Saddles for the High & Narrow Withered

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Saddles for the High & Narrow Withered

Postby Azalee » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm on the hunt for a saddle that fits my girl well.  I'm having a heckuva time, since her withers are so high and narrow.  Here's a photo of her in turnout so you can see:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P align=center#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG style="WIDTH: 265px; HEIGHT: 205px" height=240 src="http://www.seahorselagoon.com/stego.jpg" width=265#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P align=left#ed_cl#Anyone know of any makes/models that would fit a high withered stego--er, TB?  (Okay, I'm being serious here but I really do feel like I'm buying a saddle for a stegosaurus!)  I've tried Courbette, Avanti, Crosby, Santa Cruz, etc...I may have a lead on a Passier.  In the meantime, I've been riding bareback and as you can see from the pic, even with a big fluffy Western pad, it ain't too fun, LOL#ed_op#/P#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby cnd_cowgurl84 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What about the bates???? its a really nice saddle and it have the interchangle gullet system which works wonders... i have the wintec which is a cheeper verson and i love it.. im savign for the bates.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cnd_cowgurl84
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Azalee » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:21 am

cnd_cowgurl84 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What about the bates???? its a really nice saddle and it have the interchangle gullet system which works wonders... i have the wintec which is a cheeper verson and i love it.. im savign for the bates.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Bates would probably work although I'm a on a bit of a budget.  I wonder how easy they are to find used.  What do you think the pros and cons are of the Wintec version?  Thanks!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby cnd_cowgurl84 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i would recoment the wintec to anyone...  i love it... But when you ride in it, it makes funny squeeky noises... but its not as bad as it was when i first got it.. so if you could find a used one.. you might be alright..... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i would recoment using real leathers not the wintec ones.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i hope that helps a bit if you have any other questions feel free to e-mail or PM me.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cnd_cowgurl84
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My horse is the same as yours---we tried a bunch, but we have a Dominus, which can be bought used for a decent price, and are of decent quality, and it fits him very well. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Patricia » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The most important thing is the fit.  I was riding in a saddle TOO big for our narrow/high withered TB.  He is aging.  So I had a saddler come out.  He tried a few but they were too big and made a few recommendations.  I rode in a Stubben and stuck with the make and just went 2 cm's smaller.  Found a decent used one at Bahr's.  Passiers are good for high withered TB's.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby PerfectAngel » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#what kind of saddle are you looking for? I have the Wintec CC (for sale...hint hint) and I really like it. I just seem to have accumulated 4 saddles....I really don't need 4 saddles....I also have the Wintec Isabell and really like that one too, but it's also on the "sale" list because I have given up on dressage....my pony has decided that she's a western games/jumper/racin' pony....:P#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have shown with the CC and no one noticed that it was Wintec, so that's not a problem. I also have not noticed a squeaking problem with it...although some ppl seem to find that they make noise....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I love it because I don't have the luxury of an indoor so I can still ride in any weather...:) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Azalee » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:27 pm

PerfectAngel wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#what kind of saddle are you looking for? I have the Wintec CC (for sale...hint hint) and I really like it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm looking for a CC or an AP with jumping preference.  The saddle I've retired is a Thorowgood Maxam AP (will be for sale soon.)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the recommendations everyone!  I'm really hoping I get a stab at the Passier.  I haven't come across a Dominus yet but maybe in my adventures I will find one.  I'm going to get to try an older English made saddle this weekend, and I also have a Jeffries Falcon High Withered model that I took out on loan from Bakers today.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#which dominus do you have Gracie? I have a Dominus dressage saddle. Like you, I had a hard time finding a saddle for my horse, and this one fit like glove. I actually really like it alot, it is very balanced and comfortable. The leather quality is pretty decent too. Ive had it for 2 years almost and it looks great still. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your looking at leather saddles, stubben, or kieffer or even dominus I find are geared to more narrow horses. If you are on a budget and want something that you can have for a long time, maybe a wintec will do you good. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

high withers

Postby Gypsy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:18 pm

Passiers are great.  Get an all purpose cut back and have the
saddler come out and they can adjust the tree and whatever else it
needs.  I had this done for my horse and his saddle fits
perfectly.  My passier is 18 years old and still looks like the
day  I bought it  (used) they are worth the money and even
when they are older can be stuffed and used for many more years. 
I have ridden in all kinds and still my passier will always be my fave.
Gypsy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby TequillaJack » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Bentley I've had 4 different horses and it fits them all including a hard to fit TB.  The mare was so hard to fit I was about to give up till I found this.  I've turned many people onto it because it just seems to fit all.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It went from the hard to fit TB she was 15hh, to a 16.2 TB, to a 16hh warmblood, to a 15.2hh TB#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Re: high withers

