Leaving my barn, regret giving "notice" UPDATE

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby Patricia » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well if they have to worry about 2 flakes of hay it is time to GET OUT quick.  Hey if your barn isn't ready do you have an outside shelter for temporary...or even a neighbours to move to...The horses should always come first.  The few times I had a boarder in...he was the paying customer...best hay, best paddock....treated like a king.  I guess there is only a select few like that...it isn't as though your leaving to move to a BETTER barn...it is to go home.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Removed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ruth on Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Rio Roulette » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:25 pm

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good comeback. And its your perogative whether you blanket or not. I added the second blanket to the mix last night. Horrors of horrors! But we have a cold barn and he has virtually no coat. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#This is certainly my thinking. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Rio Roulette on Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Littlegreymare » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#And it's stories like these that make me so thankful for my relatively short experience with boarding so far.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Our current BO has been more than gracious having us there, and when we gave a months notice to move to a smaller/quieter barn, nothing changed.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Even the fellow boarders haven't treated us any differently.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Our horses have continued to be treated just the same and there have been no complications.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I am aquiring another horse and she will be going to our current barn. Had anything changed, I would have had second-thoughts. But I haven't had to worry in the least :-)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I wish all barn owners/managers had manners and morals.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby zooka » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wow i have heard lots of stories like this and experienced some stuff as well.  It is really sad that some barns get like this.  You would think if they wanted to show themselves as good buisness people they would remain civil so there is a chance that you would recommend them to other people instead of warning them not to go there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Champ » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#We almost had to take our previous BO's to court because of all the trouble they caused. it would have only been small claims court but my mom called and told them I was moving and they said that I owed them money for trailering which was only $20 and all this other stupid crap and then my mom just said to her well my daughter has cleaned her stall more than enough times when your supposed to be doing it and last week you put kept Champs brand new blanket (that i had just got that day) on while he was in at night when Katie said it was to come off and he ripped it apart while laying down with it on in his stall and it cost enough to get fixed so im pretty sure we are even lol gotta love the moms. and then she mentioned my dad fixing my horses stall when it was broken. oh and they used my horse in a lesson when i wasnt aware of it. My cousin rode my horse on Tuesdays for lessons and the other horse in her lesson that was being used in the lesson after wards had come up lame and the girl in the private lesson after my cousins showed up late so she didnt have time to tack up so they used Champ. I'm like Screw That....dont punish my horse in a two hour lesson because this kid showed up late. Oh i was fuming, like we have insurance on him but its still the point and after i moved people told me about all these other times they used him. god i hate that place, i wouldnt recommend it to anyone!! so the last couple weeks i made sure i stayed for all the lessons. She even asked me if my horse could be used once im like NOPE, he was already worked today.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#The night my horse had it on i was coming late to co-op the next morning around 10:00 (full day co-op i had) and my friend had only half days but this week she came in the morning. and she was like uh....Katie, Champs blanket is all ripped so i went out and sure enough he STILL had it on with it ripped and everything so the BO called later and i asked her about it and shes like "Oh, me must have done that right after I put him out" and at this point im fed up with people lying. So i'm just like yea whatever seeing how theres stuffing inside my horses stall that are on the bottom of his shavings and his blanket has staines on it :D URGH!!! I WAS MAD!!!! i hadnt even had it for 24 hours when it happened. but i still stayed and things continued on#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Champ on Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yikes RR! That's awful-not very business like at all! But, atleast you know that word of mouth travels around the horse world very fast and the BO will get her comeuppance.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The best thing I can say is to just try and keep it peaceful until you go- and hurry up out of there!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad things are better...are they home yet? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Rio Roulette » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nov 24 the trailer comes for them. 9:30 a.m. So the countdown begins.... 10 days.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby spotz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:32 am

