More progress...wow this is easy!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

More progress...wow this is easy!

Postby EatMyDust » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know I post alot about my rides with Dusty, but this one was great!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tonight I got home from school, and headed down to the barn, brought Dusty in, and groomed him. Since I got him, Ive had alot of problems picking his feet, he either leans on me, or just wont pick them up. I usually have to do one foot, do something go back, do the other one, go do something, so on and so worth. Well tonight, I said heck with it, bent over,and...picked his foot up. It was so weird. Ive never ever had it go that easy before. Since he was being such a good boy, I thought maybe I could introduce him to some new things. I have cute, but very curious kittens in my barn and one just happened to make it over to my feet(they are only 6 weeks, maybe younger) I picked it up, and let Dusty smell it. He was in love. So I grabbed a feed bag, and rubbed it over him. He was a gem. I gave him a treat, and groomed him over again, and then tacked up. I do this veryyy weird thing with Dusty when I want to know if I can trust him. I will do a simple flat lesson with him, without a helmet. He always knows when I dont have one on. Its sooo weird. He protects me,he doesnt try any funny business...nothing. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh and...from the wind on Sunday, it blew all of my jumps away, so we walked around the field pushing them back (they are made of barrels) it was getting hard dragging him behind me, so I put the reins over the saddle horn, and he followed me everywhere. I should have thought about getting the jumps before I decided to ride, but with this "getting dark earlier" crap Id rather waste time getting jumps with my horse, then running arounf trying to rush things. It also gave him and me a chance to warm up. So we move all the jumps and set them aside the ring. I figured Id just do some basic western stuff, and run the barrel pattern one or two times. I put my helmet where I could grab it. And set off. As soon as I got on he was a angel. We walked, jogged, trotted, and cantered. I worked on some turning(wow, we suck)and circles, worked on my position, his position, backing up, side passing, some barrel techniques, everything I could. He didnt do one bad thing, except be a little pooky! But wow! I was so happy, he thankfully, remembered the barrel pattern, but all we did was walk it. I just had to share though! I have my lesson, not next monday but the monday after and Ill have to let you all know how I do, AND! if we do well...Im showing hunter jumper in May. I know its alot of work, but its one class, two jumps, and is supposed to be fun!Im going to get some training from my instructor, and Im also getting free barrel lessons in the spring. Since my fall, me and Dusty have sure come along way...its hard to believe it was only a month ago. My next step is the trail. I have no idea how I can keep him from spooking. I guess Ill just have to take it step by step!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby EatMyDust » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#JUST SCHEDULED A TRAIL RIDE FOR TOMORROW. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess let you know how it goes sooner then what I thought.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im going witha horse that Dusty is literally in love with. As long as the other horse does no funny stuff, hopefully Dusty wont either.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad things are going better....just slap a helmet on your head girl! :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:14 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#good to hear your making some progress - congrats!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but yes - wear a helmet...........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby EatMyDust » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That was a once a year thing lol. Dont worry I usually always ride with my helmet on! Its my brother you should be worrying about! He jumps without one! AND ON THE CRAZY MARE!lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#With your coach there?? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby EatMyDust » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HA NO! SHED SHOOT HIM! Hes a stubborn boy who thinks he knows best...my parents yell him, i yell at him, he just doesnt care!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I forgot to post...Dusty used to love being groomed and the last month or so hes been so antzy,im think this cold air. Last night he fell asleep...Man Im loving this good horse thing! I have today off from school...Im going to put my rain coat on and bring him in and do it again! lol #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A friend's cousin used to do that..was good for lessons, and then he'd throw the helmet aside and go cross country when the coach wasn't looking...luckily he never got hurt ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby EatMyDust » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You couldnt catch me dead jumping without a helmet on, let alone cross country lol! Ive had to many falls from jumping, because I have no balance...but hey, a little walk trot, isnt going to kill me. lol and we have soft ground here...making it extra comfy when I fall....lol...from all the times ive fallen off (i think im at 19 in 14 monthes) I have always had my helmet on! lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby zooka » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#glad to hear he is being good for you!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to General