Paddock Accident...

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Paddock Accident...

Postby Patricia » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I seem to be plagued with bad luck.  I, NOT my horse sustained a paddock accident.  He has been out of work for lack of decent footing and can't find an indoor.  I guess he was feeling good and don't even know how he did it but I got stomped on and hoofed double barrel with hind shoes too.  I dropped like a brick.  It brought tears to my eyes.  I was able to release him and hobbled back to the barn.  I could feel the heat in my thigh through my jeans immediately BUT it was my foot that gave me trouble.  I bruise so easily too.  I iced my foot and thigh.  I decided to get checked out at the little local hospital.  I had no movement in the big and second toe and the bruise weirdly enough was the under side of my foot not top.  I was lucky he just missed my knee cap...I have a 6" and 4 " bruise that is growing now.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can laugh at this now...but as I stood in front of the hospital door I was using that foam to sanitize my hands...the door opened automatically out and hit my toe....I went down again...This older woman was kind enough to help me up...It brought tears to my eyes.  I got x-rays and nothing broken but it is a large hematoma in two toes and the whole ball of my foot.  Thankfully bad weather has kept the horses in and I hobble around them to clean stalls.  I am not looking forward to putting him out again...DEFINITELY chain over the nose as he has a great respect for it when I load him on the trailer.  Prescription strength Ibuprofen is my friend...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Patricia on Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby PerfectAngel » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ouch!!! that sux...hope you heal quick-like, it's no fun to hobble cleaning stalls.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ouch.....I feel your pain! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Azalee » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh geez.  I can commiserate.  Wishing you a speedy recovery!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby MacnRio » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh Patricia, hugs to you.  OWW. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had toe injuries in the summer and MAN do they hurt!  Mine wasnt even horse related. I was running for the phone (it was inside, I was outside) and kicked a cemented railroad tie bordering my garden.  Pinky and next toe over were broken.  Wore a boot cast, if only to stop banging them on everything.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Feel better soon, take lots of good drugs! lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Boy, Patricia, you haven't been having much luck lately, have you?  Sorry to hear about your accident.  Definitely sounds like an over-exhuberant horse.  This rainy, cold weather has really SUCKED!!  Tequila was in most of yesterday, due to the downpouring rain.  It's supposed to get cold tomorrow so hopefully you'll be able to put your boy back outside.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Feel better soon!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Megan Ball » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ouch! I hope that you heal quickly! I broke my pinky toe( Peanut stepped on me) a couple of weeks ago and it still hurts!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Eileen » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:48 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Holy Sh*t Batman....you sound like you are a walking accident looking for a place to happen....been there a few times...hope you mend quickly....#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby jax » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh man, talk about insult to injury! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/1.gif"#ed_cl#  And at a hospital too!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At least nothing's broken (other than some blood vessels), that's great to hear.  Should be like watching a sunset for a few weeks though...ooooo, look at the pretty colours! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Emerald » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ouchy!, Ouchy!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I got kicked in the back of the knee once, I made a loud Smack, I thought something broke and could not believe I could still stand. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you have a Cane?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They come in Real handy, and a little easier than Crutches.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Emerald

Postby TrueColours » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh no!!! You poor thing ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Getting hurt sucks big time ... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here's hoping for a speedy recovery before the snow and ice and bad weather hits ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ouch!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hope you're feeling better soon!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Hev339 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:39 am

Ouch!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hope that you are feeling ok soon, sounds like it could have been a very nasty accident, and glad to hear you're ok.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby rubberman » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Patricia, glad the injury is nothing serious&nbsp;but it is going to be painful for the next little while.&nbsp; Yes there are times when Advil extra strength is&nbsp;my best friend as well since some of the old break injuries have come back to haunt me as arthritis.&nbsp;&nbsp;Get well soon and try to avoid having any further accidents.&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
rubberman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Foxie » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OUCH!! and the fall at the hosiptal! OUCH!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wishing you a speedy recovery!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Trufflemaker » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yowza. Nothing hurts more than an injury to the foot. And then a second one on top of the first! I am surprised you didn't faint!! Have a speedy recovery. Try some Arnica cream on the bruised areas. I sound like a broken record, but it really does help.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby Patricia » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There was a momentary blackness when my knees buckled I held onto the wall....I remember trying to tell this woman who rushed over&nbsp;to support me....It kind of came out all garbled it is my foot...the silly door hit my sore foot...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your the 3rd person to tell me about Arnica...I am going to the REAL health food store today to get some...Can't hurt.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They weather here is frightful and the horses will remain in again today.&nbsp; Heavy winds and a ridge of storm clouds coming through and it looks like it will be raining again.&nbsp; They say it will turn to snow...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I knew there was a good reason to buy my rubber boots&nbsp;a size larger...I can just barely slip them on to get to the barn.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#Going to venture out to check on them and try to do stalls...Thanks for the support....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby horsemad! » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Trufflemaker and I share a brain... get thee to a health-food store, Patricia!&nbsp;#ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/3.gif"#ed_cl# I can't believe you haven't already... or get the Mr. to pick it up for you... post haste!&nbsp; Don't #ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#U#ed_cl#make#ed_op#/U#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# me drive out to you with Traumeel in hand!!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ouch! I wish you a speedy recovery.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby tbbrat » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ow, that sounds painful!&nbsp; Just be careful and keep an eye out for swelling further up your leg.&nbsp; When I broke my ankle (chipped the ankle bone) a few years ago, my foot and ankle were black, and I ended up with a blood clot in my leg -&nbsp;from broken blood vessels I guess.&nbsp; Not a good thing, and I had no idea, nor did the doctor - he thought it was cellulitis.&nbsp; After a day spent undergoing tests at the hospital . . . I ended up on rat poison for four months.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, take care!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Next

Return to General