Squashed toes

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Squashed toes

Postby tbbrat » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I got to thinking after reading Patricia's story about being stomped.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just curious.  How many of you have deformed toenails from horse-related injuries?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have one toenail that has never grown properly since it was ripped off by a pony sliding off my foot, when I was about 11 or 12.  It's really thick and weird looking.  Just over a year ago, one of my Standardbreds did the same thing on my left big toe.  There now seems to be a permanent groove about half way up that one where it grew out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Needless to say, I don't wear nail polish on my toes!  (Not that I ever wanted to . . .)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL tbbrat - i don't have any weird toenails from being stomped on. ot not that i've ever thought of as weird anyways......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Patricia » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The sad part is I have never had nice feet and these little accidents never help....LOL!  Both my nails on my little toes have been damaged and grow in thick.  When I was little play at the neighbours wading pool while we where running out...it had a metal side...I hit that with both feet  falling flat on my face damaging the nails...I ALSO have VERY flat feet like a duck with fallen arches.  So I developed plantars fashiatas (sp?) where by the tendons are stretched and you get severe heal pain.  So I had orthodics made to go in my shoes...problem is they don't fit every shoe boot.  Fractured the right ankle once--riding fall and landed standing.  Never good with weak ankles and flat feet..Opps!  Same ankle/foot pulled tendons and ligaments a few times from silly falls walking from the barn on slippery wet grass...and now this.  I don't know how more of a beating these poor ole dogs can take.  They are starting to look like Fred Flinstone feet....LOL!  So your NOT alone...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Azalee » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a deformed toe because of my cat, not my horse.  Years ago, I was walking in the living room when the cat came flying out of nowhere to "attack" me.  Scared the crap outta me!  I dodged and ended up jamming my foot under the couch, broke my second toe and now it points in the opposite direction from the other toes...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My mother insisted on taking me to the walk in clinic to "make sure" the purple crooked toe really was broken.  They actually sent me to the x-ray lab for this.  Tied a string around my toe and told me to pull it to separate that toe from the others.  One of the most painful things ever!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Take the x-ray back to the doctor.  He looks at it and says, "Huh, you really did do a number on your toe."  Gee, whoda thunk it. Taped it up and sent me on my way.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Broke two toes since, which I looked after myself.  They're not deformed though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#After all that...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do have a squished boot from my horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby Hev339 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:11 am

I definitely have a place in the deformed toe club. lol.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I was working at a barn a couple years back, and had one pregnant TB
mare in each hand, and all three of us slipped on ice. Both of them
used my feet as a grip to get back up...that was a little painful,
broke 3 toes that time. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I also broke my finger this summer, jammed it trying to get a horse on
a trailer and it instantly turned purple. Couldn't even touch anything
without it hurting for about a month, and I looked like an idiot with
one of those splints on my middle finger, flipping the bird at everyone
all the time. :s lol. Needless to say, it now has a funny bend to it
and a bump on the top, but still works just like all my other fingers. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *rickie* » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Very strange, that this topic would come up! I was just looking at my toe that was stomped on really badly a few months ago!  This STB that I was leading out, was walking FAR to closely to my feet for comfort, so I was pushing his shoulder over, and making him walk BESIDE me, instead of ON me. Well he won! he steped on my right foot while it was in mid step! so of coarse I pulled it back up so as not to fall down (if I hadn't I would have been flat on my ass!)....well he was standing on my shoe, and 1/2 my sock, while I had ripped my sock in 1/2 pulling my foot up! That hurt SOO MUCH! And it was a toe nail that was thick as well, and those of you who have thick toe nails, know that they hurt SOO much when you stub them, now imagine being stepped on, and ripping your foot out from underneath! OUCH! It brought tears to my eyes!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#So I lost that Toe Nail (and not to mention sock as well!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/14.gif"#ed_cl#), and has now grown in VERY much smaller than my other Big Toe Nail...so it looks funny, and now it's all lumpy. Like it's not smooth at all!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#To boot, I have 2 other toes on that same right foot that have thick toe nails, and all of my toes (on both feet) aren't straight. They all curl DOWNWARDS! (weird I know, it's cause I use to curl my toes under  my feet ALL the time when I was little!) and of coarse they're all slanted out. So I do have like the UGLIEST feet! When I was little I refused to wear sandles, and when I was at the beach, no one ever say my feet, they were always burried under sand....even while walking!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby tbbrat » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've never broken a finger, but I sprained the index finger on my right hand a couple of weeks ago.  I'm almost afraid to tell you how!  One of the roosters came up and pecked at my foot (rather aggressively) so I started chasing him to instill in him that I'm #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#a lot#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# bigger and meaner than he is.  Wouldn't you know it, Angel, one of my goats, ran in front of me, so down I go trying to avoid squashing her!  Try and explain that at work. LOL  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Azalee » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:29 am

