Helmets

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Helmets

Postby EatMyDust » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How many of you wear helmets? I almost always wear mine, but when I go to shows and stuff there are so many people without them on. I wouldnt even consider going into the show ring with out on on my head! The other thing is, alot of the people without helmets on, are the young kids, or teens like me(except me,  I have mine on!) Just wanted to hear your input!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, any place/show organization that allows kids (under-18s) to ride without a helmet is really setting themselves up for a risk, as most insurance companies require under-18s to wear helmets.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am at a western barn.  None of the adults who ride western wear helmets but ALL the kids do because the BO makes it a requirement that they MUST wear one.  It's also a requirement that if you are riding english, regardless of your age, you MUST wear a helmet.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I always wear my helmet...always, ALWAYS, regardless of what type of saddle I'm sitting in, or what I'm doing.  My skull is just too important to me, to put it at risk.  It's just an automatic thing for me, like putting on my seatbelt when I get in the car.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But I don't really care if others wear theirs.  I figure it's their brain and their choice as to whether they want to protect it or not.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Edited because my "8" keeps being changed into a cool smiley face#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by chenders01 on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#99% of the time i wear mine....i'm bad, i admit - there been a few times where i haven't.......but now that i'm riding a serious horse, i'll be wearing it all the time!! esp since i'll be jumping!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby EatMyDust » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If its basic work, no jumping, no running, no barrels, then I wont wear mine 1% of the time also. But when I know Im going to be doing serious work, like training, running, or jumping then that helmet is right up on my head.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh btw, my saddle club has the under 18 rule, where you must wear a hemlet in the show ring. But they dont have much control over what you do when no ones in the ring. They just expect you to be safe!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby draftdriver » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:01 pm

Every ride, every time.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kaleena » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I always, always wear mine and I always, always will :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:09 pm

EatMyDust wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If its basic work, no jumping, no running, no barrels, then I wont wear mine 1% of the time also. But when I know Im going to be doing serious work, like training, running, or jumping then that helmet is right up on my head.
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The type of work really doesn't matter, EMD.  I have seen accidents happen when a person was just hacking around (horses can spook for ANY reason).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Chisholm » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just wear your hard hat all the time not matter what you are doing and then you never have to question it.  It's all about safety and life!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And this coming from someone who once apon a time jumped without a helmet, many many years ago.  BAD GIRL I know! LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I now feel naked without my helmet.  I have gotten on my horse without my helmet and went like what's wrong something doesn't feel right then I realize what I am missing, and off to the barn I go to get it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can thank my current horse for making me realize the importance, he can be very light on his feet and could send me flying at any moment.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby EatMyDust » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes Yes I know. I always wear mine when trail riding. Dustys WAYYY to spooky to not even consider not wearing one on a trail! When I do basic work, I do it in the pasture, and its usually walk, trot. Hes such a good ring horse, hes a different horse and wouldnt hurt a fly! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Mystic » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wear mine at all times. I opted to ride one day last winter without it thinking my head would be warmer in my wook baseball cap, only to have that be the one day my mare spooks big time and I hit the dirt. Luckily my head never impacted the ground but I've never even considered riding without it after that close call. Some of the adults that do straight dressage don't wear helmets at my barn but for the most part everyone does whether they are doing dressage or jumping.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for the under 18s not wearing helmets at shows, the show organizers are really setting themselves up for trouble should something happen. As far as I know it is now illegal for anyone anywhere under the age of 18 to be mounted without a helmet with harness. And the h/j shows I go to in my area anyone mounted whether they are over 18 or not, jumping or not must be wearing a helmet with the harness done up if they are mounted. Also I was under the impression that since Ian Millar had his serious fall a number of years ago when his helmet came off that anyone showing anywhere over fences must wear an approved helmet with harness.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Whatever, EMD.  It's your brain...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby MacnRio » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Always, always have mine on!  It is also a rule at my barn, if you get on a horse you have a helmet on. No helmet on = no riding.  No excuses that I dont have one that fits either. I bought 2 adjustable helmets, a S/M and a L/XL.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It just doesn't feel right to not wear one.  I even wore one when working with Moose the other day, on the ground, with something totally new to him. At 1600lbs a wrong step by either or both of us could end up in disaster.  The other individual that was working with Moose and I also had a helmet on. Normally won't wear one on the ground if just doing ground work, but with Moose I have!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But again, I'm one who - if not on my property (insurance reasons) - doesn't care if someone wears one, it really is personal preference.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Azalee » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I always wear a helmet.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/21.gif"#ed_cl#  I got a bad concussion a year ago while just walking calmly on a hack.  Horse suddenly did major acrobatics and down I went.  Who knows how bad it could have been if I wasn't wearing a helmet?  And it's always when you least suspect it, too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Exactly chenders..and honestly, you only have one head. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The worst spill I ever took was cooling down in an arena, at a sedate walk. Let that be a lesson to everyone--it doesn't matter who what when where why--don't be irresponsible and put the helmet on!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby EatMyDust » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK OK OK! I GET THE POINT! SORRY FOR ASKING!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Azalee » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:36 pm

Mystic wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for the under 18s not wearing helmets at shows, the show organizers are really setting themselves up for trouble should something happen. As far as I know it is now illegal for anyone anywhere under the age of 18 to be mounted without a helmet with harness.
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yup, here is the text of Ontario's #ed_op#A href="http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/01h04_e.htm"#ed_cl#Horse Riding Safety Act#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#.  Although it states that anyone under 18 must wear a helmet while on a horse, not a pony.  Guess this is all for those carny pony ride operators.  Huh, anyone remember the big hullabaloo a couple years ago when a kid fell off a Shetland at Centre Island?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:46 pm

EatMyDust wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK OK OK! I GET THE POINT! SORRY FOR ASKING!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, once again, to reiterate what was said in an earlier post this week, if you ask a question, DON'T be surprised when you get answers that differ from what you were HOPING to hear.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Honestly...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EatMyDust » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know I know. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Everyone jumps to the worst conclusions though!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's not that--its hard to convey emotion to someone across the internet..when we hear that you don't wear a helmet, we react to that. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby EatMyDust » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They have these new helmets, they were in the last edition of horse canada, they are blue in the magazine, used for barrel racing or something,..cant remmeber#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Did anyone else see them#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Next

Return to General