This is going to kill me...

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

This is going to kill me...

Postby Champ » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#Alright. I have sat here for the past two days trying to remember something and I was hoping some of you could help. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#The other night while I was working out at the barn, Danielle was doing her lessons and the young girls mother was talking about some sort of Foundation that for Christmas for like $50 you can buy a turkey for a family in a different country (I think it was Africa) and then that family raises the turkey and then will eventually eat it or sell it to make money, or you could give more money and you could get two turkey's, eggs, full years supply of fresh water, medication....etc... and then you can put in it someones name for like a xmas gift idea. So its kind of like planting a tree and giving the little card to someone saying theres a tree planted in your name. Well they have things for fundraisers and I was thinking of getting the information and bringing it to my school and getting all the students for bring in like $2 and that money will go to the foundation and away to the families. My school is a uniform school and we have "Civies Day Buyouts" (we have one today) and with these each student brings $2 and they get to wear normal clothes, like no uniforms. So i was thinking of doing it like that. Having everyone bring in $2 and you get a civies day. but the problem is..... #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE WEB SITE :S or the name of the foundation .... :S I remembered it Wednesday and I'm like ok as soon as I get home I have to check it out.... well now me having a short term memory lol j/k I cant remember it. So I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about what Im talking about. I think the lady said (from the barn) that it was a Canadian Foundation but I could be wrong... the name of it is on the tip of my tounge but its just not comin lol. I need help.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#I think this would be a great idea for our school we have 1300 students in my school and we could make like $2600 which would do a lot. cuz only $50 gives them a turkey and a few other things... just imagine the possiblilities with $2600!!!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#Anyways if anyone knows what im talking about please please please please let me know. Even if you know of some foundation just list them off. It might bring some sort of memory back to my ole brain lol.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Thanks in advance!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Katers & Champers#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Champ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#there are lots...just don't get ripped off.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#one i know of is:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.worldvision.ca"#ed_cl#www.worldvision.ca#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hope that helps....with some of them you can give gifts of cows, goats, rabbits, clothing, if you have enough cash you can even build a well or build a school!!!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Very good idea...we used to put together dinners for the food bank for Christmas..my sister has even been at the soup kitchens on Christmas trying to help out. We take it for granted that most of us have nice warm homes and family for the holidays. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby mdfa » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:22 am

#ed_op#font size="2"#ed_cl#Champ,#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I'm not sure if it's the same thing but World Vision does this.#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#font size="-1"#ed_cl##ed_op#tt#ed_cl# The idea is that you buy them a chicken, or a bunny
or a goat and then the children have fresh eggs, milk, or meat as they
can breed the bunnies and the chickens etc. I think it's an excellent
idea for a school project for Christmas and I hope you can make it a
go. Here is the link to their site and the catalogue of gifts:#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
http://www.worldvision.org   (You'll have to click on the catalogue, can't make the link work)#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Margaret.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/tt#ed_cl##ed_op#/font#ed_cl#
mdfa
Groupie
Groupie

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:23 am

babytigger wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#there are lots...just don't get ripped off.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good point ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Megan Ball » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, research a lot of different charities before deciding on one. Make sure ALL of your money goes to the needy and not just a "portion of" goes to the charity itself. Some of the "portion of" is most of your money!! Remember it's a very good idea. A chicken here costs $5 for just a regular layer bird and a rooster $2. Also disease and ignorance is what kills most of the people over there.Myalaria and AIDS is very common in Africa.Myalaria "can" be cured(most cases) and AIDS can be prevented with education(like knowledge of condoms and disipating myths).So a school and a hospital may be your best bet. A hospital and schools need teachers and nurses and doctors. Wells are also a good idea as water is very precious over there. Well water also helps disipate some diseases like the guinea worm and myalaria(no standing water). Good luck it's a very nice idea and I wish you luck in finding the right choice!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#why are they charging so much for a turkey? You can buy young turkeys and young chickens for like less then 10$???? Me and Happy Appy bought baby chickens and they were like 4$ each.... lol... I know maybe turkeys might be a bit more expensive... But 50$??? I would be careful with the credibility of this charity.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Something else your school could do rather then bring money for their civies days, would be to bring soap and stuff like that and find a charity who will collect this and take it to the places. Then you know that they are getting something... not just putting your money out. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Or like meagan said, look to other things, like educating them about diseases and STDS.... donating condoms or getting a clinic set up in a place like that that will give out depo shots to prevent prenancy because there is alot of rape in those countries too, so condoms wouldnt do anything for that.... and not just to adult women. There is so much n those places that needs emedy... its very sad. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I dont know why they dont have it set up that depo shots are mandatory once the people have say like 2 kids or something. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Champ » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:30 pm

babytigger wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#there are lots...just don't get ripped off.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#one i know of is:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.worldvision.ca"#ed_cl#www.worldvision.ca#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hope that helps....with some of them you can give gifts of cows, goats, rabbits, clothing, if you have enough cash you can even build a well or build a school!!!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#lol omg I love you lol.... yea that seems kinda weird to say but thats the one lol I knew it had something with World in it hahaha YAYAYA!!! Thanks a bunch everyone :D I hope I get to do this. I wanted to raise money for the Katrina victims but I never got the chance :(#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#I dont know how much it actually cost i was just saying $50 of the top of my head lol :P#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Champ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:09 am

