Help with Blankets!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Help with Blankets!

Postby Trufflemaker » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I spent the afternoon repairing a rainsheet. It's not easy, and it's the second or third time I've had to do major repairs on it. It was NEW last fall. The horses my girl was turned out with last winter were both responsible for the tears I believe, so I don't know how the blankets will last in this new place. The sheet she's wearing today shows evidence that someone tore it, so I am planning to bring that one home and get out the sewing machine again. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The rainsheets I have are both Weatherbeeta lined sheets. They are a pain in the a$$ to mend because of the lining. And I seem to have to repair them a LOT. grrrrr. Oh yeah, my mare is very messy (still in heat...) and her blankets need to be washed frequently. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am thinking that maybe I should change to a different system, using a separate liner and sheet so that they are easier to repair. I have seen other people use this system. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can anyone offer me any recommendations as far as brands, materials to look for, etc. go?  Any reasons why I should or shouldn't go this route? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks in advance for your help! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I buy Weatherbeeta due to their durability! Strange you have to mend it. How is he ripping it? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use aWeatherbeeta sheet with liners underneath. I hate to say it, but spend the money, go top line (Bucas for example) and you'll see a difference. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another thing I do is spray all of my blankets with ScotchGuard. Works great. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby cnd_cowgurl84 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree spend the money on a good quality rain sheet....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have the amego shell its made by the same people who make the rambo and rino.. i love it.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#plus i have the shedrow(not as thick as the amego.. ) i havent used it yet so im not too sure how it will hold up... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cnd_cowgurl84
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:46 pm

cnd_cowgurl84 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree spend the money on a good quality rain sheet....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have the amego shell its made by the same people who make the rambo and rino.. i love it.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#plus i have the shedrow(not as thick as the amego.. ) i havent used it yet so im not too sure how it will hold up... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ahhh rambo..another fave of mine. I was NOT impressed with Shedrow last year, I found they ripped too easily. I like their liners though. We left two Shedrows on a blanket rack outside his stall door, he hung his head over (the top was open) and proceeded to rip them apart for his amusement and ruin my brand new woof boots. Ahh..to own horses ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I much prefer the Shedrow waterproof shells to a rainsheet. I only use a blanket for rain when it is cold, like less than 5, so I prefer the thickness of the shell. They also seem to stand up fairly well in regards to tears. I find with rainsheets that they eventually leak anyway, whereas the shells don't seem to. As an added bonus they aren't terribly expensive either, and have the detachable leg straps.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby cnd_cowgurl84 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GS- that really sux about your new boots.. gotta love horse and what they do for there amuzment.. LOL.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#rambo blankets are the best im going to get her one next year that or a bucas? not to sure yet.. im still resuching. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but i still love the amego tho..i would recoment it to anyone and its not that expensive..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cnd_cowgurl84
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Keetee » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:14 pm

My gelding used to always get his blankets ripped off.  We bought
a Bucas over 8 years ago and it's only got one tiny tear and otherwise
is still in great shape.  Our barn manager says its the only
blanket she's every seen that never gets wet on the inside, from sweat,
rain or melting snow.  However, I have heard that the Bucas
blankets are not as good anymore but that could just be a rumour. 
I have mainly weatherbeeta's now in part because my horses have had
buddies over the last few years that seem less inclined to rip their
blankets, and in part because Bucas blankets are very expensive.
Keetee
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Chisholm » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Shedrow all the way especially now with their waterproof shell!  They have totally redesigned them and I really like them, will be buying a new on shortly.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have never seen one Weatherbeeta that didn't fall to pieces.  Trufflemaker you probably got the same rainsheet that Nike wore at your old barn. His is in shreds too.  Nike now is the proud owner of a Shedrow for the winter.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Trufflemaker » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chis: Yes, it is like Nike's, the little #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley15.gif"#ed_cl#. He is responsible for many of the teeth marks I'm sure. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Graciespook: It gets ripped when another horse nips at her and tears it. Last year she was in with one guy who was very possessive of his food, and young Nike who was "playful" shall we say... Also once she rolled and it got twisted, and she somehow got her foot caught. That tore off one of the straps and made a nice tear. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I looked at Shedrow blankets this afternoon. They don't look much different from the Weatherbeeta ones I have, except maybe the material is a finer weave... it's hard to tell without a direct comparison. Are Bucas, Rambo, and Amego brand names themselves, or are they lines within a brand? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you use a shell, what kind of liner do you use underneath?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is there something you can spray on a rainsheet to make it taste bad to anyone who wants to bite it?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't use anything under the shell unless I am doubling it up with a warm stable blanket or two for the very frosty days.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Too bad you can't sprinkle hot peppers on it. I'm pretty lucky because Boomer is the second in command and the only one who would dare bite his blanket is older and doesn't play such games.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Trufflemaker » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The funny thing is, she is second in command in her herd so you would think her blankets would be safe. The lead mare does not play like that, and the bottom gelding wouldn't dare--although he is always hopeful that she'll allow him to graze within 20 feet of her presence. Two others in the same field have no interest in close contact. That was the whole turnout group, so I wasn't concerned about her blankets at all for this year.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#However, last week a new horse moved in and my mare REALLY likes him. She grazes nose-to-nose with him. When I caught her today he reached over and grabbed her neck in a love-bite. (He didn't hurt her, but did pull out some hair). That's why I'm pretty sure he's the one responsible for the chunk of fleece missing over the withers on her blanket. Unfortunately she's encouraging him! She goes right over to him when I put her back in the field and lifts her tail in his face, etc. I just hope she gets through this latest heat  and turns it OFF for the winter. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/6.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Someone told me about a foul-tasting spray that is available, so once I figure out what that is, maybe I will try it on the repaired blankets, and hope that they will last a little longer... I bought 3 top-of-the-line Weatherbeeta's last year, and not one of them is unscathed. I hope they'll last me at least this winter!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If thats the case, I would definitely go more expensive with a durable brand. I myself have had destructive horses, and the weatherbeeta seems to really do the trick, but to each his own. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to General