Leaving my barn, regret giving "notice" UPDATE

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had mayjor problems at this one place I was at!! I went there so I could be closer to my riding instructor at the time and she just lived down the road and drove over to the farm for weekly lessons. Well the owners of the farm had there house for sale BUT assured me that the two offers in on the farm were either a riding stable or a man and his daughter who are interested in purchasing horses. So in the end the man and his daughter moved onto the farm. He was from the city and didnt know anything really about horses, his daughter could ride but only like the old lesson ponies that would never put a foot wrong. It all went down hill when I started jumping my horse. I would go out, my mom would just drop me off and I would be practising jumping in the arena WELL the owner of the farm Peter didnt feel too comfortable watching me jump incase I hurt my self so instead of talking to me about it he had to kinda almost if felt like he was telling on me and talking to my dad about it lol. my dad was kinda confused but said okay..... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# Then winter came and my horse was not a lead horse he was down at the low end of the pack and I wanted to make sure he got lots of hay seeing as we have harsh winters up here. I told Peter to move the round bale feeder into the large part of the shelter below the trap door. that way you can just roll the bales right from the loft into the feeder "ooo thats a good idea" I come out the next day and he has it in the corner! so that only the lead mare is the only one able to eat "did peter not realize he had 4 other horses to feed?". Everytime my horse would try to eat he would get cornered and kicked by the lead mare :(#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#   This is the worst part!! Durning the winter time dont we all kinda like to have our horses with alittle bit of a hay belly? well my horse wasnt gaining weight and I started to notice not a lot of hay being thrown into the feeder. So my parents and I confronted Peter asking him are you low on hay do you want us to purchase some then you can just take it off our board?? his reply OHHH no im fine thanks <ya what ever> #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#    My dad and I would then go out daily to throw down hay! AND peter instead of talking to us about it he wrote a note saying you guys are throwing down the wrong hay I can handle it on my own thanks. WHAT WRONG HAY??? THERE WAS ONLY LIKE MAYBE 15BALES IN THE LOFT TO BEGIN WITH??!?!?! so we left cause he just was not tooo bright around the horses!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# there are sooo many more stories i could tell you about him!! lol he did alot of stupid things!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#   Leslie#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby Rio Roulette » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She's playing games. It's getting tiresome. She tells me suddenly she doesn't give lessons on weekend mornings or in the evenings in "winter". So that leaves me Sat & Sun afternoons which I can't do because of other committments. I've told her before that I can't make these times, so it's not exactly coincidential that she's only available at these times. I have had evening lessons before but they didn't start till 7 or 8 because I can't get home from work in time. So the 6:30 evening lesson is just more games. I even offered to get there by 6:30 if the horse is in from the 20 acre field, but she says she doesn't have time to bring a horse in for me. There's no winning for me here.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She said no to the refund because she said she said she's going out of her way to accommodate me - it's her twisted perception of the world. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've offered a compromise to her, to sell the remaining lessons to another of her students. But I expect she won't go for this one either. I'll just lose the money, because that's what she wants to happen. I'm not interested in fighting with her anymore. It's just not worth it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#8 days and counting....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Patricia » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would turn the tables and say POINT BLANK...Your to make attemtpts to make yourself available...you do not want to SO you leave me no choice but to take you to small claims court....REFUND or COURT....YOU decide.  Leave it with her to think it over.  I can tell you I know what she will decide.  She needs a gentle push....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would show up there everyday too.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Megan Ball » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#$240!!!!! Your going to let her get away with stealing that much $$$$$!!!! Holy crap!! I would DEFINATLY spend the $50 for the small claims court and take her! Thats a lot of money!! Thats food in your fridge,bill money, mortgage money!!! Don't let her steal that! It may not be a lot to you, but to others, (like me) thats a lot of money to just "throw away!" Don't let this bitter woman push you around!! Patrica is right look her straight in the face and tell her it's a refund of every penny that she's stealing or you'll haul her off to court! Be serious about it too! Go down to your local court house and get the booklets and forms for making a court case. The forms are free to take but it's $50 to actually submit them and take her to court. In Ontario at least! Trust me when you start being serious and threaten(and mean it) to go to court they back down real quick!!! They have burnt their bridges with you and they will obviously will not be friends with you in the future, so why be nice! They aren't!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i certainly would not let her get away with that load of total BS that's she's trying to feed you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i would demand back every single penny and add on some compensation as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#court or refund is right.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby PerfectAngel » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am all for the "court or refund" argument....she DEFINITELY owes you, one way or another. If she decides to take the "court" route, I'd add in all the crap about the changeing board agreement....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't get how ppl can do this? I've only boarded once, but they knew from the beginning that I would be leaving eventually, and were very nice about it the whole time. It was by no means a fancy place, but they took decent care of my horses (except when my mare foaled, but that's a different story#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/6.gif"#ed_cl#) right up until the day they left....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby spotz » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:48 am

