Breaking and training

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Breaking and training

Postby Happy Appy's » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When would you start to break and train a filly that was born April 04?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Happy Appy's
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Piaffing » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just do lots of ground work. Next spring back her. Just enough to get on her back and maybe walk around a little. Then don't get on her back again until the following year, but continue with the ground work. Any real training will start in the horse's third year.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#that is exactly what I did and it worked out well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ya pretty much the same as above lol. When I broke my first pony project ALOT ALOT of ground work was done and placing tack, grain bags, sweat shirts ANYTHING you can find all over my ponies body. I had my pony be able to walk trot canter on the lunge line and even going over trotting poles and jumps. Then the moment came when I could SIT ON HIM LOL it was the best feeling ever lol but ya lots of ground work ;) then by age 3 start backing! hope i helped and good luck with your horse or pony that you are breaking! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#same as piaffing... everything Ive broke has been done that way. Xena was broke that way too... You dont actually do any riding work the first year, like piaffing said, everything that you really start working on is done in the 3rd year when the horse is more mature... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#None of the horses ive broke have had issues, none that my trainer has broke have had issues, and look at all the TBs? All of them are broke this younge, and then raced and there are alot who dont have issues. The issues come from the hard racing. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I guess it depends on the horse. Harvey was started fall of her 2yo year (so technically she was 2.5 i guess).  She just did some walking, a little bit of trotting here and there, and did that 1 - 2 times a week. She got a break from Jan - April with lots of ground work then was started into work full swing, ridden 2 - 3 times a week and starting to canter. She's coming along fahbulous ! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Happy Appy's » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have lots of fun together now. I pony her with my western gelding, Joe, and she likes it. We go out on the trails together and she walks through everything. Joe is strong on the trails, he spooks at nothing which is teaching her not to spook either. We do walk and trot on the trails. I have taught her the basics of lungeing, walk only. She is used to the headstall with a bit, I put it on when we go on the trails sometimes. I don't hook the lead line to it though, she still has her halter on. She knows the voice commands for walk and trot. She has the kids little western saddle on when we go on the trails, she doesn't care about it at all. What else should we be doing?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Happy Appy's
Groupie
Groupie

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I back them at two three or four times, and then leave them alone for 6 months to a year. In the interim, I teach them to load, clip, bathe, take them to a line show, or just a show to plod around, blanket, brush, tie, work in the roundpen, etc etc! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Happy Appy's » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:46 am

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I back them at two three or four times, and then leave them alone for 6 months to a year. In the interim, I teach them to load, clip, bathe, take them to a line show, or just a show to plod around, blanket, brush, tie, work in the roundpen, etc etc! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have done all that except for roundpen work, I don't have one, and clipping. I will try clipping in the spring.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Happy Appy's
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:44 am