tbbrat wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've never broken a finger, but I sprained the index finger on my right hand a couple of weeks ago.  I'm almost afraid to tell you how!  One of the roosters came up and pecked at my foot (rather aggressively) so I started chasing him to instill in him that I'm #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#a lot#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# bigger and meaner than he is.  Wouldn't you know it, Angel, one of my goats, ran in front of me, so down I go trying to avoid squashing her!  Try and explain that at work. LOL  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I suddenly feel a lot better about my cat story!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby Patricia » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL!...I had that happen to my finger this summer too...once again leading a horse and wrenched that middle finger...It went rainbow colours but didn't seek out medical attention.  It now doesn't have the same flexibility and the joint is twice the size.  I have small hands/fingers so it looks like a man finger on my small hands...LOL!  I think it is arthritic in the joint hence the size...I use it to forecast the weather...LOL!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Lix » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ahh - yes, toe deformity due to horses!  Count ME in! ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#First off though - what's with STBs and broken toes!  I had my right toe broken 3 times by a STB and now I read that two of you had an experience with a STB too!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My stories are not so glamorous (nowhere CLOSE to tbbrat's sprained finger - LMAO!).  I just got stepped on good by this STB whom I handled every day for years.  He had issues with space and was always walking on top of you.  He stepped on me many times, but 3 times, my little toe couldn't take it.    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I *should* have gone the hospital to get it replaced.  After breaking 3 times, my toe now faces the side instead of the top.  My nail is ok but you can see the bone is broken (well, healed now but it protrudes where it cracked).  It's acutally quite disgusting and even after all these years, it's still retained a disgusting red colour.  I am so embarrased of my right foot I always get sandals that hide my little toe and if I'm barefoot, I always rest my left foot on top of my right one to hide my toe.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I broke my left little toe banging it into a heater this summer and it too cracked right out of place - it was sticking out to the side!  This time, I went to the hospital to get it replaced.  I had to in fact, since it was actually seperated from my other toes. *barf*  I can sympathise Azalee - I got so queasy when they were handling my toe for the x-rays.  I giggled (out of nervousness) the whole time I was at the hospital.  The Dr. told me he's freeze my foot to put my toe back in place but I told him not to (I was too scared of the needle, lol).  He looked so surprised!  Anway, he banged it back into place with no pain killers.  OMG the pain.  But I was just in a laughing hysteria (I was nervous and queasy).  Very, um, painful and weird experience.  Good news is, it this toe healed nicely and I don't have to hide it! ;) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Ruth » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have been stepped on more times than I can remember, but so far so good, no deformed toes or nails. I did break 3 fingers driving Tuffy once though. I didn't think they were broken, I sat at my friend's place all afternoon with them, but when my dad picked Tuffy and I up he took one look and said that as soon as we got the horse looked after we were going to the hospital for X-rays. Sure enough they were fractured.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Serenity » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All 10 of my toes are messed up, they all look like they have huge knuckles because I had a draft step on both my feet and broke every toe.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~* Serenity Love *~
Serenity
Groupie
Groupie

i got wierd nails after my broken leg

Postby Phil » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its interesting you can plot times of plenty or ill health in horses hoofs feeling rings in the hoof wall and lines and stuff.  Well i broke my leg back in june,  Horse kicked to the leg at the track while ridng ended up with a compound Tib/Fib fracture nastiness well anyways.  I noticed a few weeks later i developed the same lines in my toe nails, there just about grown out not but i found it pretty interesting.  All i need now it to be able to walk again still partial wieght bearing with an external fixator, I really wanna make it back to work for next years racing season.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Phil
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What a tough break Phil--No pun intended.  I hope you more mobile soon and can get back to the track by Spring.  I found when I fractured my ankle I asked what the best exercise was and they said walking.  I lived in the city then so would walk the kids to school and back.  In your case maybe your doctor has suggested physio...it sounds more serious than my break and a totally difference injury...Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby tbbrat » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ouch, Phil!  That must have been quite a kick.  Once, when I was at Flamboro, I was towing a horse while jogging.  He must have been feeling good, because he went straight up on all four legs and kicked sideways, catching me twice in the thigh.  I was lucky, just had a couple of dandy bruises and a tear in my rain pants where a stud caught them.  Good thing I liked the bugger!  He was a character.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Shoal » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:14 pm

LMAO......Tbbrat I can see you doing that after meeting your farm family!.....
LOL...I can't stop giggling!
Shoal

Return to General