A different paddock accident

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

A different paddock accident

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm pretty mad about this. My BO is a schoolteacher so he has staff, one guy is great, has been working there for a couple of years, but he only works Mon-Thurs. The BO is always there on weekends, and had hired a girl for Fridays, which seemed to be working out well until this past Friday. She turned the wrong horse (Isny) out in Boomer's group. Isny and Boomer got in a fight and Boomer nearly lost his eye. As it was he cut a major blood vessel, apparently he was bleeding so much it was coming out of his nose. One of the boarders was there and she got the bleeding stopped. Isny was lame and also had various cuts and bruises, so neither me nor his owner are too happy about this, and I did say something to the BO, but I must admit I am a little nervous about what will happen this Friday. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The barn worker is trying to blame it on the boarder that was there, she is saying that the boarder said that was the paddock that Isny goes in, but I don't buy that, I know this boarder knows where all the horses go, especially Isny because he is out with one of the horses she rides!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also it is pretty easy to figure out what horse goes where - each paddock is numbered and each horse has the corresponding number of it's paddock on it's stall card. This girl is a college student so I am hoping she can count to 6 by this point in her life.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm going to give the BO a call tonight or Thursday night and make sure there is some kind of plan in place so that this doesn't happen again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's my vent.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh Ruth, that's awful!  What do you do in a situation like this?  I'd be tempted to send the BO my vet bill since he was the one who put this girl in charge.  BUT if you like the place and the BO, you might not want to take that step. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd be really worried about this Friday too!!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I hope that your boy heals up quickly...and that the BO does something to ensure that this girl is VERY clear on which horses go into which paddocks.  Sheesh!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#geesh - hope that boomer will be ok ruth - what sort of prognosis has he got??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and as for the girl trying to blame it on the boarder.....why can't she just say she made a mistake & be done with it......she looked at the paddocks layout wrong, etc.........it does happen, and i'm sure the BO & the boarders would much prefer her say she screwed up, and apologizes for it than listen to her saying "oh it's so & so's fault"....as for her being in uni & counting to 6 - somedays i wonder how some kids got into uni/college........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and just to be devils advocate - i hope the boarder didn't tell her the wrong paddock, and if she did, then she ought to be apologizing to all involved.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but in the end, the barn staff is supposed to know this type of thing, it's their job. when i worked for the racing TB breeders - each "set" of horses had their paddocks - there are reaosn for it....within a couple of days i knew where all the horses went & who went out with who...and that was doing at least 5 barns worht or turnout...and full barns as well (not just 3-4 horses...more like 16-20 horse each barn, with colts in training, yearlings, weanlings, prego mares, etc).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby TrueColours » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oh geez ... I hate when crap like this happens because someone didnt follow simple instructions.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Horses can get into enough trouble on their own, without having things like this added to the mix#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope that all concerned come out okay ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby Kobau » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope boomer is ok. And hope something is done about the worker. I know how easy it is to screw up turnouts... but i also know that you have to admit if you screw up!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Fingers crossed about it all#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gosh Ruth....that is a real serious injury.  How is Boomer doing?  I can't stand stupidity like that.  You should leave them with the vet bill.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have a dry erase board with a diagram of the paddocks and horses names written in each paddock.  It happened to us last year.  The BO's mother didn't know the new horse (ours) and though oh I'll put him out with this Hanoverian mare.  Well let me just say...when I arrived he was back in his original paddock.  Although, I noticed he had been kicked in the hock and his leg was like a stovepipe.  Do you think through an electrical fence...Surprise...I was told he was found in her paddock...She is BOSS MARE....our guy likes to think he is KING...well you can just imagine.  No one came forward and no one said sorry.  Although, I left a note to let them know I wasn't very happy.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thats horrible!!! It could have been prevented #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But ya know, sh*t happens. Maybe she made a honest mistake, i would be super mad about it though#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jax » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was going to mention about numbering the paddocks because that's what our barn did way back when, but I see that's already in practice.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would understand that sh*t happens, but to blame someone else is just wrong.  I'm glad that someone was there to help the horses.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Maybe make sure that the "girl Friday" is left a note explaining everything if the BO can't be there when she starts work.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Notes are great..its too bad things like this happen. I hope things go better on this friday. I'm sure she never intended something like this to happen, but when its spelled out on their cards on their stalls it can't be that hard. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:18 pm