I agree with Patricia that this lady needs a reality check & maybe
being threatened with court action will do the trick.  This owner
is showing the other boarders how she treats someone who decides to
move out by treating you badly!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I am amazed at how mean & vindictive people can be in boarding
situations..on both sides!  How many times have you been at a barn
& a boarder starts the bad rumors & innuendos to try to get
more boarders to leave, as she is the one who isn't happy & now
wants to hurt the stable's business & income by emptying the
barn.....Alot of times owners don't know this is happening as the
boarders don't go talk to the owner to tell them what's being said
& confront them.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Can you imagine if this happened in apartments?...a neighbour trying to
empty a building because she doesn't like living there & is
moving!  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I have never been mad with someone moving out....I have been sad, as
you get very attached to the horses you care for & it's like losing
one of your own when they move out, or because the owner is such a nice
& pleasant person you will miss having them around.....& I have
even been happy at times, as either the owner or horse was an utter
jerk so will not be missed, but never mad.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I also would never pull crap like changing the horses turnout or
treating the horse or owner badly...that is just stupid.  I have
also trailered my boarders out to their new barns.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Well....ONLY 8 more days for you!!!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Get Spotted In A Crowd...Ride An Appaloosa!"
"I'M HOT 4 SPOTZ"
My Patty!
spotz
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Rio Roulette » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#7 more days to go... and I'm getting worried. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#These people are psychotic. I asked for a refund politely, they said no. I asked if I could transfer the lessons to another student and I got a scathing email where they have threatened ME with legal action. As if.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But it proves to me they are incredibly unstable. I'm worried about my horses' welfare. They have never threatened the horses to date, but I'm still concerned about the degree of anger in their emails. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I won't sleep well for the next 7 days.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby TrueColours » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rio - my 2 cents worth ... for the sake of your horse, keep quiet and lay low for the next 7 days.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Then - I would pay the $40.00 or so and file a claim in small claims court to recoup the money you are owed. Write down everything that is going on so that you have a paper trail. One would assume that she isnt doing the same thing, so you will have the upper hand if/when it gets to court.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#or - you walk away from the $240.00 and rest easy that your horse is now okay. Only you yourself know what option is best for you in this case#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you want to get together for a party in 8 days when your horse is finally out of there?!   #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby Megan Ball » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rio Rio Rio!!! Take these people to court!!! Take them up on their offer to take you to court! Saves you the $50! Whatever, but it's time for legal action!! No more miss nicey nice!! It doesn't get you anywhere in this world! I can't say it enough and I won't say it anymore! Good luck.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But sometimes you need to just let it go as well. I know I've left with extra money sitting in their hands, but you just want to be done with it and gone sometimes. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Shoal » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:01 am

Even if you walk away the thought of that jerk taking your money will always burn your A$$. At least it would mine.
Would you give $240 for a perfect stranger and expect nothing in return???
I say leave quietly, and then file for small claims court. Right now they are threatening you, hoping you will run away with your tail between your legs.

Man this burns my A$$, and it's not even happening to me!! :evil:
Shoal

Postby TequillaJack » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I"m with everyone else lay low for the next few days then once the horses are on the trailer, be like look this is how its going to be give me my 240 or i'm taking you to small claims court.  If you really want to scare them pick up the form from small claims court that you have to file and wave it in her face so she knows your serious.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your really worried about the horses over the next week is there any way you can check on them more often or have someone else check on them for you during the day.  If you could get people to drop in on them randomly every few hours it would be great, leave the BO no time to do anything to them, I hope to GOD she wouldnt, and I'm sure she wont, but I understand that your concerned and that would be my best solution for your piece of mind.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes good ideas truecolours! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby Rio Roulette » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The barn warming party is Nov 26 1:00 - 4:00 - champagne and muichies. Bring your own glass. TrueColours, and anybody else, if you find yourself in the area "come on down!!!"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Laying low is what I'm trying to do - stay below the radar. I have an "ace" in my back pocket - still working on it - will let you know if it comes to fruition. ;)  Payback is a b****#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#5 1/2 days, 5 1/2 days, 5 1/2 days.... barn shingles are on, framing for the walls and windows are in. Electric is finished tomororw. The race against time is on......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby TrueColours » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The barn warming party is Nov 26 1:00 - 4:00 - champagne and muichies. Bring your own glass. TrueColours, and anybody else, if you find yourself in the area "come on down!!!"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oooo ... sounds like a plan to me! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now - you've GOTTA elaborate a little more as to where *in the area* exactly is?!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd feel a tad foolish wandering around the countryside with an empty glass in hand asking if anyone knows where the party and the free champagne is ... #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby babytigger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:27 pm

TrueColours wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd feel a tad foolish wandering around the countryside with an empty glass in hand asking if anyone knows where the party and the free champagne is ... #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LMAO TC!!!!!!!!! i'm sure you'd come across a few parties that way....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#RR - good luck.......and now i'm curious - you'll have to let us know just what this "ace in your pocket" is #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/14.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah....Do tell!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby cadence » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As a barn owner, I get annoyed if a horse is moved out without notice but I know this usually stems from fear resulting from a bad experience with poor, dispicable stable management once notice was given.  It's terrible.  I personally have never slacked off on the care of any horse in my barn and I won't allow any staff to either.  What goes around, comes around and I want to be known for giving exceptional care to the very end and I absolutely insist that staff speak to clients with respect and I insist on the same level of respect from the client.  I don't tolerate swearing from the staff and I don't tolerate a client swearing at me.  I had one fellow take his beautiful Friesian stallion away at 5 a.m.... he was so afraid to give me notice that he didn't even take some of his tack.  A couple weeks later, I called him and said he still had tack here.  When he came to get it, he apologized for not giving any notice, stating he had learned later from other people that he needn't have worried about a situation developing because of needing to move his horse, and I confirmed to him this fact and explained to him that I am well aware that the nature of this industry is the horse owner has the right to do what he or she thinks is best for themselves and their horse(s).  I wished him well, a handshake, and good luck in the future.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I told one client to leave because she kept saying "f-ing this and f-ing that" and I got tired of the poor image it represented of my barn, plus she could be very ill-mannered to people.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#now...as a former barn worker....it never ever occured to me to treat the horse that was leaving like crap & be a jerk to the owner............i just can't understand that sort of thing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General