US halting horse slaughter

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have too..I've been a patron of the feedlot auctions. I'm not shrugging my shoulders and saying 'it happens'. It happens for a reaons, and I think if we say no more slaughter, people who eat horse meat, rely on horse meat will find other ways to get the horse meat, and some of those ways less desirable. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

re

Postby lola s » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#Are you telling me that people that eat horse meat will eat nothing else?  I'm not sure this is an issue here in North America, but I still don't agree with it.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Foxie » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can't believe that they find homes for #ed_op#U#ed_cl#all#ed_op#/U#ed_cl# those race horses. Lola you worked for a great barn/trainer then. I know that some trainers/owners beat their horses. What's it to them where the horse goes?? And don't tell me it doesn't happen please. My coach takes in OTTB's that this lady resuces so they won't go to slaughter. The two she just brought in are sooo straved for human attention its depressing. One is so nervous and leary around humans. You can't get anywhere near their ears or head to give them a pat. They didn't even know what the hell to do with a carrot. They would look at you like ...you want me to eat this? This tells me that these two beauitful horses were just a bread ticket for someone who had no use for them after they stopped making money for them. BTW they are adjusting really well and are settling in. The nervous one still won't let you stick your hand out and pet him. I've learned that  you have to wait for him to come to you, distract him with a treat, then if your fast you can give him a pet between the ears.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So I agree with what Ruth and GS are saying...too many horses...what do you do with them?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But Lola how is eating horse meat worse than eating beef or pork? Last time I checked we exported beef too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#However we may feel about slaughtering horses we don't get to decide what other people put in their mouths. Horsemeat is definitely eaten in this country, in Quebec it is quite popular, and I have certainly met people in Ontario that do too, even if it isn't common where you are.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll do my part by not eating it and not sending my horses for slaughter, but I don't have the right to decide what other people eat for them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

re

Postby lola s » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#Foxie, they are as likely to find a home for all those racehorses as others are for show horses or polo ponies.  Please don't pass judgement if you have never even been on the backside of a racetrack or been involved in the industry.  I've seen far more barbaric practices in the show ring than I ever did on a race track. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#Ruth, I don't eat any meat so I'm not the best one to ask.  But yes, I think eating horse meat is about as vile as eating dogs or cats.  I don't have a right to tell anybody what to eat either, but by keeping quiet about it, I'm part of the problem.  You do realize its not the old and infirm horses they are eating.  These are YOUNG horses.  Same as the beef you eat.  They are young fattened animals that make its way onto plates.  Horses, that have a value and usefullness far beyond being a food source or delicacy.  Sorry, I won't change my mind about it.  Slaughter houses need to be abolished.  The sooner the better. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: re

Postby Ruth » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:35 pm

lola s wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#Ruth, I don't eat any meat so I'm not the best one to ask.  But yes, I think eating horse meat is about as vile as eating dogs or cats.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl# You do realize its not the old and infirm horses they are eating.  These are YOUNG horses.  Same as the beef you eat.  They are young fattened animals that make its way onto plates.  Horses, that have a value and usefullness far beyond being a food source or delicacy.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Why, because they're prettier? Have nicer personalities? To the person that eats horsemeat there is no difference between a horse and a cow.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I morally agree with vegetarians and won't argue there, but I can't, when you get down to barebones logic, see why horses should have more rights than cattle. Taking away emotionally how I feel about them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do realize that young horses go for slaughter, I used to work for someone who shipped horses that had been used by a riding camp all summer. The horses that they couldn't find lease homes for over the winter went through auctions and chances are some of them went for meat. Yes, they could have been useful horses - but if no-one wants to take advantage of their value and usefulness beyond the dinner plate, then there isn't value and usefulness. I'm not explaining myself very well there, sorry.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not worried about trying to change your mind, but your arguments are not always convincing from a logical point of view, and the reality of suddenly closing slaughterhouses is going to make unwanted horses worse off, not better.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

re

Postby lola s » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#Again, I'm not the best person to ask for an opinion of any slaughter.  I don't differentiate any life.  Who is to say what `useful' is?  The fact is you make money by selling horses to the killers.  Money you would NOT make if you euthanized.  Money you would NOT make if you held onto that horse until a suitable home is found.  If that avenue for disposal was not there, people would find other ways to get rid of them.  Ways, that in the long run, may be better and more humane for the horse.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#For the record, I don't think killing a cow is any better or more humane.  The only difference is that that cow may not have spent a lifetime serving its owner, only to spend its last days in pain and terror.  Have you even seen the conditions those horses are shipped in?  Horses are far more fragile and flighty than cows.  They break legs and are trampled on those liners .  They may suffer like that for DAYS after shipping before somebody looks closely enough to realize what's going on.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#I do not agree that closing slaughterhouses is going to make things worse for the majority of unwanted horses in the long run.  I think it will make things better after the initial adjustment.  Long range, its what I would like to see happen. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Previous

Return to General