Diagonals

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Also remember that when you are approaching a jump at a trot, you should be sitting before the jump and then again after for a couple of strides.  Sitting trot after the jumps lets you gather yourself (& horse), look for your diagonal before you start to post.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Don't beat yourself up about it, relax and all of a sudden it will come.  Try the tape because it will help you see the movement.  Practice will help you feel it as well.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Imagine trying to get diagonals without seeing them.  My son is legally blind and he has a VERY smooth moving horse to ride.  He has difficulty at times too.  REALLY try to get them by feel.  This is what I like to tell him.  Rise and fall with the leg on the wall.  Shoulder up, your up.  So you can't see it.  You say your horse is too fast....Do a transition from walk to a controlled trot....SITTING....sit a few strides into the transition and relax and let the horse through you from the saddle.  Do NOT force yourself out of the saddle and interfere with his movement.  When I get him thinking this way he gets it 90% ...it is all about feel and being in unison with your horse.  You can do w/t transitions all over the arena ever few strides.  Practice 50.  That work is great too for slowing your horse and developing better rythmn.  On a circle you will/should be able to feel it even better as it will feel stilted.  This is something you can work on with your coach in the warm-up part of your ride.  He/she can shout out right or wrong...then if wrong quickly sit bounce, bounce to correct.  I find this an important part of riding...if your not in sync with your horse...it can be frightening to be jumping...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Previous

Return to General