Tail Tubes

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Tail Tubes

Postby Azalee » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was thinking of putting Az's tail up in a tube this winter.  I wanted the kind that's three tubes you can braid together, but I see a lot of them (well, most so far) are made out of fleece.  Does anyone have experience with the fleece kind?  I imagine they get dirtier and...ah...mushier easier than the lycra kind.  Opinions?  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/13.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby Chisholm » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you check out the Mail and Tails thread there's all sorts of info on there about tying up tails.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use the lycra kind and I love them...easy to wash, durable, and they really do their job ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Azalee » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:22 pm

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use the lycra kind and I love them...easy to wash, durable, and they really do their job ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cool, thanks!  I'm leaning toward the lycra kind.  The polarfleece kind seems like a magnet for crap, both literal and figurative.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#this is something new to me why would you put up a horses tail for the winter?  and by tube are you talking about those bags that people put on tails?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry that I know nothing about this and just curious.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Azalee » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:37 am

zooka wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#this is something new to me why would you put up a horses tail for the winter?  and by tube are you talking about those bags that people put on tails?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, that's what I mean by tube.  Some tail bags are just made of one tube, and others are made of three.  With those that are made of three, you pull the sections of tail through them and braid them together.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It helps protect a horse's tail from breaking and helps it grow longer.  In winter, it prevents the ends from getting tangled in mud, etc and hence breakage.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby zooka » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ah good to know, thanks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:55 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Winter is the best time to bag---no bugs taht they need their tail for, and it makes it nice for the next show season. :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Yellowtoytruck » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Over the winter you can get your horse's tail to grow up to five inches!!!  First, it can be put up and not needed for bugs.  When it is up it dosen't snag.  Second, tails grow the most during the winter months.....for whatever reason.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#U#ed_cl# IMPORTANT#ed_op#/U#ed_cl#!!! Make sure that you tie the bag below the end of the tailbone.  You can cut off circulation to the tailbone if you tie it too high and tight.  You end up having part of the tail permenantly fall off!  It is yucky, I saw this happen to a show horse once!!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, use listerine diluted with water to clean the end of the tailbone, this reduces fungus and allows for healthier hair growth.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Yellowtoytruck
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Azalee » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Timely that this topic has popped back up; I put my horse's tail up tonight.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another thing to remember is to fold up and tie any excess tube/bag...mine was quite long and I could imagine everything ripping out if the mare took a step back and managed to snag it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby cnd_cowgurl84 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What i do. is wash her tail.. then take an old sheet cut it into three pieces. then i braid the sheet into her tail.. BELOW the tailbone..(VERY IMPORTANT)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Then I fold her tail up and over a few times(thew the top where i began the braid,) after that you will have a thnk lump of braid..(if that makes sence) then with the extra sheet tie it around the MIDDLE of the lump just to hold it together... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#then get a thing of vet rap and wrap it all up.... when im done i use a piece of duck tape just to make sure its secure.... LOL.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i really hope this makes sence.. its kinda hard to explain... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but it works awesome.. i take her tail out once a month brush it and wrap it back up.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cnd_cowgurl84
Newbies
Newbies

Return to General