Choosing a stallion...

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Choosing a stallion...

Postby Serenity » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know this isn't for a few years down the road but I am excited and this could be fun, lol. I am imagining what type of Stallion I would like to breed the filly to....anyone want to help? The filly is a Clyde/Hackney, should finish around 16.3hh and when she is bred I would want a Sport type horse...I was thinking a Paint stallion...to get a clyde/hackney/paint foal..big, warmblood type with colour....what type of stallion do u think would make an interesting foal and if you know of any let me know.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~* Serenity Love *~
Serenity
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Patricia » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In chosing a stallion colour is the least important thing.  You have to decide her short comings and select a stallion that will improve the mare in those area.  So you say a sport horse type....it depends on how big boned the mare is or will get and decide if you need to lightened her bone by breeding say to a nice TB stallion or breed to a nice Warmblood like a Hanoverian.  I have bred to Geronimo in the past.  Twice actually and both time the resulting foal was stunning with a lovely temperament, good bone, nice movement with a good mind.  Although, he is 17.2H and you have to decide if you need more size or not.  My first mare was a Reg CSHA 16.2H TB type but big boned.  The second was a Trakehner cross with good bone, very solidly built but about 16H.  My yearling is around 15.2H and should finish easily 16.2H or better.  This one is slow growing....YAY!  The last one at 9 mos was 15H...EEK!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Keep in mind you do not have to shop local as you can breed AI and have it shipped.  Geronimo came by courier last time....LOL!  The first time he flew in from Manitoba and I picked him up at the TO airport.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Serenity » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For me, I like a fairly large boned horse, that's why I go with the drafts crosses, to get large boned and height, as well as the draft "gentle giant" temperment. That way I can still jump, as opposed to having a full draft and trying to compete or event...yes I know it has been done but not often, and I wouldn't do it. Also, I LOVE height.....I want something well over 16hh....even 17hh. I know colour doesn't matter, but as I said I am just having fun and a big boned, tall, pinto foal would be beautiful. Who is Geronimo..? I know I have heard of him, but can't recall exactly who he is. Sounds though as if he would be a good choice.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~* Serenity Love *~
Serenity
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Serenity » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just saw Geronimo's page. He is quite a stunning stud, if he bred to the filly then the outcome would possibly be a large boned, tall, bay/black foal who would be a Hanoverian/Clyde/Hackney cross....good looks, good bloodline and height from the sire, level headed and big boned from the dam and good movement from both sire and dam. The foal would then probably mature to 16.2-17hh. Lol....not sure if this is correct, it would be nice though...........Any other stallion possibilities, I love doing this, figuring out the foal outcome with each stud, then to choose the best one!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here is Geronimo.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://www.mts.net/~chris60/horses/Geronimo1.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://www.mts.net/~chris60/horses/Geronimo2.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~* Serenity Love *~
Serenity
Groupie
Groupie

Postby zooka » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I say you will probably change your mind about who you want to breed to a million times before you are actually ready to breed.  Although I do know it is fun to dream about it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Maddie » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your looking for a stud with color you may want to check out #ed_op#A href="http://www.coloredhorses.com"#ed_cl#www.coloredhorses.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#   There are some homozygous sporthorse and Warmblood stallions there with contact info, websites, etc.  Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Maddie
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would not want to breed a Clyde/Hackney X to a Paint to get a sporthorse type, and color should not be a big factor when looking at stallions. If you really want the pinto coloring then Sempatico at Silverwood Farm is your best bet, I believe he is the only homozygous approved WB stallion in North America, he is a nice stallion and you will get your color there - his stud fee comes with a live colored foal guarantee. I bred to Art Deco this year, and found Liz Hall at Silverwood very, very easy to deal with, they collect their stallions on site, so they can collect every day, semen arrived overnight, no problems at all.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Serenity » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Zooka, yes I will change my mind, it is fun and exciting though, thinking of all the possibilities. Thanks for the site Maddie, I will take a look at that right now...also, thank-you Ruth, I will check him out and I knoe colour is not the most important thing, but as I have already stated, I am mostly just curious right now, not serious.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~* Serenity Love *~
Serenity
Groupie
Groupie

Postby spotz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:48 am

I tend to agree with Patricia on this.....#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I look at my horses conformation very closely & I write a list of her qualities & shortcomings.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Example. long well set neck, good shoulder, long back. upright
pasterns, thin cannons, small feet, etc.... I also list her movement
etc...#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Then I look for a stallion that does not have the same shortcomings as my mare. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Example, shorter back, more bone, bigger feet, sloping pastern, etc....#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I want a stallion that will improve the foal & bring out the best qualities of each parent.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The only thing I stay far away from is a short neck & bump head...LOL!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Get Spotted In A Crowd...Ride An Appaloosa!"
"I'M HOT 4 SPOTZ"
My Patty!
spotz
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby TrueColours » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Years ago when I had Spot Pocket (coloured TB stallion) we bred him to several Clyde Hackney cross mares and the foals were just outstanding.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They got the refinement from Spotty and a prettier head and nicer balanced conformation and man - those suckers could jump the moon as well!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Guaranteed Gold has been bred to some draft and draft cross mares as well before I started standing him and Ive only seen weanling pictures of that result but again - they have been really really special!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It will all depend on whether you want to refine what you already have, in which case you need to consider using a TB stallion for her, or if you like the size and the bulk you already have and want to solidify that even more. In that case you'd need to start looking at some nice WB stallions.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dont mish mash her foal too much though by going with a straight Paint stallion who will generally NOT add height or refinement or step to the mix, but only the colour (if he's HZ). Plus - to get a colour guarantee, you need to go with HZ tobiano's as the sabino and overo color patterns are never guaranteed. Clydes are never in tobiano - only sabino - so unless you possibly want a tovero foal (think of all white with maybe a few colour patches and/or dark coloured ears!) you will need to stay away from any tobiano's#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Confused yet?!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley29.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes - you WILL change your mind a million times between now and when you finally breed her! Thats all part of the fun of breeding and selecting a stallion!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have fun!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Geez, can you imagine if we picked our husbands this way?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#"Oh well I have a long back, so he looks good, but I want to add some height. He's got a good back end, and he's a black haired man, and I wanted a blonde..what are the percentages and genetic backgrounds? Aren't there agouti genes in there somewhere? " ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LMAO GS - maybe we ought to choose our hubbies that way............eliminates some of the problems!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#serenity - good luck in your research - there are a ton of stallions out there, it really all depends on what you want (or hope) in the resulting foal.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Return to General