Suggestions, anyone?

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ahhh well..ya know ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby chenders01 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:44 pm

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Life doesn't always turn out the way we intend it to. Mr.GS always said he never pictured he'd be where he is now, just turned out that way in the end. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And I'm still trying to figure out when I'll grow up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL Chenders...that's what HE says! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well...i don't want to grow up..and if i did.....i'll be a toys r us kid#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby chenders01 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:13 pm

Ruth wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And I'm still trying to figure out when I'll grow up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, I *know* I'll never grow up...and I take great pride in that fact #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//grin.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:15 pm

babytigger wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well...i don't want to grow up..and if i did.....i'll be a toys r us kid#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Spew alert!!  Coffee on screen.  You owe me a new one, BT #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/16.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Too, TOO FUNNY!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:16 pm

chenders01 wrote:
babytigger wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well...i don't want to grow up..and if i did.....i'll be a toys r us kid#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Spew alert!!  Coffee on screen.  You owe me a new one, BT #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/16.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Too, TOO FUNNY!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#awww...OK chenders - i'll fedex you one or something........no wait -you come to TO & ill treat you to timmies.....lol!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#you guys all remember that commercial don't you....eons ago for toys r us????#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby lifeafterracing » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL you guys!  I know you aren't over 50 bt, chenders & Ruth, or even close to it I imagine.  But just for your future reference, if you haven't grown up by the time you're fifty, YOU DON'T HAVE TO !  That's my motto, and I'm sticking to it, haha.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby TequillaJack » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#[/quote]#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#you guys all remember that commercial don't you....eons ago for toys r us????#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#[/quote]#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It wasnt that long ago was it, I'm not getting old without knowing it am i?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Pilgram » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#haha no TJ your not getting old for remembering it. I swear it was only yester years lol i still get it in my head every now and then  and im like dang if only we were kids again. LOL#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BORN TO RIDE--FORCED TO WORK
When riding you borrow freedom!
Live well,Laugh lots,Ride often.
**Apples are so over-rated~ A Horse I know**
Pilgram

Postby High Hopes » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Katie,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not going to say keeping a horse at your age cannot be done.  I did it when I was young, however my parents #ed_op#U#ed_cl#did not#ed_op#/U#ed_cl# help at all with any vet bills, farrier bills.  I wanted a horse more then anyone could imagine, just like any horse crazed teenager.  My parents are well off, and paid for lessons weekly and all the summer camps, yatta yatta, but a horse nope.  If I wanted one I would have to pay for it in the whole entirety.  So I took my inheritence and did so, bought him, 6 months later had to put him down.  I did however have a great part time job while going to school that afforded my the luxury of paying for board and farrier and those unforseen vet bills.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am not an oldie quite yet, just in my 20s.  I know at the moment you do not want to go to school and that is alright I did not either, but it does make a difference down the road on the wage you will ultimately be bringing in later on in life.  I took a yr and a half off after high school and had a ball then went to school, best thing I ever did.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyhoo... truth be told I personally would be sticking with that free lease and not owning until you are financially secure to fork out all the horsey ownership costs.  I have gone into debt beyond belief for a horse that I no longer have and I am going into the 3th year of paying it off, not fun when I could've used that money towards a house at present time.  I think you do need to really need to think about the cost of owning, and how much disposible income you have to 1. buy, 2. board. and just everything that goes along with that.  Worming is a must and will cost approx $60 per year, then routine work will run around $200-400 a yr.  Depedning on the farrier you are probably figuring around 280-500 per year with shoes.  Then you have all of there suprise vet bills.. lol I just got one recently for $300., then insurance, this will change depending on how much your horse is worth.  Then lessons so 120-200 per month.  Then the most expensive thing board depending where you board 3000-6000 per year.  And of course you would like to get them treats and blankets, so some extra money there too, as going to the Royal is much dangerous.. lol too many tackshops in one place for me!  But truely the cost of the horse is the cheapest thing, something I really did not understand until recently.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Transportation getting to and from the barn also will be needed at some point then you will have a car payment cost and gas and insuranse and all of those costs to deal with to, on top of owning the horse.  That is not very fun to learn about. I was spoiled as a youngin as parents gave me a car and paid for all of those things so I am just figuring out what tires cost and insurance, gas budget. With that and trying to keep a horse and saving up for a house... it is kinda tough, but I have a great job so it is making things alright but not easy with the debt load.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do wish I had listened to my parents when they told me to sell the horse when I was going to school but I didn't.  I no longer even have that guy, he was very special in that time of my life, but not the right match for me.  Not like your situaiton with Velcro.  I fortunately now have a lovely guy whom I am going to do my best to keep, but if it does come between my bills getting paid and me keeping a pony then unfortunately I now have to make the grown up decision of the horsey has to go (mind you to a great home), but I cannot go in debt for one any more.  That is my personal decision, something that I have learned along the way, took a bit, but something I have learned.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This post is not at all ment to flame you but just an insight from someone whom has done what you are doing and that is not as old as the hills (sorry guys!).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Before I loved horses I had nothing to live for, Now I love horses and can't stop seeing things to live for. God bless the Creature that is so noble they make me feel ALIVE!!
High Hopes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HEY!! lol..I'm not old! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And BT...yes I remember that commercial ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK OK...it wasn't eons ago, but some days it feels like it...and FYI - i'm not even 30 yet (for a couple more years!), so i'm not that old either..........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Previous

Return to General