Breaking and training

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Actually to start lunging we have usually had someone walk with the horse on the outside for the first few times in walk to get the horse used to lunging. Rushing lunging is what causes there to be issues. There was only one horse we had issues with lunging and to this day he is still nto broke. Hes been to professional wesern trainers who were not able to break him either. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The difference bettween a roundpen and lunging a horse is that with lunging the horse is not forced to bend, they can easily move and they are not restricted. This is what can cause the injury factor on young horses.... Sure if you have an older horse who is developed then its different, their joints can take more. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To me, bending is somthing that is best learnt through proper training and "building blocks"... Not forced... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But I dont really care what everyone else uses, I will never ever use one though. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I love it for ground training. I've seen some amazing western trainers who swear by it to start horses, work on ground manners, etc etc etc. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with some of the comments above. A lot of young horses will not be correctly balanced on a lunge line, and tend to stick their outside shoulder out and not be correctly balanced. I find they find their balance a lot easier in a roundpen. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And honestly---a few minutes a few times a week is not going to kill a young horse. The best horses I've seen have used roundpen training to bring them along. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have you ever seen a good trainer use one Xena? We have a Reiner and Team Penner at our barn with a string of horses he's started, competed and sold using the round pen system. Those horses are the quietest, soundest horses I've seen in a long time. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yes, there is a very good western trainer in our area that uses a round pen. I still do not like them based on the information and research I have read. And I still will never use them. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I dont believe in forcing balance or bend. Its something learnt. Not just thrown in one day in the round pen. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# And I honestly dont see a differene in the end result of a horse who has used a round pen and a horse who has been trained the regular way people have been doing for centuries. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All it is is a bunch of rediculous popularity because it is something new that the "big guys" monty roberts or whoever use. Dont get me wrong it may be an excellent tool if you have a wild horse that you cant touch yet.... But for any regular horse it just isnt necessary. Its a scam to make a ton of money on these things. Ive know people around here that have bought them and found they were a waste of money. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I cant remember which magazine this was but there was quite a big article on research that was conducted about the use of round pens and the effects on young horses. It may have been either horse sport... or horse illustrated or something. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyways I have seen tons and tons f GREAT trainers train their horses the good old fashioned way which works just as well. It may take a bit longer to get the balance, but at least the horse is balancing in its own time and comfort level. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Agree to disagree :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Happy Appy's » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:07 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#round pen/lunge aside, Is there any thing else I should try doing?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Happy Appy's
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#sorry happy appy for kinda changing the subject of your post I am going to start a new post about lunging verses round pen :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Previous

Return to General