meh I hate round pens. They are so useless for young horses, I know some people like them  though. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Other then what your doing, I would wait until the spring/summer when
you can work consistently and start lunging anf getting her used to the
bit and pressue on the bit ect.. . This means lunging walk trot and
canter, getting her used to voice commands ect. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Once she is perfect at lunging usually you will line drive young horses
to get them use to contact on their mouth wthout and actual rider, this
way you get a stop and go, sow down turn this way and that... ect..
This is how you first introduce steering.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
You can practice jumping up and down beside her, standing on a stool
beside her ect... You will e surprised at how many horses get thrown
for a loop the second you are a foot taller them you should be at their
side. Once you have gottem them used to that stuff you usually just
start leaning over the hroses back with barely any weight and grdually
move up. Anything like that you need more then one person for safety
though. Usually an experienced ground person to handle the horse... #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
And you should never underestimate a horses capability, no matter HOW
quiet and people friendly they are. You can have the quietest horse and
think it will be fine and BAM you lean over it and it freaks out on
you. It DOES happen. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kobau » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I follow same as most others do on here. I do use my 60' roundpen, one because i don't have a fenced riding ring, and it is great sand footing, and two , some horses need a lil help to figure out how to go round in a circle on the lunge..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I usually lightly back them sometime in their 2 yr old year. lots of handling and ground work get on them and take whatever they give me. mainly focus on stop and go and some turning. Then they are turned out again, and wait about 6 months bring them back in to work lightly.. more groundwork, more under saddle, taking what they give, some horses progress faster than others... then back out they go and as a 4 yr old i actually start to push them more......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#they are saddled and bridled in the stalls regularly just to get used to it.. blankets tossed on and off etc...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I start them a little later - usually lightly back in the late summer/fall of their 3 yo year, winter off and start them back in the spring of their 4 yo year. I don't teach them to lunge first, the trainer I send them to does use a roundpen, he is a NH cowboy kind of guy, and I prefer to send him a clean slate. The last one I tried to teach to lunge dragged me around the field one time too many. I do have a sand ring now, but no help, so it works out easier for me to teach them to lunge after they come back. This year's 3 yo didn't get sent in the fall because I didn't have the money, I'm planning on sending her in April, she'll be just shy of 4 then, but I would have preferred to send her in August. I don't have anywhere to ride at home as of about now, so there is no point in sending her until the spring now, she's a handful, and if I send her now I'll just end up having to send her twice. I'm too old to be breaking my neck starting horses.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby cnd_cowgurl84 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i would do pretty much what the other are saying but go slow... sometimes there baby minds just cant understand what you want and they get flusterd.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but you know yuor horse better then anyone.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hope that helps.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cnd_cowgurl84
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kobau » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#just thought about it... i rarely teach a horse to lunge.. i do like to get on in my round pen the first times though, since there are no corners for them to get into,a nd it is big enough with being 60' across that we can walk and trot, stops and turns till i trust them to follow those comands, then we slowly move out to the big sand ring...........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#None of my guys that i still have that are two will be started till they are turning 3, it is just the season... and to many to start at once. I do have to start Jinx now cause the darn boy is refusing to slow down with growing and is a biiggg boy already, and steadily getting bigger, a 2.5 yr old QH to me isn't suppossed to be a hair under 15 hh and bum high! and making my big western saddle not look big!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Kobau on Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know why you don't like the round pen Xena...I find it a good place to work on everything...they learn to listen to your body language, and I like to break horses in there, its just a wonderful tool. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There have been many trials coducted with roundpens and young horses and there has been proof that a round pen CAN physically be damaging to a young horse. A round pen basically forces a horse into a bend. This can cause mental stress and physical stress on joints. In a round pen your horse has no way out of the bend because of the horse vision. The horse needs to be able to decided and choose when it is straight or bent. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Id rather spend the time just teaching them to lunge the good old fasioned way which we've been using for centuries. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Flyin' High » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#umm it depends on the breed as well - warmbloods should be started much later than horses such as QH or TB, because they develop a lot slower mentally and physically.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#my horse is 2.5 right now, and has been broke, and in training since march.... and he showed this summer. he did get 2 months off from the middle of july to the middle of september, but other than that his training has bene ongoing - lightly of course, but there is still training. HOWEVER, i had him for 7 months prior to backing him, and it was ALL groundwork... he's a little rusty due to lack or practise, but he knew his paces on the lungeline, he knows to stop when i stop, turn when i turn, etc.... my 3y/o neice can lead him and he's good as gold (of course im always beside just in case)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#im my opinion it completely depends on the horses mental and physical capabilities...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Flyin' High

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I dont really have a problem with round pens because really and truely how different is it from lunging a horse??  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby Flyin' High » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i agree with you eclipse.. actually, i'd rather roundpen a horse than lunge it, because its not tied to you. roundpenning a horse forces you to use your body language or voice commands (whichever you prefer) to control your horse. i've seen TOO many people ram on the lungeline to get their horse to listen to them. also, when a young horse is on the lungline, some have a tendancy to lean on it, and pull on the person lunging it. in a roundpen there is nothing for the horse to lean on, so it is forced to find its own balance.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#if there was a roundpen at the barn im at, my horse would probably be in it once or twice a week. a mare i was training was in one a lot while in training and it did wonders for her. eventually i took her out of it and lunged her "normally" and she responded to all of the commands i had taught her in the roundpen, and there was no leaning on me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Flyin' High

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ya exactly!! flyin high! like when I had started training my pony project I kinda wish we had we had a round pen! it would have been a whole lot better then being dragged around the arena in the begining! if we had a round pen he could have learned to bend more because I guess his previous owners did everything on the right side! so he would rear, buck on his bad side and would NOT bend! Leslie#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Next

Return to General