Suggestions, anyone?

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Suggestions, anyone?

Postby Katie1112 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi guys, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#     Well, here is my problem. I am hoping someone might have some advice for me. I am currently free-leasing a thoroughbred gelding, and will be buying him as soon as posible. I work off my baord at an amazing facility. My horse is happy, I am happy, everyone is happy! My problem is, I wasn't supposed to get this horse a year ago, and I love him to bits, but... I can personally, truthfully not afford him. I don't know what to do. I am sixteen, and as of right now, my parents pay for his feet, etc., but it is hardly fair, and i can't help but feel bad. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I love working in barns, but it seems as though no one in my area needs stable help during the week, that is actually a paying position. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, my question is... what can I do to make some extra money? I've sold a lot of my stuff, which has helped me buy some other stuff that I need, but, as for trailering to shows, class fees at shows, farrier, vet-I have to get a coggins test done in the spring, worming costs, etc... you all know how much our expensive hobbies cost us. ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm open to any suggestions, as I feel I'm in a real jam here! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks in advance. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Katie#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#katie.perry@rogers.com#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Katie1112
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Katie...I remember when you got that horse.  She couldn't give him away for $1000.  I remember she listed his issues and she had him standing in a field.  If he is worth anything now it is because you have devoted the time, training to make him what he is.  Don't let her take advantage.  You did her a HUGE favour by taking him on when you did.  Can you just extend the lease?  I have a free lease and it is basically forever.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know how much you like working in the barn BUT sometimes it is best to get a REAL job that pay cash to cover you expenses.  Christmas is coming maybe try for something in the MALL.  Is the Tack shop hiring?  They get a lot of stock in this time of year...maybe they could use help.  Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby vlup » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:12 pm

what about working at mcdonalds or somewhere else that hires teens.
even if you only do a few days a week it's better then nothing and it
would give you some extra cash. that's how i paid for my riding when i
was younger! otherwiswe i would suggest maybe taking on a
partboarder....
"When riding my horse I no longer have my heart in my chest, but between my knees"
vlup
Groupie
Groupie

Postby moongirl » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Katie, would it be too rude to ask how much they are asking for him?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And yes, any chance of extending the free lease?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Would he make an affordable Christmas present?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only other option would be to start pounding the pavement and filling out applications at retail stores/fastfood restaurants.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wish you crazy good luck!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
They're magically delicious!
moongirl
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:03 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I hate to be the Grinch here, but what I am reading is that you now have a pretty good arrangement with your parents and the owner of the horse.   You are 16, and you have a lot of school years ahead of you, studying, maybe living away from home for a while.  Why do you feel that you have to buy this horse now.  Yes I know you love him and all that...but think about it....You obviously know that this is not going to be a cheap proposition.  And we have not even figured on the emergency vet calls or meds that may be required.  You have no trailer for the shows....that is the least of your problems...think of the expenses before you even get him on the rented trailer...and the show expenses...and the coach...and the trainer....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Personally I think that you have got the best of the real world where you are right now.  When you have to move on out of town for schooling then you do not have to fret of what to do with the horse...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have always looked at things the realistic way, forget the fantisizing, it is the real world that counts.  When you graduate, and get a job....then start looking for a horse...or maybe you can get this boy back.  Good luck#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I will say that you should consider NOT showing him.  That will cut down on your costs a LOT.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know that, for a lot of people, especially teens, showing is the be-all and end-all of horse ownership, but really, if you decide to skip showing until you're in a better financial position, you're going to save yourself a LOT of money...no fancy show clothes to buy, no trailering and/or coaching costs, no memberships or show entries, etc.    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The other thing you could consider is getting a part-boarder to help you out with your costs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Finally, is there any way you could cut down on your board costs?  ie. put your horse on pasture board or move him to a cheaper barn...maybe one without an indoor arena?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There are LOTS of ways to make horse ownership cheaper, but they often consist of some sort of sacrifice on your part, such as not showing or not having an indoor arena.  But ultimately, if you really want a horse, you sometimes have to make those sacrifices.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Megan Ball » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#While you are looking for a teen job(like fast food or chain store) have you tried going door to door with a rake and some bags?? I did that when I was a teen. I charged $3 a bag, so I would usually end up with $20-30 per yard. Having a friend with you speeds up the process and makes it more fun. You have to split the costs, but hey. This is how I made my  Christmas money to buy presents. But yeah, try going for a reg teen job, as barn jobs they usually want someone that can do all the barn chorses and you'll be in school. Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well don't i feel spoiled here...my parents pay for everything and im the same age as you! I just have to pay for things like polos and treats lol. But my rents are looking to retire soon so looking for places to spend money... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway a few things...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-Ask your parents to but him and maybe you pay for the feet / vet bills- but maybe split them half way if they really get up there#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-Get a job#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-WAIT don't buy him.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you really want to spend the rest of your life working up to pay for your horses?? Most people wait untill they have money then buy horses. If you think they are expencive now..wait till you buy one.. they are 4x more than you would imagine!!Just hope its a happy health horse anyway!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:15 pm

