Faux Finish was SUCH a good girl at the Royal today!l

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby Patricia » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well as yours doesn't have a documented pedigree she would have to go for CSHA inspection for papers and approval.  They often look at TB types and when they show on the line they seem to look for hunter types.  They even have some WB's in the registry now.  At the inspection they look at conformation, height, and trot them out in the triangle and she if they are decent correct movers.  Once approved if you breed to a CSH stallion you offspring can be registered.  It takes a bit of work to take a weanling to the Royal.  Daily handling and learning to trot in hand.  Then getting them braided...some don't stand well for that.  My girlfriend a few years back took one of her weanlings and she didn't expect anything just went for experience.  Her husband who is NOT a horse person even acted as the handler.  The little darlin even hoofed him in the trot on the long side but the judge didn't see that....LOL!  To our surprise she placed 1st!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And sorry SP the last thing I look for in breeding a horse is vying for a 'special colour'.  You don't ride a colour...I look for temperament, or size if trying to improve the mare in that area.  You chose a stallion to improve on the short coming of your mare.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby TrueColours » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
My first ever experience with showing on the line was in the Open Stallion class at the Royal. Nothing like starting in one of the most intimidating shows in one of the more intimidating classes!#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hahaha - you got THAT right! #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Showing debuts at the Royal for all concerned = MAJOR panic! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And sorry SP the last thing I look for in breeding a horse is vying for a 'special colour'.  You don't ride a colour...I look for temperament, or size if trying to improve the mare in that area.  You chose a stallion to improve on the short coming of your mare.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
 #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Couldnt agree more ... BUT ... if you can breed to a stallion that DOES improve the shortcomings of the mare, and add height, and solidify the fabulous movement the mare already has and adds an incredibly sane and quiet temperment and great conformation (as those who saw at the Royal with Faux Finish can attest to) why NOT get the special colour to go along with it?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know that buckskin's and palomino's aren't everyone's cup of tea and thats just fine! #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But with the incredible colour variations in both the buckskin and palomino coats (same as with bays and chestnuts) a lot of the buckskins can have a golden sheen to a light bay coat and just look *different* from all of the other bays out there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess at the end of the day I will continue to breed for dilute colours as that is what the market seems to want - with everything else in the *package* as well - movement, conformation, temperment and size - and if others follow suit - great - and if not - all the best in your breeding programs! #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Oh, I know that Patricia. I am thinking along the same lines as TC...I wouldn't ever breed to a stallion just *because* of color...but I would be selective OF the color and the chances of the color foal i'd have. Hehe I know, i know... it's so long away but hey i can dream right #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley14.gif"#ed_cl# I think i'll start a thread for the "stud game" :D#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I haven't sat down and examined Harvey and GG intently, but if Soda wants to breed her I think TB would be a much, much better cross than Arab, also I have seen GG's old video from Trinity, and personally, I think he is quite a nice TB stallion, regardless of color. I bred to Art Deco this year, but what really sold me on him were Fieldstone Farms two solid bay Art Deco babies, especially the yearling, who I fell in love with in their driveway last summer and had no idea she was an Art Deco until half an hour later. I look at the color as a bonus if it happens, if it doesn't I don't care, I would like Art Deco in any color! He didn't compete Grand Prix because he's pinto.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Soda, if you go to the CSH website they give a rundown of what they are looking for. What I like to do with a smaller mare, or an off breed like the ASB we presented a few years ago, is to wait until you have a nice foal on the ground, because they do take the quality of the foal into consideration. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Maddie » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sodapoppers, you may find it helpful and interesting to check out the stallions on the CSHA site.  Many of them have their inspection scores for conformation, movement, and type on their page.  I know GG does as well as many other stallions.  Some don't due to changes in the approval process years ago or because they were allowed in based on their approvals with other registries or their incredible preformance records.  Keep in mind that a minimum score of 70% overall is required for Stallion approval.  While I don't think inspection marks are the be all and end all they give you good insight into the stallions attributes from the perspective of inpartial well trained inspectors.  Good luck if and when you decide to breed your mare, it's a wonderful journey.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Maddie
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Hev339 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:54 pm

I'm late...
but congrats, your filly is beautiful!
This was the first summer I wasn't involved in CSH stuff! Weird not being involved.
Anyway, awesome job!
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#what a looker she is gorgeous congrats on your showing!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby TrueColours » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks again!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#(and thanks also for the nice words on GG Ruth ... #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl# )#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am now even  #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#MORE#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#  over the moon, as we have just lined up the top handler at Devon for her (yippee!!! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley32.gif"#ed_cl# Doing the #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#HUGE#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# Happy Dance right now!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We will also probably show her at Upperville and some smaller shows beforehand so he can "meet" her and we see how they get along. She'll ship in 2 weeks before Devon, and go to 2 smaller shows leading up to Devon and then I'll get to see her again when I get to Devon to watch her show ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am going to miss her like CRAZY for those 2 weeks, but she is going to be with a top notch outfit and will be pampered and prepped beyond belief for those 2 weeks!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its funny - it is not predicated on the size of your wallet or whether or not you want a certain person to handle them for you. #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#YOU#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# send pictures of them, and then they tell #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#YOU#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# if they will agree to handle them, so yippee!!! - we passed! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now she just needs to do her bit and be a super good girl in the ring again and #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#REALLY#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# strut her stuff against the American competition! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now - I am counting down the days to May ... #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

