ok...so where to find a decent saddle?

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

ok...so where to find a decent saddle?

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok, so as the big guy only has a dressage saddle, i need to get an AP or jump saddle, as i don't want to be doing jumping in a dressage saddle (just weird!!)....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#so i'm looking for options to consider when trying to find a saddle. i can't afford brand spanking new. i'm not concerned really with how old it is, just as long as it's in decent shape & there no stitching falling out or broken trees etc......i'll need to get some jointed stirrups as they seem like the ticket for my ankles/knees.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#so what can you guys recommend as a cheap used saddle? or what do you suggest i look for in a potential saddle?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#obviously the fit (apparently he's very easy to fit - almost any saddle will fit him so i'm told) & condition.but is there anything else i need to think about......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#as i've not had ot find a saddle before.....i'm new to this whole saddle shopping idea!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

saddles

Postby tackforu » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#visit #ed_op#A href="http://www.thetackconnection.com"#ed_cl#www.thetackconnection.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# we list all the saddles we have on consignment and update every Friday, we have lots of styles, colours, prices and if you don't see any you like check back the following week. Sometimes if you don't have a lot to spend on a new saddle, you can get a great quality older one. All of our saddles are checked for trees and stitching and any faults are noted on the tag. Also unlike buying over the net or some cash deals, all our saddles are sold on trial for fit of rider and horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tackforu
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kaleena » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The Repeat Rider downtown has some saddles, I've looked their a few times. They also have a website but they don't update the saddle stock that regularly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Check ebay too, I got my stubben tristan dressage saddle for a steal of a deal even after shipping off there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Bakers has lots of used saddles, but seem to be over priced. Foxhunter also has some decent used ones. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The last time I was in the Richmond Hill Greenhawk they had a ton of used saddles upstairs, lots of different models and price ranges.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Why not try coming up to the Goldmil Tack sale this saturday and check out what they have? I know when I rode there he only had AP's and jumping tack. His stuff will probably be old but if you can grab something for $200 that will suit you for the winter while you look around for something more suitable for showing I think that might be an idea. (I'm going, I'm sure Spotz would be there to help you decide if there is one that would be good for you). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yah kaleena - i was debating going there.........i'm not riding til mid-afternoon, so maybe i'll just head up a bit earlier & make my way over to milts........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey BT!  Maybe DL can give you some recommendations on types of saddles you could look for.  Has she given you full freedom to buy whatever brand you want?  I mean, it's her horse, I'm sure she doesn't want any old piece of crap on his back LOL!! (not that you would BUY a piece of crap, but you may decide on a Wintec...or a Stubben...or some other brand, and she may say "NO WAY").  She should also have an idea of what size tree he needs as well.  That will also help you to narrow your search.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As far as where to look, several stores sell saddles on consignment and give you a trial period to try them out.  I'd probably go that route, as opposed to trying to buy one privately.  I know that Foxhunter near Stouffville was really good to deal with when I bought my Isabell.  You could check them out for any used saddles they may have:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://foxhunter.on.ca/tackshop.htm"#ed_cl#http://foxhunter.on.ca/tackshop.htm#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Bahr's also sells used saddles and lets you take them on a trial basis:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/"#ed_cl#http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ebay can also be a good place to get used stuff once you know exactly what saddle you want.  The only thing with Ebay though, is that if you're buying from across the border, you can really get hit with customs charges, so it's sometimes better to buy from within Canada.  Also, you can't try the saddle out when you buy off of Ebay, so you take a chance there of ending up with a saddle with a broken tree (or some other damage that renders it useless).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby horsemad! » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Buy older, good quality; don't get caught up in the newer/poor quality models (especially the cheapie Indian and Argentinian ones).   Doonaree in Cookstown often has good consignment saddles for reasonable prices.  You could call them and see what they've got.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you're looking for something nice, new and #ed_op#U#ed_cl#very#ed_op#/U#ed_cl# affordable for the quality, the CanPro jumping or AP is a lovely saddle... for about $900 (it listed for over $1200 a couple of years ago, but because it's not a big name brand, they've had to drop their price).   It's basically a Crosby, but for way less... something about CanPro having bought out the Crosby line or the Crosby manufacturer or something like that (I'm not too clear on the details).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Or you could buy my old Crosby ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:19 pm