Pretty_Pony72 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you really want to spend the rest of your life working up to pay for your horses??
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are there other ways to live?#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not quite sure from your original post if the owner is actively trying to sell or if you are just hoping to buy?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If as Patricia says, this horse was standing in a field doing nothing and you have made him worth something then I really feel the owner should cut you a deal, and also consider payments.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How many hours a week do you work to pay off his board?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Personally I would not buy the horse if it means moving him to a place that you won't be able to ride all winter, unless you fear he will go through an auction, then by all means save him if you love him. The reason I say this is that it is obvious you are strapped for cash, and there is little point in working all sorts of hours not to be able to ride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree about the not showing until you can afford it, showing is fun and I certainly leave myself short to do it, but at 36 I don't know how much longer I'll have the nerve to ride the big bouncy warmbloods, so I like to make the most of each year, but at 16 you have many years ahead of you to show. God willing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Giddy Up works at Tim Horton's and says they have flexible hours so that might be an option. When I was 17 and bought my first horse (who was only $400 - like you I had been riding this horse for a year already so her owner let me have her for a fair bit less than what he was asking) I worked off her board by working weekends at the barn and also worked at a grocery store. When I was in college  I moved her to a place with no arena, worked off half her board, worked one or two mornings a week at another farm for cash, dealt blackjack part-time and cleaned Draygonfyne's parent's office. All that and still maintained an average that was well into the 90's. I also had a couple of nasty student loans, and will readily admit that I could have graduated pretty well debt-free if I hadn't kept her, but who wants a 15 yo psychotic 14.1hh Morgan with sesamoiditis? The meat man, and that wasn't going to happen, so I stick by my decision, but if she had been a saleable or leasable horse I probably would have looked at going through college without her.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You just need to make sure that you can balance school and work, yet still have time to ride, otherwise you'll be stretching yourself thin for nothing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Re:

Postby Katie1112 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#Hi, #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. To be honest, I am not going post secondary-and, I actually only have a year and a half left of high school... 4 of my creidts which are co-ops. My horse had not a ton done with him when I got him. He had been taught to get his correct leads, move in a frame, and do some bending. By having a good relation with his other "mom", I can free lease him for as long as I need to, but for the amount of money I would be purchasing him for, I would like his papers so I OFFICIALLY own him. Chenders01-showing is NOT the "be-all and end-all" of ownership. I have not even shown this horse before, as I have not had him long. I HAVE thought about get a part-boarder. I just find it hard as he is definitly a one person horse, and I don't want a part boarder to un-do what I have done with him, as I have, and am working my butt off for and with him. I love him more than anything, and I am willing to do whatever it takes to keep him here. Well, I guess I should start filling out applications, once again!#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#Katie#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Katie1112
Newbies
Newbies

Postby TequillaJack » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All I got to say is not even considering post-secondary isnt a smart move, jobs are hard to come by with an education, and without its very slim picking.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you can free lease him as long as you want, why even worry about buying him or thinking of buying him till you know you can afford him.  Even if you buy him now, heaven forbid he gets seriously injuried can you afford the vet bills?  Its not just about buying and paying board.  I didnt buy until I had a few thousand saved up for just incase, same deal went with my car.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby HappilyEverAfter » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been in this situation. A couple of times actually.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For me I had to realize that I was going away to school (headed to Ontario from NL) and could definitley not afford (in money or time) to take a horse with me...or leave it at home for that matter.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Perhaps you should extend the lease until the end of your highschooling, get a part time job and then buy him once you graduate. That way you will have had the year and a half to save up money to contribute towards him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What you have now is the best of both worlds!! You are really lucky to have a horse and have your parents footing the bill for his "things".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Definitley do not rush into ownership just for the sake of having it on paper. Its not that important, really! I'm sure everyone at your barn already recognizes that you are "mommy" and that you and your family are the main caregivers!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
HappilyEverAfter
Groupie
Groupie

Postby TrueColours » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know how tough it is for someone your age to find a job ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My daughter is the same age and has been leaving resume's all around town, and only had one call back so far and we werent happy with the job offer she was presented with so didnt allow her to accept it#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck - you should be able to find SOMETHING if you pound the pavement enough and hand out enough resumes but I am also of the view that you should try and continue free leasing him for as long as possible rather than make the leap into full ownership without a job to help pay all of the bills ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby Patricia » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Katie...having that piece of paper means nothing.  If you can have that free lease forever why put out the money?  Our free lease is forever and he is like our own--I don't need a paper to tell me that.  Neither does he--he know who cares for him.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know how hard you worked to get him to a nice place and working off the board.  I admire your dedication if only all young people had your conviction.  Get those resumes out!  I hope you can at least go to Community College...these day if only completing high school it is a dead end and you end up with poor paying jobs in like food service or low end retail.  I hope you don't plan to be shoveling the barn crap forever.  It is the good paying job that get that horse in carrots and you in show duds with a good coach.  Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Re:

Postby Katie1112 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#Post-secondary is not for everyone, and a lot of people find it hard understanding that. Not everyone wants to spend the time, and money doing it. I know what I would like to do after school, and do not need any post-secondary degrees to do it. Thanks for the input though. #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#I will for sure be free leasing his for as long as I can, and you are right, everyone at the barn does see me as his owner, and that's all there is to it. #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#I guess everything happens for a reason, so I will just have to wait until the right job opprotunity comes up. #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#Thanks#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Katie1112
Newbies
Newbies

Postby cadence » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, Katie, all I can say is if you feel strongly about not going to college or university, wait a few years and see how you feel and then you might see things a little different. You see, your ability to have the horse you love will depend upon your ability to make the money you need in order to keep the horse happy and healthy. Right now, you're living with your parents, so they pay for your housing, your electricity, your bed, your furniture, possibly your clothes, your education, and give you the allowance.  You cost them about $1000 a month.  On your own, you will start costing you about $1500 a month (rent is always more expensive).  A horse always costs more than the $300 you pay for board.  Can you say in a couple years you will be safely earning about $2500 a month - enough for your rent and personal expenses, your horse, and some money set aside each month for an emergency savings fund for times of crisis? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm a horse nut, like you, but my college education pays for my hobby - I don't live in a fancy-schmancy house, but I have a farm and 5 horses that I dearly love..... 2 of whom I just bought last month.  Now, it's not the purchase price of all these ponies that adds up... it's the hay, the grain, their housing costs (even though I have the barn, I still have to pay for maintaining the building, the electricity, the gas to my tractor to harrow the ring, their straw bedding, etc.) the farrier, the shots, the worming, the floating, and there are always the unexpecteds... horses, being horses, get themselves hurt or get themselves sick at least once in a while.  When I was 16, my gelding got badly hurt and it cost my parents $3000 in vet bills to fix and that was cheap considering I put in much time and effort to learning what I needed to do so the vet wouldn't have to keep visiting every other day.  2 years ago, my mare choked and that cost me $5000 just to save her life from the complications arising from that choking episode - and I know how to give IM and subq shots and medicine orally and intranasally, so it saved me a LOT of money - it was $1000 just for all the medication she needed. Can you afford to pay for an accidental injury? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As much as you love this horse, can you honestly say that you can afford that?  Look at it this way.... if you can make enough money from a job to have an emergency fund to be able to afford to pay entirely for you and your horse for 3 months with no income, plus extra in case there is a horse-related accident, then you can afford your horse. Otherwise, you are going to be looking at working 2 to 3 jobs in order to cover your basics and then will you have time for this horse? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You love this horse and that's great.  But maturity demands that you ask yourself those serious questions and then ask yourself if you are really being fair to this horse.  Can you care for him the way he might need to be cared for when an expensive accident happens?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You've made a big decision by not going to college or university. Remember...the best laid plans do not always pan out. And living is expensive. You have to consider not only do you need 'x' amount for this or 'y' amount for that, but there are also incidental costs in your own life that you can't plan for. Perscriptions, groceries, oil change for the car, insurance, furniture, clothing, etc etc etc. I live with someone and we both contribute to my horse habit, and we're still poor. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As mentioned, a long term lease is a great idea. I know how important ownership is, but if the lease is going well, you can take the extra money and show, and not have to worry about anything else. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Littlegreymare » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I feel I should chip in here.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Post-Secondary education is not necessarily an option for *everyone*. It certainly wasn't for me, with no outside financial help whatsoever.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#It's also not the be all and end all.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#When my peers were just starting to attend university, I was WORKING for the university. Believe it or not, experience can pay off more than education from time to time if you have the work ethic and you know how to learn. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#You do need to decide your direction in life, and have a set goal to work towards, and then focus on gaining practical experience if post-secondary isn't an option.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Katie, I'm extremely impressed with how far you've come, you and Velcro make a great team too!#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Patricia's right, if you can keep free-leasing him for awhile longer, it would probably be best. I do know how much that piece of paper is worth to you, I'm the same way :) But as long as you have a good understanding with his current owner, and she won't pull him out from underneath you, then stick with it as long as you can.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Perhaps avoid looking for stable specific work, check into retail stores, even temp agencies have jobs for 16yr olds that may pay a little more than a typical fast food place.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Then you can work your horse time in around that :)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Littlegreymare » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Oh!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Another excellent option would be to get into the trades.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#You don't have to pay for the schooling, and it's all done with hands-on work. There are several different directions to take, and the pay, once you are done your apprenticeship is excellent and very rewarding!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#You'll start off in the $8 range with most of the trades and get a $2-3 raise every term/year :-) #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well, i didn't go for university or college....university, IMO, would be, for me, a waste of time with no practical learning experience at all......and i just never got around to going to college (i was looking after a little baby!). i did insist on graduating high school, and then after a few years i went and did some computer classes. education only counts for so much & honestly, from what i've seen, most places look for your relevant experience first......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#now, about the horse.......if you can keep fre leasing him for now, just do that......there's no immediate reason to buy him right? he's not going to auction or the meat house anytime soon is he? and while a part boarder may not ride exactly the same as you...this is why you have them come see the horse & you, and you check them out, how they handle your horse, how the horse responds to them, etc.....it's not easy to find the perfect PB for your horse, but it can be done.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Next

Return to General