Postby Azalee » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:03 am

Gypsy wrote: Get an all purpose cut back and have the#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#saddler come out and they can adjust the tree and whatever else it#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#needs.  I had this done for my horse and his saddle fits#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#perfectly.  My passier is 18 years old and still looks like the#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#day  I bought it  (used) they are worth the money and even#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#when they are older can be stuffed and used for many more years. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, the saddler told me the Passiers are my best bet for the reason that the tree is made of bamboo and therefore adjustable.  The problem is finding them used because, like you, once people have bought them, they love them so much they keep 'em! lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks again folks!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby chenders01 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Azalee, I have no suggestions on what type of saddle to get...other than something cut-back...but I just wanted to say that I laughed out loud when your pic of your horse/Stegosaurus loaded.  LOL!!  I love your sense of humour (it's just like mine) #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/16.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As far as where to find a Passier, try Ebay.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Azalee » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:59 pm

chenders01 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Azalee, I have no suggestions on what type of saddle to get...other than something cut-back...but I just wanted to say that I laughed out loud when your pic of your horse/Stegosaurus loaded.  LOL!!  I love your sense of humour (it's just like mine) #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/16.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As far as where to find a Passier, try Ebay.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hee hee.  I figure with all the troubles and heartbreak we go through with horses sometimes, it's best to keep a sense of humour!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena--not sure, its just the close contact saddle. It was a great buy because it fits me really well too. I find them good quality, and it fits my horse very well. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Foxie » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a Stubben Edelweiss on my high withered TB. It fits me and most importantly it fits him great. Excellent clearance over the withers. I don't need to use any extra padding or half pads. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Azalee » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was recommended an Eidelweiss (new) but unfortunately it's out of my price range.  Lovely looking saddle though.  Comfy too!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also now have a line on a Coventry saddle.  I haven't seen it yet; has anyone experience with these?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thankfully, a fellow boarder has loaned me her saddle that fits my horse.  This has given me some relief from perma-wedgie induced by bareback riding lol.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thats a shame, If you bought a stubben you would never need another saddle. Mine is like 40 years old and still kicking, I bought it from this old german man who had had it forever. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What is your price range? Have you tried looking on ebay or anything? If you really wanted to look at stubbens you can try #ed_op#A href="http://www.saddles-online.de"#ed_cl#www.saddles-online.de#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# They are a stubben reseller wwarehouse, the saddles are all demo/floor models and are pretty reasonable. Very nice people too, they told me I could mail them xenas back in paper (you doing a thing with a hanger and make your horses backs shape for saddle fitting). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Or if you tried a couple stubbens here and got her size you can buy it that way too... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL you have just been BAREBACK riding!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe you have been doing that... lol... I tried bareback riding on xena one time and she is really bony too, I had some chaffing in some unmentionable places after that one. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Azalee » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:24 am

xena_n_joss wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thats a shame, If you bought a stubben you would never need another saddle. Mine is like 40 years old and still kicking, I bought it from this old german man who had had it forever. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I got hold of a used Stubben...I'd go for it.  I think they're great!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss wrote:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What is your price range? Have you tried looking on ebay or anything? If you really wanted to look at stubbens you can try #ed_op#A href="http://www.saddles-online.de"#ed_cl#www.saddles-online.de#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# They are a stubben reseller wwarehouse, the saddles are all demo/floor models and are pretty reasonable. Very nice people too, they told me I could mail them xenas back in paper (you doing a thing with a hanger and make your horses backs shape for saddle fitting). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was aiming for $1200 or less (actually since I'm up the creek, this will go up...)...hoping to find a decent used saddle.  I have tried eBay but I don't really want to buy a saddle without trying it and having it fitted first.  Maybe if I found what kind of saddle that fits my mare well, I could look for one on eBay.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had a template of her withers that I've been carting around.  I think I left it at Baker's.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/6.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll have to check that site out, thanks!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss wrote:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL you have just been BAREBACK riding!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe you have been doing that... lol... I tried bareback riding on xena one time and she is really bony too, I had some chaffing in some unmentionable places after that one.
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Yup!  And not just ring riding either...hacking too, in a hilly area.  The saddler suggested walking hacks bareback to build up my mare's trapezias (sp?) muscles and improve saddle fit.  Here's a #ed_op#A href="http://community.webshots.com/photo/448698834/448698834yCOrZq"#ed_cl#photo of the mare#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# so everyone can feel sorry for me! Wedgies fore and aft.  Ha ha.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#editted for spelling...oopsie.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#actually the trapezis is more on your horses neck.. It does mesh over the wither a bit... But that is where you would want to build muscle... I would do a ton of dressage work and build up her back muscles as well as the shoulders ect.... From the look of your horse she is not the underdeveloped in the muscle department though, I doubt you will actually be able to build enough muscle to creat that much of a difference. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You may want to look at something with a cut back.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Why dont you keep saving a bit? Its winter anyways now. Thats what I did, I knew I wanted to be able to chose my saddle without worrying about cost so I could find the best fitting saddle. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Next

Return to General