TrueColours

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congrats TC.....it will be interesting to see how she does down at Devon. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Arcadia » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congrats TC, I was so happy to see your lil darling win!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Arcadia
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#good luck with her at future shows!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Patricia » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My comment about colour wasn't meant to be taken in a derogatory  fashion towards your horse.  I am sure you horse is fabulous no matter what colour she is....LOL!  She does look very striking and well put together.  I am SURE very well bred!  I wish you best of luck at DEVON.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is just that some people like SP are ONLY caught up on colour...she also states she WANTS a BLACK horse too primarily Arabian.  I don't chose by colour first.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby TrueColours » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the clarification Patricia! And I agree wholeheartedly ... reminds me of the ad that was in The Paint Horse Journal many years ago where someone was looking for a very specifica black and white overo. They were VERY definate on the colour pattern, VERY definate on the mix of black versus white, specified the height they wanted, the type of markings on the face and legs, AND (drumroll please ... #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl#...) they had a top budget of USD $500,000.00 they were willing to spend for the PERFECT specimen!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nowhere did it specify anything about conformation or movement, etc - hopefully they DIDNT just end up buying on colour and pattern alone!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There are some pretty horrific looking black and white overo Paint stallions standing out there, simply because they have some spectacular colour going on ... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

TrueColours

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Very nice horse TC!!#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I dont think there is anything wrong with having a rpeference of color for your foal. There are tons and tons of stallions out there of all colors and breeds, so you would be bound to find something that is conformationally correct for your horse and the color you want. There are actually specific blends that you have to go by because there are only a couple of true basic horse colors. Everything else are mixes bettween colors to produce a different color. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Of course there are strong color genes too. And the color you may or may not get will be determined by previous generations on both sides. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Example, you have a grey stallion, you breed to a black or dark bay you will get a steel grey horse or horse with dark points and darker dapples. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Point said, I think GG would be a pretty good bet for Harvy. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby TrueColours » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
Point said, I think GG would be a pretty good bet for Harvy#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GG thinks so too! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The more the merrier ... #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

TrueColours

Postby Sodapoppers » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:49 pm

Patricia wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is just that some people like SP are ONLY caught up on colour...she also states she WANTS a BLACK horse too primarily Arabian.  I don't chose by colour first.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Like Xena said there are enough studs in the world that I can find a horse for the color I want *and* to improve her conformation. If all I cared about was color, I wouldn't even be looking at any other stallions *but* homozygous blacks. Just because I would like a certain color does not make me a silly bubble head who is caught up on coat patterns and colors and not caring about conformation.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Positively4thStreet » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:34 am

Patricia wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is just that some people like SP are ONLY caught up on colour...she also states she WANTS a BLACK horse too primarily Arabian.  I don't chose by colour first.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Patricia;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP stated MANY times that she was NOT looking for *just* color, she was looking for a nice stallion to compliment her mare, and GG happened to be able to throw a nicely colored foal. I agree with her, there ARE enough stallions in the world that she is able to chose a stallion that *both* compliments her mare and throws good color, as difficult for you to understand as that may be. She never, not once said she ONLY wants this or ONLY wants that-- you took a very harsh, derrogatory tone with her when it was completely unneccessary and out-of-context. And yes, I realize I'm taking a derrogatory and harsh route with this, no need to point that out. Just returning the favor.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby bay mare » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Shes beautiful D, and congrats on the win!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
bay mare
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kaleena » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've always always been a fan of your horses since I sumbled apon your website a few years ago when looking for TB studs for a friend.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Faux Finish is absolutely goregous! I wish I could have seen her in person at the Royal but alas we ran out of time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do plan on being able to breed my filly (but not for a long awhile yet). Shes a TB/Welsh Cob and pictured in my avatar. I will look for a TB or TB cross for her when (and if) the time comes. I will also keep colour in mind because I love her colouring, and would LOVE a buckskin but temperment, comformation, and movement will come first on my list.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kaleena, what colour of stud would you breed Cirrus to, to get a buckskin??  Just curious...I find all this "colour genetics" stuff really interesting (confusing, but interesting LOL).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I won't ever be breeding Tequila.  Due to a birth defect, she won't ever be able to give birth...but IF I *could* breed her, since she's a Paint, what colour of stud would I have to breed her to, if say, I wanted a grey??  A chestnut?  A bay?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For reference, she's a brown (grulla, technically) and white Paint.  Her mom is a grulla QH and her dad is a black and white Paint.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Let the fun begin!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

PreviousNext

Return to General