What do you do with your trailer in winter.

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

What do you do with your trailer in winter.

Postby Chisholm » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you keep your trailer on the road for the winter, and if so how do you manage it?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Doesn't it get stuck in the snow when not  used?  This will be a first winter using my trailer.  I know last year I took it out once and that was quite the trip just getting it out and then parking it again.  Now this year I have much better tires on my truck which will help.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any ideas will be well appreciated.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now Eileen, I don't need to hear from you, you will be down in the sunny south with no snow. So behave yourself!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/14.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#can you keep it close to a wall like a barn or garage?  That helps keep the snow from surrounding the whole trailer.  We used the trailer in winter time and as long as the roads are not too deep in snow it handled well just take your time driving places.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:24 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#LOL ...you are right Chis...when I was still working and had my trailer here during the winter...I just put it in the shed and forgot about it till spring...unless it was an emergency....I like the idea of parking close to a protection or even under a lean to if you have access to one.  I guess my advice would be to let the weather decide when you would use the trailer...otherwise you may be asking for trouble.#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EatMyDust » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is our first winter with our trailer redone (my dad rebuilt a stock out of a 2 horse w/ living quarters.) He doesnt want to keep it outside, because the snow will get in it, so we are keeping it in our lean to, or right beside the barn, where the snow dont blow. Is it possible for you to put a tarp on it?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Piaffing » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I want to be able to use mine in the winter, so I'll be asking the person plowing the snow not to bury it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey super, the one idea is great about putting it up against a wall, I can back it against a wall and I can park it close to the shed on side that will be 2 sides protected, and the nice thing is, it's protected from the worst wind too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now if only I had somewhere inside to store my truck.  But it will come home with me next week and at least I can plug it in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its tough out where you are Chis, there's not too many 'sheltered' places to keep it! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At least you have room for the truck at home :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby BarnBratCSA » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use my trailer all winter when the roads are okay to haul to an indoor to ride.  It doesnt get too bad, I just ask the guy that plows the barn to plow out the trailer too.  He doesnt charge me any extra, and it makes it much easier to get in and out#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby draftdriver » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:17 am

I park mine for the winter. I put di-electric jel (available at Canadian Tire in the trailer accessory dept.) in the electric hookup of both the truck and trailer. This helps to prevent corrosion due to road salt getting into the plug-in slots. I also spray the hitch, the hitch recepical (sp?), all hinges and latches, and any seams that look iffy, with a good coating of white grease.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Emerald » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another thing a friend of mine Reccommended,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you have Rubber Mats, Pull them Up. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You don't want the moisture to eat away at the Wood, rotting the Floor Boards, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Emerald

Return to General