tips

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

tips

Postby naughty by nature » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I posted this on another website but i just wanted to know if anyone had tips on how to get a horse over their fear of water.  My horse will walk through water when i am on the ground with him.  but when i ride he will only go through if another horse goes through first.  Or if the puddle is really big and he can't go around it he will either walk through or jump over it.  I'm just worried b/c one of the shows i'm going to this summer coming up has a waterjump where you jump down into the water and I know right now my horse will have no part in that lol.  Oh also he walks through a puddle atleast twice a day going in and out of his paddock,  so don't knwo what else to do to get him over this fear.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
naughty by nature

Postby TrueColours » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh yes ... had a few of those to deal with ... #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley13.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As far as I am concerned, the philosophy that must be followed with ANY obstacle in the way (water included!) is "over, under or through" and I dont much care HOW they get to the other side, but they WILL get to the other side when I ask them to.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One mare I had recently I think would rather have died than go through this big puddle in the sand ring. It took about 10-15 minutes to get her through it in one direction and about 2-3 minutes in the other direction but then she happily splashed through dozens of times after that and water was never an issue for her after that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We also made it a point to set up the jumps in the middle of the puddle, before the puddle, after the puddle, so she HAD to go THROUGH the puddle when she was asked to jump as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Initially, she was rearing and spinning, running backwards, or plain standing there refusing to move.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You need to get into a defensive riding position - sit back, put your legs more forward and spread your arms apart and form a wider "chute" with them. You can feel what they are feeling underneath you. If they are being pigheaded about it, you need to push the point and drive them forward. If they are shaking and genuinely afraid, if they give you one tentative step towards the puddle, scritch their neck and make a fuss over them and tell them what brave horses they are. Then once they stop shaking, ask for one more step and allow them to stand until they relax.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#NEVER allow them to turn away from it. They must ALWAYS face forwards towards the puddle or whatever obstacle they are taking exception to. Once you allow them to turn away from it, they are gaining the upperhand in the battle.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Always seek out puddles to ride through and make them go through the centre of it - not skirting off to the right or the left side, but smack through the middle and keep doing it until they relax and go exactly where you are pointing them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby zooka » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmm I guess just keep repeating it until your horse is comfy.  If at first they will only do it with a horse in front then do that and then when it is better distance how far in front the other horse is, until you do not need the other horse there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Azalee » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You could try leading him over a tarp...or a cheapy tablecloth you can get at the dollar store.  Bonus is you can practice that inside and take your time.  Just spread it out and hold it down with ground poles.  Then you can "graduate" to having the tarp under a small jump, again held down by ground poles. Hopefully this will also help him trust you about such things as real puddles. Just a thought!  Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby naughty by nature » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks for the advice.  I thought of the tarp thing but he doesn't care we had a tarp in his paddock all summer over the sawdust and he slept on it and balled it up around him.  He's a weird horse.  Yesterday my friend and I went on a hack.  we passed by at least 7 atvs as well as a bunch of ppl on bikes and walking dogs he was good as gold but you think i could get him to walk in a puddle no way!! He walks aroung everything or jumps over them lol.  This is kinda ot but on the way home there was a fallen tree across the tracks we were on and i went around it as there was like a 2 foot gap between that and a water filled ditch,  my horse was great, even when i got my leg stuck on a branch and it swung back and hit him in the butt.  My friend who is riding my moms 30 something newfy pony runs right through the tree she gets hung up and ends up off the horse in the ditch covered in mud.  thank god the pony just stood there looking at her and my horse was great didn't even flinch.  I was proud of him lol.  my friend was fine in the end a little mad at being soaked but had to laugh as it was the funniest fall we have ever seen. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
naughty by nature

Postby Yellowtoytruck » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My horse sounds like yours!!!  She loves everything....bikes, ATV's, tarps, piles of garbage, stools, plastic bags...you name it she is fearless...but puddles and streams?  NO WAY.  She will go with me if I walk her through and two times this summer she followed another horse through....but it was a real struggle.  I think I have to specifically work with her and water.....she also hates rain and baths!!!  What a princess...she is like "oh no, I'll melt!"  hahahaha#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Yellowtoytruck
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Champ » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/1.gif"#ed_cl# hehehe I remember when Champ wouldnt go through puddles.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//horsehead2.gif"#ed_cl# I just simply MADE HIM. He would also walk through with me like your horse but one day I got fed up and made him stand infront of the puddle until he decided it was ok to go through it. after a little pushing he now goes through them fine. After all I want him to be an eventer and they have huge ditches in cross country so he needs to know... :P#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#Good Luck With That One #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//ec-thumbup.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Champ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It depends on his reaction to the puddle- is he genuinely afraid it's going to swallow him whole, or is he just being stubborn?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If he's just being stubborn, then I would just MAKE him. As said- just stand infront of it if you have to and drive him on.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But, if he is afraid, then work with him as close as you can to the puddle that he will go. Get him comfortable at that point, and then push him a little further. Repeat here. If that means for a little while you have to follow another horse through puddle upon puddle, or lead him through puddle upon puddle, then do that. And then push him to do it with you on his back. Start with shallow puddles where he can clearly see the ground, then step those up too. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:31 am

Puddles are scary for horses. They cannot see their depth at all, so
they don't really know if it's a few inches or a few feet deep. They
have to be really confident in you in order to trust you that it isn't
deep. Horses are prey animals so they are afraid of getting caught in
holes, plus they know their legs are vulnerable and prone to injury.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
If I'm leading a horse I always walk through the puddle to show that
it's not deep and is ok....most follow my lead. Maybe go through a
really wide puddle that the horse can't step around.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
On the ground you can also try to longe your horse through it. First
get your horse so that he will longe through tight spaces and over
poles. Then ask him to longe in a puddle. Don't beat him if he doesn't.
Just go back, start again and ask again and be patient. Try to give
some extra ooomph just before the moment you notice he usually stops
at. Make sure he goes slow and doesn't race through and slip.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Under saddle he needs to be really confident in you to go through that
water. Always choose something realtively easy and shallow. Wide also
helps so it's harder to avoid it. Look well on ahead of the puddle to
where you want to go, and ride at a walk, to that point. Don't look
down at the puddle. Don't think about it, just ride. If you tense up or
keep your eyes on it I imagine he will think it's something to worry
about. Horses also rely on us if we act like their eyes, in other words
if we are the ones watching where we're going ground wise. That's not