Champ wrote:
babytigger wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#there are lots...just don't get ripped off.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#one i know of is:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.worldvision.ca"#ed_cl#www.worldvision.ca#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hope that helps....with some of them you can give gifts of cows, goats, rabbits, clothing, if you have enough cash you can even build a well or build a school!!!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#lol omg I love you lol.... yea that seems kinda weird to say but thats the one lol I knew it had something with World in it hahaha YAYAYA!!! Thanks a bunch everyone :D I hope I get to do this. I wanted to raise money for the Katrina victims but I never got the chance :(#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#I dont know how much it actually cost i was just saying $50 of the top of my head lol :P#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#no prob champ! #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#i mentioned this one as every year for my mum we all get together & buy something for my mum from the world vision x-mas catalog. my mum decided some years ago that eally she didin't need anything for x-mas, so would we please do this for her instead......i looked into it.....from what i can tell, compared to various other organizations, the majority of your money goes towards the actual charity, not admin costs, etc - it's all legit.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#xena- it's expensive because 1. it's charity, and 2. have you ever tried to fed-ex a chicken or rabbit overseas??? lol!!!!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#champ - i think it's a great idea to get your school involved. i think you can order a x-mas catalog from them - my mum gets hers in the mail, but i know she had to request it. i recall doing a similar idea in HS....all the kids would really chip in for a cause like this, but we kept ours local, within TO, for needy families.children here, instead of overseas.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Megan Ball » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#BT they don't ship animals from over here. They buy the animals from the local market areas and then drive them to where they are needed. Chickens are also super easy to raise, as in hatch. Incubators anyone? It wouldn't surprize me if the org office in the local city(in Africa) had incubators on the go, and seeds ready to ship out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Champ » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#hum...I dunno. I just hope this works and the school goes for it. With that many students and that amount of money... a lot can be done with that.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Champ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Champ » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#hum...I dunno. I just hope this works and the school goes for it. With that many students and that amount of money... a lot can be done with that.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Champ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok so if the chickens and turkeys are already there... Ths still poses the questions why are they so damn expensive? Im not trying to be mean about it or anything, but before I give someone 50 for a freakin turkey.... I would just like to know why... lol... I mean I suppose that whoever if running it needs to be paid in some way and perhaps that is the way... But still #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Plus there are so many other things we could be giving them other then chickens or turkeys which most likely will get stolen or something anyways. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena Chanp said she is not sure what the price actually is she just threw that number out there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:40 pm

Megan Ball wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#BT they don't ship animals from over here.
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Meagan - i know - total joke.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They don't?!?!? ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Lix » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know the 50$ is just hypothetical - but it would make sense anyway.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you've ever done a bit of research on third world countries and living conditions, it's easy to see that numerous things could be making food that darn expensive.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is an administration cost - of course.  Whose to say that these needy families are anywhere remotely close to that market that has the poultry.  Some countries (a lot of them in fact) have such bad roads that some can't even be travelled during some parts of the year.  There aren't necessarily trains, buses, etc so often times, it's probably necessary to hire a private transporter for him to put the animals into his truck and drive them from that market to the village in question.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's just an example.  But just because we have shipping companies and nice highways here, doesn't mean it's like that in every country.  Also, just because a chicken is cheap and accessible here, doesn't mean it's cheap and accessible over there.  If there is alot of disease, and a lot of poverty, it could mean raising a simple chicken is a lot more expensive than we realize.  This chicken needs grain, water and care before it is slaughtered. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not saying that's the case with World Vision - I have no idea.  And I agree - do your research to know WHERE the money is going and making sure everything is legit.  But if you just look at country conditions, you can totally see WHY the administration cost for supplying a family with meat could be an expensive ordeal.  I imagine too that World Vision is probably looking at chickens from reliable and more high-end suppliers just to make sure the families who consume them don't get sick.  It would be very bad for World Vision if the next newspaper headline read:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#"Needy family dies due to eating diseased chicken supplied by World Vision".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck with it champ!  It think it's a wonderful gesture!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Return to General