Helmets

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Will have to look--I just got a copy of the magazine#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Dee22 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do wear a helmet but I *am* guilty for wearing one that isn't approved and with no chin strap.... I know, I know, PLEASE don't jump all over me everyone, I've heard it before LOL (And I do you your all just looking out for me ;) )#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I have been feeling rather 'guilty' lately for not wearing a helmet.... and I have been thinking about purchasing a new one that's approved and will actually save my head if I have a fall....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#BUT, I can't seem to find one that doesn't make me look like the Great Gazoo! They're all so big and bulky.... I had ordered a Charles Owen Hampton helmet. I was very excited to receive it, I ordered it in navy blue.... I got it, tried it on and swore I would never wear that thing! Made my head about 10 times it's regular size.... so I sold it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know having my head safe is more important than what a helmet looks like but can't I have both? .... If anyone has a suggestion of a helmet that is half decent looking, that won't make me look like a cartoon character wearing an army helmet... lemme know and I'll check them out that the Royal tomorrow :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsemad! » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In all the (many many) times I've fallen off, it's never been on my head *touching wood*...  still, I wear my helmet.  Feels weird without for me, but I truly don't care if someone makes the choice not to wear one or to wear an unapproved or whatever.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for approved helmets that don't look weird, Dee.  I like Tipperary ones... they're popular in eventing - and I see lots of dressage riders schooling in them too.  They're very sporty - not traditional at all... and don't make you look too much like the Great Gazoo.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Foxie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ALWAYS!!! I don't want anyone having to change my diaper until I'm like 95.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Foxie on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dee22 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HM - Thanks for the suggestion :) Although, I really like the traditional look of the velvet hunt cap. Problem is, their huge!#ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/cliparts/1.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/cliparts/1.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsemad! » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Yes, the black velvet types tend to have a huge profile.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Too bad none of the helmet manufacturers have figured out that those who go traditional would prefer not to look like an alien!#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#   #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#You should see the new GPAs.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#   #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Absolutely heinously FUGLY!#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#They look like giant fly heads! #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Shoal » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:58 pm

I feel naked without my helmet. It's like driving without wearing my seatbelt.

Horsemad, you're luck you haven't fallen on your head.
I took a REALLY serious fall 10 yr ago. I landed on my face and slid through the dirt. My helmet cracked and peole thought it was my neck.

After I was finished sliding through the dirt I ended up face down on the ground with my feet over my head infront of me.
I went to the hosipital with a broken nose, but nothing else. Thank the Lord!
Shoal

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I always wear mine. I have two, one for at home and one where Boomer is. I don't particularly like the giant head look either, but my brain is scrambled enough as it is without adding concussion, of which I have had 1 fairly bad one (pretty close to the last time I rode without a helmet, that did occur when I fell of the pony I was riding and hit the arena wall with my head before I hit the ground, lucky for me not at speed) and 2 minor ones, neither of which were caused by falling off horses. One when I stood up underneath the fixed chest bar in my old trailer, and one that occured in mosh pit when someone who was crowd-surfing accidently kicked me on the top of my head.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Dee22 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:07 pm

horsemad! wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Yes, the black velvet types tend to have a huge profile.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Too bad none of the helmet manufacturers have figured out that those who go traditional would prefer not to look like an alien!#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#   #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#You should see the new GPAs.#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#   #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#Absolutely heinously FUGLY!#ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#They look like giant fly heads! #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"#ed_cl#Yep, not a fan of the GPA either.. and they charge $395 to boot! NO Thanks!#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#You're right, it would be nice if the helmet manufactures realized that traditionalists like our helmets, not so..... mushroom like! LOL#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsemad! » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:12 pm

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#
Shoal wrote:Horsemad, you're luck you haven't fallen on your head.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I took a REALLY serious fall 10 yr ago. I landed on my face and slid through the dirt. My helmet cracked and peole thought it was my neck.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I did the broken nose thang once too... but I landed square on my face, not my head.#ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/2.gif"#ed_cl#  It was shortly after I'd broken my right hand and my left wrist in a fall... and I distinctly remember thinking as I was falling "I know what happened last time I broke my fall with my hands..." so I pulled my hands back and let my face take the impact.    At the time I was wearing my unapproved, item of apparel only hunt cap.  The brim was smushed!  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another victim of landing on my face, luckily with no broken nose. And at a show to boot! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby horsemad! » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It took me a long time to get over that... I can still picture the ground and fence post rushing toward my face if I let myself think about it - and recall the taste of blood in my mouth.  ICK ICK ICK  The psychological effects were much worse than the physical (even if the broken nose was gross).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Mystic » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:52 pm