I think that's awful how they treated you...10 days will fly by quickly!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I would never treat a horse badly because it's moving out....does a
superintendant treat you bad if you decide to move out of his
building?.....NO!! #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
 There are alot of reasons why people move & it isn't always
because of bad care....people move for many reasons!!  Having said
that I must say I always hated when boarders tried to get others to
move out with them by spreading rumors & saying bad things.......Do
you go around your apartment telling the neighbours to move out or
spreading bad rumors about your building?.....NO!!  I never
understood how people could be so mean as to want to empty a stable to
hurt an owner because of something they didn't like there!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Having been a boarder for 16 years at numerous stables, & now a
barn owner for 8 1/2 years I have been on both sides.  As a
boarder I have always given notice & have only been treated badly
twice after giving notice!  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I think if boarding was run the same way as when renting an apartment
alot of the bad feelings wouldn't happen....You pay your first &
last months board when you move in & that way when you want to move
out your last month is already paid for.......that way the barn owner
gets their notice so they have a month to fill the stall & you
don't have to sneak out in the middle of the night or pay for the month
that your not going to be there.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Notice is given to let the owner know she can rent the stall so not to
lose income...same as an apartment.  Boarders sometimes don't
realize that the stall might have been filled if the owner knew you
were leaving!  Having a stall sit empty is a loss of income to an
owner & knowing alot of stables are rentals, they have to bring in
a certain amount a month just to be able to survive.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Not giving notice is very common in boarders & you can imagine how
frustrating it can be for the owners who have it happen alot!  Can
you imagine your job all of a sudden just cutting your workhours &
you getting only 1/2 your normal paycheck!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
You will ove having your horses at home with you....it's such a nice
feeling to just look out a window & see them....or give them a hug
goodnight!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hang in there......ONLY 10 DAYS!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Get Spotted In A Crowd...Ride An Appaloosa!"
"I'M HOT 4 SPOTZ"
My Patty!
spotz
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Great news! Only ten days! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Judy F » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:26 pm

Actually, moving out without giving notice hits the BO twice:  no
income, but they still have to pay all the expenses: staff, hydro,
taxes, etc.  The feed may stretch a little bit further, but stalls
still need to be mucked out and open stalls still get used
intermittantly.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
My BO is very professional about it.  She uses a boarder's
contract which specifies that notice must be given on the first of the
month to leave the next month.  And she promises that care of the
horse will continue unchanged regardless.  It is very
unprofessional to take notices personally -- this is a business deal,
nothing more, nothing less.  We like to be friends with the
boarders (even those we can't stand), but the care of the horses comes
first.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thats right..unfortunately, not everyone sees it like that. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I did have a boarder give first and last once - they offered it, but then when they left with less than a month's notice they wanted a refund. I gave it to them, there's no sense in starting a fight over $100, but it did tick me off. It always amazes me how some boarders seem to think that stables are running a charity.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby cnd_cowgurl84 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#WOW.. i am so happy that i have never had any real problem at any of the barns iv boarded my horses at... some people go through Hell.. i also feel bad for the barn owners that have to put up with some reduclus people sometimes...  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cnd_cowgurl84
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And I think it should be first and last--you have to do that with rent, why not horses? I know its a lot of money to shell out, but think of it as an investment...that last month is free before you leave, and if things go south, at least you're not out that month. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm leavin my barn now,to go to the one i left from where the .issues with feed and GT's weight came up. But on the same property but a dif. barn with a co-op im very excited! Should be Dec.1st dipending on weather and stuff.Where i am nowthe kind know im leavingbut i havn't told them directly...they heard it some other way. Im one of those boarders no onelikes..i kinda just disapear. But where i am ow is a co-op and it won't hurt them in anyway.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#RR - start your countdown..........not too much longer now!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Rio Roulette » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#9 more days.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She's decided that she is no longer available to give me any lessons, although I have 6 prepaid ones as yet unused. *sigh* $240 - I'd have to take a day off work to get a lesson in. Think she'll refund me for them ? probably NOT.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Eileen » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:03 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Since these lessons have already been paid for by you  in advance, I think that you have every right to ask for a refund of balance.  Was this issue brought up when she informed you about her not being able to honor her end of the bargian...the lessons...?  #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

PreviousNext

Return to General