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Or you could buy my old Crosby ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was going to suggest that word-of-mouth sometimes works too #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm going, on Saturday, to look at an older, used Circle Y western saddle.  It's apparently in good shape and is a lovely chocolate brown colour with *good* silver on it.  A saddle like this would normally sell in the $1K range but the people who are selling it only want 300 bucks for it.  And I found out about it from one of the other boarders at my barn, who heard that I was looking to buy a western saddle.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, yes, sometimes word-of-mouth is the best way to get a new saddle #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//grin.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Foxie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I bought my saddle at Bahr's. I'm very happy with it but it was pricey for a used saddle. They will let you try it out for a week and they give you the jointed stirrups too. It's a great selling technique. I rode in the Sprengers and shelled out the cash cuz I loved them soooo much!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try out Greehawk. I know their webiste has used saddles. Also try Apple Saddlery. They are the cheapest around for new saddles as well as used.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wouldn't go for an AP saddle if you are going to be doing alot of jumping. Close Contact for jumping. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good Luck!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby horsemad! » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#I jump in my AP and have never felt more effective or secure (I ditched my close close close contact, flat as a pancake, no knee roll saddle years ago)…#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Many APs are great for jumping – it’s what you’re comfy in.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well, as 99% of the riding i've done has been in an AP, i'd rather go with an AP. i just prefer them...the few close contacts i've ridden in....wasn't too keen on them. i'd almost rather ride in a dressage saddle (*gasp*) then a CC!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HM - $900.00 is more than my rent, lol..........no way i'll spend that much on a saddle!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i'm not going to rush out to buy one right away, as i don't plan on jumping the big guy immediately. i'd rather work on flat work first & build up the rapport between him & i. i have a flat lesson on him next weekend, but this wknd i'm going solo, just hanging out & trying to figure out the basics with him...............#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i just wanted to keep an eye & ear out (plus ask you guys....) and see what sort of stuff i'd be looking at when i got around to it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#anything more i ought to look for? lemme know.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well let me know BT...its in fabulous shape and I'm only asking $300 for it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can usually find some good deals kicking around when desparate poor people like me want to get rid of tack ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Foxie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Most of the newer CC's have knee rolls as well as deeper seats. My Stubben is very comfortable and I'm very secure in the saddle. I was told not to get the AP if you were going to be jumping alot. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try looking at the EMG site. They always have people selling saddles. Maybe you'll see something that fits what you are looking for as well as your budget.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GS - you gonna drive it down here? LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#foxie - EMG - i forget about there all the time because i never go to that site...maybe i ought too...i've scoped out the EC saddle ads.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL BT..maybe I will...mmaaayyybbbeee I will ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Post an ad on EMG..you'll be AMAZED at what people are selling. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby TequillaJack » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try Greenhawk #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.greenhawk.net/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/scstore/preowned/allpurpose.html?L+scstore+hcdy0949ff896d89+1131583014"#ed_cl#http://www.greenhawk.net/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/scstore/preowned/allpurpose.html?L+scstore+hcdy0949ff896d89+1131583014#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#or Apple#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.applesaddlery.com/c233065_en/c241088/c242262/index.html"#ed_cl#http://www.applesaddlery.com/c233065_en/c241088/c242262/index.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby horsemad! » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#$300 for a previously loved Crosby sounds like a good deal...  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is *sigh*..but most people in the market for a close contact would rather pay $1000 on the Argentina made saddles or the HDR saddles, etc etc before spending $300 on a no-knee roll really well made saddle. The billets look like I've used the saddle for 6 months instead of years, the leather is in great shape, its a wide tree and in fantastic shape. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have it on trial to a girl in the barn. If it doesn't work out I'll keep it until I have a horse that fits it. I love it, it just doesn't fit my hard to fit horse. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to General