Down horse....scary!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Let us know! :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i think im a bit confuzed..whats the difference between a standing stall and a straight stall? Im guessing the straight stall is long and wider... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby horsemad! » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Standing stall... straight stall... same diff.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

re

Postby lola s » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#I used to work for a show barn and all the younghorses in training started off in tie-stalls.  They were only in at night and some did lay down.  We never had an accident with them, but had lots cast in the box stalls.  I don't really have a problem with them.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby pmc » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The breeder where Snickers came from has a barn full of box stalls, and then, right at the very end of the barn, she has two empty standing stalls.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I asked her if she ever uses them, she told me she uses them all the time as part of her training program.  Teaching the young horses to feel comfy in a standing stall prepares them for the "closed in" feeling they'll experience when being trailered.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope the horse is alright BarnBrat!  I have also seen a lot of drafts in standing stalls...  I figure as long as they do not spend all their time in there they are fine.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EatMyDust » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My neighbor has haflingers, and I went to visit her one night at one of the shows and they had standing stalls...they were very roomy, and when we went into the draft barn there was still tons of room, 3 of the BIG horses were even laying down.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wouldnt put my horse in one, only for the fact that Dusty HATES box stalls, he would never last in a standing stall and I dont know what splash is like in a stall as is.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I dont think theres any harm in them, as long as the horse is cared for and comfortable thats what really matters.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby bay mare » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wouldnt want my horse in a standing stall, she looks like she enjoys her box stall at night.   But for certain situations they are great and are a necessity, like already mentioned.  I know they work great for horses with vices too, like weaving or stall walking.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
bay mare
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, you've got to like them for stall walkers! Ideally more turnout would be the solution, of course.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:25 am

bay mare wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wouldnt want my horse in a standing stall, she looks like she enjoys her box stall at night.   But for certain situations they are great and are a necessity, like already mentioned.  I know they work great for horses with vices too, like weaving or stall walking.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good point.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby zooka » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hey BarnBratCSA how is that horse doing?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think thats one of the missing posts. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The horse unfortunately, from what she said, did not make it :(#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Shoal » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:21 am

Poor thing!
Shoal

Postby zooka » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#aww that is really too bad.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EatMyDust » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any update on the gentle giant?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:41 am

EatMyDust wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any update on the gentle giant?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I re-posted on page two due to the fact we lost a lot of posts and people missed the news. He didn't make it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby BarnBratCSA » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks, GS, for re-posting for me.... He didn't make it.  The vet said that the longer he was down the less likely it was that he'd get up.  He had gotten up once, but immediately fell right down again.  In horses that size, when they're down for a long period of time, the sheaths around the muscles just freeze up.  They kept him comfortable for a while to see if he would get up, but once it was clear that he wasn't really able to and he became uncomfortable, they put him down so he didnt suffer.  The BO had spent the whole night outside with him b/c he had to be flipped over every few hours, so the next day (which was also the day they put him down) was a tough one around the barn.   He'll be missed!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby draftdriver » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:33 am

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like the BO was a caring individual, and did all that was possible to help the horse.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Again, my condolences. Sometimes these things happen and its terrible. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby BarnBratCSA » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks guys for all your kind words#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

PreviousNext

Return to General