OVER REACHING

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

OVER REACHING

Postby cnd_cowgurl84 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok iv been out of the "horse world" for sometime and i recently just got a 3 year old TB filly.. and last night when i was riding i was told that she over reaches.. Is this a bad thing in the hunter world.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cnd_cowgurl84
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Not necessarily a terrible thing. She's overreaching, so she's hitting her front hooves with her back hooves. The main concern is the horse hurting themselves. A good farrier can fix this somewhat, and I'd buy a pair of bellboots for her. The nice thing about it, is that you'll never have to worry about her tracking up! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Jakesterd » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One simple solution is to square off the toes on the front feet so she "rolls over" a bit faster and therefore may move her foot out of the way of the hind foot moving forward.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A boot may help with preventing injury but you still need to get that foot out of the way faster!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#JD#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jakesterd
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Dee22 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:46 pm

Jakesterd wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One simple solution is to square off the toes on the front feet so she "rolls over" a bit faster and therefore may move her foot out of the way of the hind foot moving forward.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A boot may help with preventing injury but you still need to get that foot out of the way faster!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#JD#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#That's what my farrier has done with my mare and it's helped!  She still wears bell boots for protection as well. :)#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby pmc » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jakesterd is bang on! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But before changing the way her feet are trimmed, cowgurl, get a second (or third!) opinion on the overreaching issue, to make sure that it's valid.  Kind of in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought... #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby cnd_cowgurl84 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#im going out to the barn tongiht so i will talk to a few people and see what they think..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for everyones help#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cnd_cowgurl84
Newbies
Newbies

Postby goldendryad » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My boy over-reaches. It has a lot to do with build. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Buy a pair of bell boots, put them on the front feet and don't worry about it. Although I do agree with Jakesterd about the trimming.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby TrueColours » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey kiddo! You're over here too! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The other thing as well as everything else mentioned, remember that she is TOTALLY unfit so will not move the same way now as when she is fitter, and pushing from behind and lighter up front.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#IN a few months time you will find her a TOTALLY different horse and very possibly a totally different and lighter mover who IS able to get that front end extending out and out of the way of the back toes ... and over reaching will no longer even be an issue for her ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby cnd_cowgurl84 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey TC.. ya im here tooo.... ya i know she was better tonight when i rode her i really had to push for her to use the front end... and shes still growing she really butt high right now...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# PLUS she is getting her feet done tomorrow so maybe a trim will help aswell..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks everyone#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cnd_cowgurl84
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:38 am

Jakesterd wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One simple solution is to square off the toes on the front feet so she "rolls over" a bit faster and therefore may move her foot out of the way of the hind foot moving forward.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A boot may help with preventing injury but you still need to get that foot out of the way faster!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#JD#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You're back!! We were wondering if you were long gone or just on a hiatus ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby PerfectAngel » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sometimes overreaching can be helped with a good farrier, and work, but sometimes it just is a part of the breed...I have an Am. Saddlebred cross (1/4 Am Saddlebred / 1/4morgan / 1/2 QH) and he has a HUGE trot stride. My farrier trimmed his hind hooves differently, but he stills overreaches to the point that he cuts his heels, so he always has to wear bell boots (not in the field tho). For him, this is something that most likely go away. For a TB it may be different because the don't have the Am. Saddlebred trot...:P#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to General