Last Night's lesson

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Last Night's lesson

Postby Foxie » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Last night we had a lesson. I couldn't believe how good Ozzie was. It was his first time being in the arena in the pouring rain. You all know how loud it can get in arena's but he handled it like it wasn't a big deal. He did spook a little when we first got in but I made him go back and forward over the spooky place. After that he was great. He was working on the bit, using he's hind end and really responding to my aides.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/11.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm soooo happy with the way things are progressing. We are still working on his "race horse surges" but he's getting better. We still have the walking away with mounting issues but he is walking away.... slower. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Last Night's lesson

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:31 am

Foxie wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm soooo happy with the way things are progressing. We are still working on his "race horse surges" but he's getting better. We still have the walking away with mounting issues but he is walking away.... slower. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#woo hoo!! way to go foxie & ozzie!! yah...those race horse surges...always keeps you on your toes eh? and the walking away thing.........hopefully he'll get it, in time...afterall in racing land the jocks mount while the beasties are walking.....so ozzie thinks you should do the same LOL!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby TrueColours » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Aw - thats terrific!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You just feel so darned good after a nice ride when you can feel and see the progression with them!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby Foxie » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:54 am

babytigger wrote:
Foxie wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#woo hoo!! way to go foxie & ozzie!! yah...those race horse surges...always keeps you on your toes eh?
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You're telling me!!! I always have to be on my toes. This is the first horse were I can't lose my concentration  for one minute. It's lots and lots of circles and half halts. He's getting there. We're going to be taking him to Twinholm's baby green division during the winter to see how he does. Wish us luck!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#BTW...photos will be coming soon!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Foxie » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:58 am

TrueColours wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Aw - thats terrific!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You just feel so darned good after a nice ride when you can feel and see the progression with them!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#TC- its feels absolutely terrific!!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Love/1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, Foxie, I give you credit for being able to deal with Ozzie's "racehorse" habits.  Dali did the same things and I was never able to feel comfortable with them (always hated that feeling of being out of control...still do, actually).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congrats on a good lesson last night too.  I also had a lesson but ended up never getting on Tequila.  The pounding rain on the roof of the arena was just tooooo much for her little brain to deal with LOL!!  So, I spent the time doing ground-work and getting her over her desire to run around the arena, trying to "escape" from every little noise and horse-eating monster that she thought was lurking in every corner <sigh>  After 1-1/2 hours, she had quieted down to the point where I felt comfortable getting on her but I didn't have my reins, and was too tired to be bothered going to get them.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One good thing that can be said for TBs is that they are usually pretty bombproof when it comes to noise and commotion.  Dali likely would have totally ignored the pounding rain last night, and he only ever spooked at the far end of the arena twice when I had him, and those were times when people were working back there and popping up out of nowhere.    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If only I could combine Dali's non-spookiness with Tequila's laziness, I'd have my perfect horse! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yay!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had a great ride last night too..the snow was falling off the coverall and Sneakers didn't bat an eye, just worked on, and in a new bit too! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:04 pm

Foxie wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You're telling me!!! I always have to be on my toes. This is the first horse were I can't lose my concentration  for one minute. #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL - yes, they feel it...very sensitive to that sort of thing................pictures!! yay. c'mon!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol chenders........there are some lazy TBs out there ya know............it does happen!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby jax » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:12 pm

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had a great ride last night too..the snow was falling off the coverall  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#WHAT??!! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/3.gif"#ed_cl#  You said a bad word!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:49 pm

chenders01 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If only I could combine Dali's non-spookiness with Tequila's laziness, I'd have my perfect horse! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You'd have Boomer!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Love/1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Actually he is far easier to keep moving forward now than he was a year ago.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My pouring rain adventure involved trying to convince a recalcitrant donkey that he could walk through the puddle that had developed just inside the doorway of the barn. He seemed to figure that he would rather stand outside shaking, wet and cold than get his feet wet to get inside the warm barn. My jacket is still wet... I eventually had to go and get the SO, he pulled and I pushed and we got him in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Foxie » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:31 pm

chenders01 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, Foxie, I give you credit for being able to deal with Ozzie's "racehorse" habits.&nbsp; Dali did the same things and I was never able to feel comfortable with them (always hated that feeling of being out of control...still do, actually).&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Trust me its a work in progress. I've never ridden an OTTB right from the track. They were always&nbsp;schooled by the time I rode them. I worked on the lunge line at the trot for at least 4 lessons. The first two was me just getting used to the sheer power of him. Now that I've learned not to be afraid of the surging and can pretty much anticpate(sp?) when he'll do it. Now that we mastered the walk, trot..We are starting canter. I canter on the lunge line so I don't have to worry too much about him getting strong and concentrate more on my position. My coach is trying to make this a positive experience for both of us. I'm taking this slow because I don't want to "ruin" him because of my riding so to speak. I know I'm a great rider but I don't want to make any mistakes and have a horse that rides 'hallow and not on the bit'. When I watch&nbsp;my coach&nbsp;ride it looks soooo easy.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:37 pm

jax wrote:
graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had a great ride last night too..the snow was falling off the coverall&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#WHAT??!! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/3.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp; You said a bad word!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL..forgive me.I was just so pleased that he didn't care..maybe if we did snow dances and embraced the weather it wouldn't be so bad?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Return to General