horsemad! wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In all the (many many) times I've fallen off, it's never been on my head *touching wood*...  still, I wear my helmet.  Feels weird without for me, but I truly don't care if someone makes the choice not to wear one or to wear an unapproved or whatever.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for approved helmets that don't look weird, Dee.  I like Tipperary ones... they're popular in eventing - and I see lots of dressage riders schooling in them too.  They're very sporty - not traditional at all... and don't make you look too much like the Great Gazoo.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I totally agree. I needed to buy a new lightweight helmet at the beginning of the spring. I tried on the Troxel ones but they just didn't fit. Wasn't quite sure about the Tipperary ones until I tried it on. I absolutely love this helmet. It fits perfectly and I can even show in it since I'm in the Jumper ring.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/11.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Unless you're showing hunter or dressage then go with what fits, regardless of looks. I tried on the Troxel, the GPA and the Tipperary and only the Tipperary actually fit me properly. I still have my velvet hunt cap but only use that for clinics and the dead of winter.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby horsemad! » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When it comes time to replace my IRH skunk style helmet, I hope to go with a Tipperary... if they have one big enough!  I have a huge melon! #ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/6.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Shoal » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:02 pm

horsemad wrote:
The psychological effects were much worse than the physical (even if the broken nose was gross).

It took me a long time to get over taht one too!
I think, wow I could have been a Christopher Reeves

My sister has a huge melon too, so the new helmets they have out look so BIG on her head. I laugh everytime I see her in it. :lol:
Shoal

Postby Chisholm » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Many years ago when I finally gave in a bought a new helmet, you could only the really big melon head internationals.   Well it looked awful but I must say it save my nose the day my young horse reared up on me and snapped her neck into my face and broke the peak  of the helmet, I had nice black eyes too, but my nose was fine.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Re: Helmets

Postby Pilgram » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:34 pm

EatMyDust wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How many of you wear helmets? I almost always wear mine, but when I go to shows and stuff there are so many people without them on. I wouldnt even consider going into the show ring with out on on my head! The other thing is, alot of the people without helmets on, are the young kids, or teens like me(except me,  I have mine on!) Just wanted to hear your input!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I always wear my helmet. The same with my vest that i will be picking up soon. i put it like ( you never go to mall with out your shoes so why go to the ring with out your helmet ) just my motto.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BORN TO RIDE--FORCED TO WORK
When riding you borrow freedom!
Live well,Laugh lots,Ride often.
**Apples are so over-rated~ A Horse I know**
Pilgram

Postby funkey munkeyza » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#in my opinion if u don't wear a helmet you're dancin with death lol i understand there's a certain "look" ppl want but still i'd rather look stupid with my helmet on than to potentially have my brains turned into mush. I use to ride this dead broke draft horse and i still managed to fall off of her when my tack slipped and it did knock my head around a bit. so please ppl wear the helmets! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
funkey munkeyza
Newbies
Newbies

Postby contessa » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am happy to say that I have never ridden without a helmet and never will. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//happy.gif"#ed_cl#  lol! The worst fall I've had was three years ago but it was just in the arena doing flat work.. My horse is NOT a spooky horse at all so I have no clue what he spooked at but he would #ed_op#U#ed_cl#not#ed_op#/U#ed_cl# stop running! (I have to admit though, once I realized I had lost my balance and couldn't get back up I was extremely tense which did not help.. but that was three years ago and I've improved a lot since then.. only fallen off once since!) Anyway.. I managed to land flat on my head and was knocked out for four minutes #ed_op#IMG height=16 src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//ermm.gif" width=17#ed_cl# thankfully I had my trusty helmet on #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//ec-thumbup.gif"#ed_cl#  ..I don't agree with anybody who says they can ride without a helmet because it is "only arena work" because you just never know  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
contessa
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ridingdouds » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:26 pm

I remember the days when I was breaking horses and ride bareback out on
trails without a helmet. I would NEVER do this again. I admit that was
stupid! Now I wear an approved Troxel for every single ride, no matter
what the horse is like.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Ridingdouds
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PreviousNext