Okay - what is the answer to this one?!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Okay - what is the answer to this one?!

Postby TrueColours » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=postbody#ed_cl#Isnt THIS one a conundrum ... #ed_op#IMG alt="Rolling Eyes" src="http://www.ultimatedressage.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif" border=0#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Stallion "A" has frozen semen available. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#He is then gelded. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#He then participates in a Stallion Showcase held recently. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Is he refered to as a Breeding Stallion or a gelding??? #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#A VERY confused mind REALLY wants to know the answer to this one ... #ed_op#IMG alt=Wink src="http://www.ultimatedressage.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby lifeafterracing » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I suppose, technically, he is a breeding stallion because with the frozen semen he can sire offspring.  No wait, he can't be a stallion.   He's been gelded.  Breeding gelding certainly doesn't sound right either.  So, I guess he is a former breeding stallion with the potential (frozen semen) to sire more offspring.  Obviously the show organizers count him as a breeding stallion since he was allowed in the stallion showcase.  You're right though, it is a conundrum.  He could be called a gelded breeding stallion, I guess.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't think you can count him as a stallion..but then again...thats a tough one! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Azalee » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wouldn't argue him participating in a Stallion Showcase if the purpose is to show him off for potential broodmare clients.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd agree with Lifeafterracing...Former stallion with frozen semen still available.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby Littlegreymare » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Waiting on more info...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Littlegreymare on Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had not heard that Popeye had been gelded???? I thought they were offering frozen only because of his show shedule. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Unfortunately they did geld Heinzelmann (Storyteller).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Littlegreymare » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#...#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Littlegreymare on Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby TrueColours » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Littlegreymare - you are completely right! I TOTALLY forgot about Popeye K! And I am sure there are dozens of others out there as well ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am not "poo disturbing" at all! #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl# I saw something about this on another forum and for the life of me couldnt figure out how to ethically and effectively advertise the stallion/gelding and the semen without causing any confusion or misinformation to go floating around out there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just one of those technologically interesting dilema's that I guess we get faced with more and more nowadays as technology advances ... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby babytigger » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#sound simple to me.........advertise him "as is".......LOL!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:06 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's a shame about Popeye K being gelded! I have always loved that horse, and look how well his babies are doing on the line.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had heard that he had been gelded after being sold, but that this was allegedly a rumor and not true, that he had not been gelded after all.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK, as of January 27, 2005 Popeye K was still a stallion. I just did a search on him and found an article about his successes in Florida over this past winter, and the article specifically referred to him as a stallion, and went on to remark that it is unusual for stallions to do so well in hunters. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So it looks like that his being gelded most likely is a rumor, unless it's been done fairly recently.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I found one later in the season still saying he was a stallion, because I too, had heard the rumours. I didn't think that they had any plans on gelding. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, GS, my understanding was that the initial rumors were false and that he still had his wheels on. I hadn't really kept up, because as much as I love him as a stallion they were only offering frozen and if I was going to go frozen I would breed to Flemmingh before Popeye!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Littlegreymare » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Wow. I really am illiterate and/or need glasses.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I will however, get it "from the horses mouth" and re-post with info either way :) probably the best thing to do.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Littlegreymare on Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2#ed_cl#Upper Marlboro, MD – October 5, 2005 - Popeye K, a 17.1-hand #ed_op#FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff40"#ed_cl#stallion#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# ridden by Tommy Serio, swept the Regular Working Hunter division at the Capital Challenge Horse Show in Upper Marlboro, MD. The impressive bay collected 60 points for the showing and also finished up as the Grand Hunter Champion while Serio earned the leading hunter rider award. “It all came together today,” said Serio. “He’s been consistent all year.” The eight-year-old bay is owned by Elizabeth Spencer of Keswick, VA.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2#ed_cl#The top Future Hunters had the opportunity to show off in the championship class this afternoon. #ed_op#FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff40"#ed_cl#Topping the field of young hunters was Sports Fan #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#ridden by Scott Stewart. The seven-year-old was imported from Bavaria a year ago and was just gelded this past May. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff40"#ed_cl#Stewart said of Sports Fan,#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# “He’s really quiet and laid back…he’s just really laid back and takes everything in stride, #ed_op#FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff40"#ed_cl#even before he was gelded#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#.” He went on to comment about the Future Hunter Division at the Capital Challenge saying, “I think it’s great that they offer this show case of young horses…especially for the owners. We don’t have anything else like that (on the circuit).”#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl#Read that carefully...they go on to talk about Sports Fan, who is a gelding. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl#That is a typo in that article. They refer to him as a stallion more than once (the third article you posted) and it was in 2003, when I KNOW he was a stallion. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl#Not trying to stir anything up, but as far as I know, he's still a stallion. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

re

Postby lola s » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#I'm not sure what the issue is here.  Even if a horse is gelded and still has frozen semen available, the mare owners would probably still like to see him in person and check him out.  Its still his bloodline and confirmation/temperment that you are shopping. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to General