Weekend -- no repeats, please

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Weekend -- no repeats, please

Postby draftdriver » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:39 am

I just got through a really tough weekend. My very elderly horse, Miss, had been diagnosed with Cushings more than 10 years ago, and had been faring well on Pergolide, aside from the usual long hair problem. On Friday night, on the way into the barn for supper, she tripped badly on a rock that she has been walking around for 20+ years. I thought she was going to go down, but she righted herself, and got into the barn. I decided that I should buy the wherewithall to install a floodlight at the barn door so she could see better. Saturday morning, I waited until it was light out before doing the morning feed, hoping this would help her. Nope, she tripped very badly again. So, after considerable rushing around to various stores, I managed to get the flood light up and in operation before the evening feed. Darn it all, she fell over the rock again! Unsettled by this, and also by a phone call to tell me that a friend had been found dead in her home (natural causes), I didn't get to sleep until after 2:00 a.m. Sunday. I had decided that I would phone local farmers to find one with a tractor and bucket large enough to move the rock out of the way.

Sunday morning, Miss seemed to be in a bewildered state out in the field. Babe, the big Belgian, proceeded to kick and bully her, and Miss didn't seem to be able to get out of the way. I got the other horses in, and then Miss came up to the barn, and walked into the side of it! I got her inside, and she walked into the front of her stall wall instead of through the door. Once in the stall, her head and neck jerked sideways like a person with Parkinson's Disease would. She couldn't seem to co-ordinate her mouth to eat, although she was not at all unsteady on her feet. I realized then that what I was probably seeing was something related to end-stage Cushings. The tumour on the pituitary gland had enlarged to the point that she had gone blind. I put in a call to the vet. As I was waiting for a return call, I tried to feed Miss carrots, but her mouth twisted up to the side, and she had a hard time managing them. When the vet arrived, she determined that what we were probably seeing was seizure activity related to pressure on the brain. So I decided that this should be the end. We put Miss to sleep in her pasture, not far from where she had her one and only foal. I like the symbology -- the circle of life and death -- that this represents. When the vet was leaving, she gave me a big hug, and said I had done the right thing.

My sister arranged for a backhoe to come. The gentleman was very considerate and gentle with the body (I couldn't watch that part), and he smoothed the earth softly over her resting place. He even smoothed out the ground where his backhoe's landing pads had made indentations.

I'm sad, of course, but not as devastated as I was by the loss of Miss's daughter, Clover, at age 11. Miss was remarkably healthy, except for the Cushings. She was sound, in good weight, and had never had colic or lameness issues. We competed at Medium 1 level (Second Level they call it nowadays) in dressage. We did a competitive trail ride, did lots of hacking, and a little jumping. I could take her anywhere, even into the midst of groups of wheelchairs, where she soaked up pats and praises from handicapped elderly individuals. She lived a good, full life, she reached her potentials, and had a kind ending, without pain, as far as I could tell.

We got finished in the field just before the first of the storm fronts came through. An hour later, the second front arrived. Let me mention that I live in a mobile home. Well, this second front came in like Doom. It got pitch black, and I could hear an odd whistling noise, like a jet engine. Then an odd, snorgling noise. I realize that snorgle isn't a word, but it is descriptive. The noise sounded like the inhale phase of a snore, heard through a long, large vacuum cleaner hose. This alternated with the high-pitched whine at about 10 second intervals. Tornado! I thought. I got the dog to lie down beside me in the hallway, where at least book cases wouldn't crush me if the house tipped. The noises went on for about a minute and a half, then lots more rain and thunder. I'm absolutely positive that a funnel cloud must have passed overhead without touching down. When that was over, I scooted out to the barn to check on my remaining 3 horses. They were OK, thank goodness, but needless to say I was toast by that time. I went into the house and dosed myself with Rescue Remedy. I really needed it by then.

So that was my weekend. Farewell Grecian Miss, 1974 - 2005. You can see a picture of us in competition the early 1980s here, or on her 30th birthday, here if you are so inclined. Miss, I'll look for you at the other end of the Rainbow Bridge, and we can travel the green pastures there together.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm so sorry to hear about your weekend. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The pictures were lovely, and thanks for sharing. This is never an easy time. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby chenders01 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Awww, DD  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/9.gif"#ed_cl#  What a weekend!  But I think you did right by Miss, to let her go quietly when her time came.  She looked to be a real special girl.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hugs to you at this difficult time #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby MacnRio » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#DD, I'm so sorry for your loss.  You did the kindest thing for her - she will never know pain, you ended it before she suffered.  And she is now with her daughter over the rainbow bridge.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She was a gorgeous horse.. And you'd never know she was 30 in the picture!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#AWH DD, I am so sorry I know you and Missy have been together for a very long time.  But she lived a good life with the best person in the world to care for her.   Take peace in knowing she is in a better place now.  Hope she says Hi to Bey for me who also died due to Cushions.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Foxie » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry to hear about your loss. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl# She looks beautiful in her pictures.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby rubberman » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry about your unfortunate weekend DD.  Rest assured that the decision you made, albeit difficult for you, was the kindest gesture possible for Missy.  It is always difficult to say goodby to an old friend.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
rubberman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Shoal » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:16 am

i almost started crying here at work after readying that.
I'm so sorry for your loss of a good friend (Miss), and of your human friend too.
:cry:

You did do the right thing though.
Shoal

Postby Judy F » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:39 am

I'm really sorry to hear about Miss DD!  She was something really
special.  I can still remember your winning ride at one of the
Dwyer Hill dressage shows!  But you did right by her and let her
go when the time came.   #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:55 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#DD - i'm sorry for your loss. you did the right thing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Lix » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am so so sorry DD.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/9.gif"#ed_cl#  But Miss is in a better place.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Trufflemaker » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Looks like Miss was a beautiful girl, and that she had a long and happy life with someone who loved her and took good care of her. You will have many happy memories to look back on, and for sure no regrets.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby horsemad! » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Godspeed, Miss.   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Katie » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your losses, dd.  And to think I was driving right past your farm when all this was happening.  Hugs.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And yes, that storm scared the be-jeeez out of me  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl#  That second front that came through was like something out of a bad movie.  One minute there was a clearing sky and the next, pure evil looking black.  I missed the noise you mentioned, but it wouldn't surprise me if that funnel cloud was part of it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What an awful weekend for you.  I hope you can remember all the good times with your mare.  She was gorgeous, and certainly did not show her age.  You gave her a peaceful transition to the rainbow bridge.  She'll thank you when you see her again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Katie

Postby jax » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm so glad she had you, especially when she needed you most.  My sincerest condolences.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby goldendryad » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm so sorry about your losses. Hard to lose two dear friends in the same weekend. But at least they were both peaceful, comfortable passings. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:26 pm

Oh It never rains but what it pours sometimes...sorry to hear that you lost you four legged friend, but we all know that you did the right thing by her....and it is sad that your human friend passed ...#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley13.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp;Aww, while i was reading that of course i was listening to a sad song.. Thats really sad but I'm glad you knew it was time and could face it... A lot of us have had or will have that problem and try to fight it. Im thinking of the tornato in relation..but i don't know. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The pictures of her were gorgous(sp?)! Im really sorry#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp; #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dee22 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#DD - I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mare. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It sounds like you had some great years together though, you did the right thing.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hugs! &nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby tbbrat » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and your horse, so close together.&nbsp; Miss must have been a wonderful horse, and you had a lot of good years together.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Next

Return to General