Diagonals

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Diagonals

Postby EatMyDust » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok, I feel so stupid. Ive been riding for two years and I still cant tell when Im on the right diagonal, Ive asked my instructor, and she explains it to me,but I just cant do it . I know that when the outside leg is forward your up...but its moving to fast for me to tell. Is there anyway I can find out when Im on the right diagonal, and when Im on the wrong one?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What your instructor has taught you is correct...when the outside front leg goes forward, you go up.  But if you can't see it...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How about asking for a lunge-line lesson?  Get your coach to say "up" every time you should be rising, then look down until you can SEE that outside leg going forward.  After awhile, you should be able to look down and tell for yourself, when you should be going up.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The other way you can do it is by feel but you need a bumpy horse to be able to learn it this way.  Bumpy horses will usually throw you out of the saddle when you should be rising.  If your horse's trot is really smooth, you sometimes can't tell.  I'll bet that pony you rode for you last lesson would be a good one to ride for this.  Ponies typically are pretty bumpy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Azalee » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you slow your posting down, that will slow the horse down so you can tell by looking.  As for feeling the diagnol...I can do that but I'm not sure how to explain it.  It's easiest to tell when the horse is bending, though.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its a two beat gait. The horse's legs move in diagonals, so when you ride its a quick one-two-one-two beat. The lunge line lesson is a fantastic idea. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another idea is to put different colored polos on the front legs, then it is easier to see when that leg is forward. Red for right and lilac for left or something like that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby jax » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Easiest way to check your diagonal is to look down at the shoulder. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Easiest way to feel if you are on the right diagonal is to try a small circle while posting. If it feels weird, its probably wrong.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A small trick to learn to watch the shoulder movement is to put a small piece of coloured tape (duct tape) on one shoulder.&nbsp; So when your riding you see the forward movement of the shoulder.&nbsp; That way when the tape moves forward - you go up!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know if polos would work, because you would have to be leaning almost out of the saddle to see your horses lower legs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Actually if you use bright color polos&nbsp;it works not too badly, but the duct tape idea is probably&nbsp;a little easier.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmmm.... hard to explain..once you know how to swicth them.. every2 beats or something like that.. it will be easy to stay on the correct diagonal.. After doinig it for a while ... you go back and fourth from western to english.. you get it right away#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Before i even go up from a trot to a walk i will auto matically sit and feel the horse to see where he is and where i should be.. Its hard to describe but once you get it you'll know it forever..sorry not much help!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Megan Ball » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try going at a slow trot while doing a sitting trot and just watch the outside shoulder. That way you don't have to worry about your diagonal til you've got it right(looking for it)&nbsp;and keep it a slow trot so it's easier to see the shoulder.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Mystic » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:56 pm

Ruth wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Actually if you use bright color polos&nbsp;it works not too badly, but the duct tape idea is probably&nbsp;a little easier.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The polos might work depending on your&nbsp;horse's movement. It wouldn't work on my mare though as she has a high knee action as opposed to being a daisy cutter so I can't see her cannon bones when she's trotting.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you have mirrors in your arena (not all do) then use them as you trot by to see if you're on the right diagonal.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby Judy F » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:31 pm

Actually, I've always found it easier to see the outside shoulder coming back -- then you're supposed to be sitting.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Riding on the wrong diagonal can make your horse appear off balance,
but, according to my Level 3 dressage coach (M judge), it is not a
fault and shouldn't cost you marks during a dressage test.&nbsp; Hunter
now, is something else.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby funkey munkeyza » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been told that if ur not sure to sit for 3 strides and then rise and it shoul automatically put you back on the right diagonal i might be wrong on the amount of strides tho....so correct me if i'm wrong...... my advice is to play with it and see what works for you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
funkey munkeyza
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Again..lunging and lessons. Posting and diagonals are basics that everyone should learn how to do, recognize and practice before they move on to more complicated exercises such as jumping. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby pmc » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wee pmc had the same problem for ages!&nbsp; She just couldn't really tell when that leg came forward because, riding a big horse, she just couldn't see it! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Our coach used the strip of duct tape on Snicker's shoulders, too, and called, "Up!" "Up!" everytime she should be rising, all the while having her focus on how the duct tape (and the shoulder underneath it) was moving at that precise second.&nbsp; Once she got the picture of it in her mind, the duct tape was removed.&nbsp; She been reliable ever since! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#funkey munkey... its 2 strides.. hard to understand untill you 'get it' this one girl i have to tell her to sit 1 stride and she'll come up on the right one because she is late comming up so she will come up on the 3rd stride and still be wrong. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby pmc » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And using the "two stride sit" to correct your posting diagonal only works after you've learned how to tell that you're on the wrong one in the first place... #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by pmc on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EatMyDust » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I jump, and do all the stuff now. How does that effect how I post?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im lost! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can get it 60% of the time..but thats by trial and error.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby pmc » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:34 am

EatMyDust wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I jump, and do all the stuff now. How does that effect how I post?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im lost! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can get it 60% of the time..but thats by trial and error.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#The point is that you should have learned how to do it as part of your flat training *before* ever starting to jump. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby EatMyDust » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used to be able to do it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And when I got Dusty everything cahnged because I wasnt posting, I was sitting...So now I get confused.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know how to tell...I just cant get it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im going to try the duct tape thing...hopefully that will work! lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Next

Return to General