Pretty_Pony72 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thats horrible!!! It could have been prevented #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But ya know, sh*t happens. Maybe she made a honest mistake, i would be super mad about it though#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah....BUT, when you're talking about horses, a mistake like that could result in DEATH, or at least, VERY serious injury.&nbsp; I would be some mad were that my horse.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There are mistakes that you can overlook but then there are those that should NEVER have happened and WOULD have been prevented, had the person really been on the ball.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I really hope that Boomer (and the other horse) is okay!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, I&nbsp;don't count this one as sh*t happens because it was a mistake that should not have happened. If it had been a scuffle with Descartes who is the boss of Boomer's field (Boomer is next in command, and the other two that go out in that paddock wouldn't DARE mess with Boomer or Des) I would chalk it up to this is the price I pay for letting my spendy WB be a horse. But it wasn't.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't think the boarder told her the wrong paddock. I know this boarder knows where Isny goes. What I think happened is the barnworker misunderstood her. Even so the number system is in place if there was a question.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thankfully the boarder was able to get the bleeding stopped and it didn't require the vet to come out and stitch it - it is a very small cut, the problem was that it was a major blood vessel that was cut. Another 1/4 inch to the right and he would have had damage to or lost the eye. Someone was looking out for him and me, because I think the worst that may happen is he may lose the corner of the lid, and even that's only maybe. The swelling is down today, so I think that's the worst that will come of it, touch wood.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm going to suggest to the BO that he also draw her a map of where everyone goes. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't want to move, I've been there for almost 5 years and up until this point the only complaint I've ever had is that I would prefer the horses out longer than 6-7 hours a day. Also I don't know that there are any better options in my area, the last time I went looking at boarding this was the best place for me - there are 2 places that have opened up since, one there are things I like about it but also things I don't, and the other is Daphne Haagman's, which I probably couldn't afford.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby TequillaJack » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm a bit of a female dog when it comes to my horse and his safety, if that were my horse I would be damanding that something be done about that worker.&nbsp; Yeah sure it was a misake but she cant own up to it.&nbsp; Also the horses are numbered to which paddock they go out in, unless you are told different each horse should have gone out in the paddock number assigned to them.&nbsp; Even if a boarder siad different, still goes in the paddock number assigned to them, unless the BO says different.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've seen people fired for alot less.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth I hope Boomer has a speedy recovery, and if your going to send anyone the vet bill I would be giving it to the worker.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:37 pm

TequillaJack wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth I hope Boomer has a speedy recovery, and if your going to send anyone the vet bill I would be giving it to the worker.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd give it to the BO and let *him* deal with the barn worker.&nbsp; It's ultimately HIS responsibility, as he put this girl in charge.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ruth - how logn has this girl been there? was she only there a week or two.........or has she been there some time now. if it's a case of this was her first or second friday alone - then the BO is totally responsible, as he left an untrained worker in charge with no supervision........just what i think.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#glad boomer should be alright!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby zooka » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wow poor guy.&nbsp; I hate it when people can not own up to their mistakes.&nbsp; I also agree "if" the boarder had said the wrong thing the worker should have checked the number on the stall....&nbsp; I just do not get how she could make that mistake if it is clearly stated on the stall and the numbers are visible on the paddocks...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby tbbrat » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Poor Boomer!&nbsp; Sorry to hear about that - I'm sure you really don't need another vet bill right now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I remember many years ago #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#I#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# was the barn help at a stable.&nbsp; The BO always left me a list of what horses went where - and one day, she made a mistake.&nbsp; I was still fairly new, so I followed the list and put two horses out together that shouldn't have been out together - one beat the tar out of the other.&nbsp; The horses' owner (she owned both of them) blamed #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#me#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl#! - and the BO didn't exactly back me up.&nbsp; Sigh.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, luckily, seeing as there was no vet bill in the end, it's kind of a moot point, but I would agree that if it had come to it, that the BO is responsible for the staff. I don't have any sympathy for the girl who made the mistake because it isn't that hard to figure out who goes where by the numbers. You don't have to have the turnout memorized. He had one woman working for him who was barely literate and she could manage the number system on her own. This girl is at college. I'm just hoping that she feels really bad and won't make the same mistake. The BO is cautious to the point of overdoing it usually, but I am going to call and make sure that he is either going to leave her a map of turnout as well as the numbers or be there himself. If they went out a little earlier I would go up and make sure all&nbsp;was well myself, but they usually are starting to turn out at 9 which is when I leave for work. Still, I may be late that day...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It might be worth being late this once Ruth.&nbsp; That way you can make the point with your presence that you will not stand for that mistake happening again and she may then focus more on what she is doing and do it properly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Leena » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth, I just notice this thread and you must have been completely freeking on this !!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have seen some good fight in my life, one chance it did turn out ok so far.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck !!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#awww Ruth! Its good that Boomer did not need the vet out. I hope he gets better soon!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Next

Return to General