too quickly.  If you're not ready for "hunter-length" stirrups then she shouldn't be asking you to ride with them that short.  I know that for me, I'll NEVER be able to ride with my stirrups as short as I see some H/J types do.  My bad knee would be screaming in pain within minutes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, I meant to say too, is Gambit's trot really bouncy/bumpy?  If so, you might want to ask for sitting trot lessons on a horse whose trot is really smooth.  Once you've learned it on a smooth horse, then you can try it on a bumpier one!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't have any trouble bareback. Same with my stirrups longer, it's a lot easier. His trot isn't super bouncy, he's a smooth mover. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm gonna talk to my coach and see if I can put the stirrups down, but the saddle is also working against me. I don't think she's rushing me, but maybe I should be putting my stirrups down adn gradually going up, like everyone has said. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The stirrups are set so they pull me forward and I have to fight them to put my leg where it's supposed to be. I want to get some longe lessons too. I don't usually have trouble with sitting trot, but now I am. I haven't had a chance to ride a whole lot lately, either.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But yes, getting a good trot first is an idea. I usually get him into a slow trot and bent, he doesn't carry himself in a frame yet, we're teaching him to give and relax right now. Bending is an area he has a tough time with.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i'm all for lowering your stirrups to a more comfortable length first & foremost. no need for them to be hunter or jumper length unless that is whatb you're schooling, consistently......otherwise it should be your length for comfort while you ride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#sounds like me - i do better with no stirrups than with them!! i even prefer to jump w/o them, lol. i lose them all the time, but it's never bothered me.....it makes my ankles feel a lot better if they are longer....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Mystic » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GD, if you're riding in a hunter/jumper type saddle then yes the stirrups are farther forward since it is a forward seat saddle. I agree with the others, you should be riding with longer stirrups if that's what you're comfortable with and puts your leg in the right position. My mom does dressage in an all purpose saddle without any issues and it has the more forward stirrup but she doesn't have issues keeping her legs back. Keep working with the longer stirrups and gradually raise them when you start to feel more comfortable at the sitting trot.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh and by the way, my girl can go in a really nice medium level dressage frame and I STILL get bounced out of the tack on occasion when my coach wants me sitting medium trot.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sit down and talk to your coach. This is something a lot of riders won't or don't do. Tell her the situation and see if you can work out a game plan that will work for both of you. Get yourself an 'out' as I call it. I've talked to my coach about my issues with my lower back so she knows that there is potential for problems there especially with my sitting trot so she will remind me that I can go back to rising trot at any time if I start to feel uncomfortable. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby EatMyDust » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I always have the problem. One ride, the stirrups feel great, the next they are to short, so I adjust them and then they are to long. I hate it. Thats why I ride western. I hate the feeling when your stirrups are to short/long.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Did this girl have permission to use your saddle? Once you find a comfy length, dont let anyone use your saddle. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby goldendryad » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#EatMyDust - LOL, yep she had permission, but the kid forgot to put the stirrups back up at my length.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, my instructor is really good about any problems you have. I did mention my trouble with the stirrups and saddle and we examined my saddle in length. I'm trying a different saddle next lesson. Right now we're doing flatwork, although my horse is jumping the caveletti instead of trotting over them, the turkey.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's one thing I really love about my instructor, if your having any trouble she's great about it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ArabJumper » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:46 pm

Not sure if i can make sense to you or not but i'll try. When I change
my length I also change my position. If i am flatting a crazy green TB
off the track I will ride in a long stirrup with a deep seat. If I am
jumping an experienced horse over a high course I will ride with a
short stirrup. This is becuase my legs are further back and I am out of
my seat and in my half seat a bit more. 
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with the others, gradually shorten them- it is a big difference to your legs in so many ways, you have to basically re-teach your legs to function riding in that position.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby lokukac » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi guys, I just have an observation here:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do not think anybody benefits from the sitting trot with short stirrups. I don't know why your coach is asking it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your bum is "heavier" in short stirrups, because the short stirrup forces you to put your bum more behind in the saddle. The more behind you put your weight on the back of the horse the bigger the impact is. (Riding on the kidneys.) No wonder your poor horse wants to run out of you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The dressage lenght stirrup makes you sit at the right balanced place in the saddle, your weight is nicely distributed on your bum and your thights. That is designed to do sitting trot. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lokukac
Groupie
Groupie

Postby EatMyDust » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I have my lessons, my stirrups always feel weird...Id be better off without them, but I have NOOOOOO balance...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#you should just try selecting like 4 different lengths that you think will fit, then ride around, and figure out what ones best for you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby sugar » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#7f007f size=4#ed_cl#You may need to raise the back of the saddle; it is not level.  That maybe why the saddle is working against you.  You probably just need to put an pad back there to level the saddle.  Then work on the stirrup issue.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it
Save a horse - Learn to train
Pasofinos Rule!!
naughtypine-ranch @ hotmail.com
sugar

Postby goldendryad » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sugar - there's already a raiser pad back there, LOL. Without it, it really, really puts me in a chair seat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby vannarae1975 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I know the first lesson of mine is hard.  I have been riding for awhile not doing what i was taught to ride and now i am paying for it.  Me i would rather ride with no stirups.  I have better balance then with them.  I just hope that i can do better then what happen on wed lesson.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
vannarae1975
Newbies
Newbies

Postby chenders01 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:13 am

goldendryad wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sugar - there's already a raiser pad back there, LOL. Without it, it really, really puts me in a chair seat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GD, I know that you said that the saddle fits Gambit...BUT...if you need to put a riser pad underneath it to raise the back up, then it doesn't fit him.  Does he have high withers?  From your avatar pic, it doesn't look like he does.   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I haven't seen any pictures of you riding, but I will bet that, because you've spent so much time riding bareback, you naturally ride in a chair-seat.  It's going to take you awhile to correct that habit, and you definitely won't be able to do it in a saddle that forces your legs forward.  You need one that will put your ear, hip and knee in a straight line.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can you not sell your current saddle and get one that fits both you AND your horse??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey...you have to think that the most important part of your equipment is your saddle.  I just went through this--my horse has high withers and his saddle became too big--his back changed he is older.  He started getting stuck and refused to move forward...It reflected in our show scores too.  It took time to find the right saddle--I tried during the show season to rectify the problem.  My recommendation is as for me....I could not afford new so I found a similar saddle same seat size but a narrower tree by 2 cm.  Of course the tack shop had to make some money I ended up paying $200 and only tax on the difference.  I traded my Stubben Sigfried VSD for a Stubben Tristan....It is slightly different than the other Tristan I have for my other horse.  This one has a bit of a suede knee roll.  I had a saddle fitter out and he looked at it for fit while I had it on trial.  He even saw me ride in it.  He felt it was a good fit for both.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You will be amazed just how much better you CAN ride in the proper saddle.  Don't despair it probably isn't you BUT your saddle.  It took me some time to do a search to find the right size BUT having the saddler out before to evaluate his back and take my other saddle to re-stuff let me know just what to look for.  I searched online...example Bahrs has a list of online consignment and gently used.  I have dealt with Bahr's in the past trading up to a better saddle now 3 times over the years.   I even tried E-Bay with no luck but I hear there are deals to be had...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to General