Psychology Needed...UPDATE!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby Faulmer » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Riding should be fun! if you go into the ring with high expectations and an unhappy attitude he feels and knows what you are feeling just relax before ridin and have fun with it if you want something bad enough it will come in due time!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Love Faulmer#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Faulmer
Newbies
Newbies

Postby pmc » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GS -#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You wanted some psychology?  Well, here's my take. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#By currently being focused on not only showing next season but aiming for the championships, you are subconciously sabotaging the very thing you are aiming for.  Let me explain.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#With your current goal in mind, good rides will #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#always#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# have a "yeah, but" attached to them, as in "Yeah, that was a pretty good session, #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#but#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# there was that little issue at the canter." (or whatever!)  And not-so-good rides will feel truly horrendous! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl#  Simply having the goals that you do, and a time limit in which to achieve it, will tend to greatly exaggerate every little thing that doesn't go perfectly well,  because you will feel that each one, big or little, is a step backwards, or, at best, the lack of a step forward.  This puts more pressure on you (and the horse) at every consecutive ride to not only make up for the perceived lost ground from the previous ride, but to move on from there.  This will, inho, only continue to snowball over the coming months, unless you make some changes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do understand about the time frame you have!  Realistically, you can't expect to have the time and resources to pursue this goal into the unforeseeable future. And it's a good thing that you are grounded enough to realize that.  But also recognize that your current mind-set may be the only thing that is actually blocking your path.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I strongly recommend lowering your expectations for yourself and your horse right now.  Take the pressure off of both of you, because, as Dr. Phil would say, "So, how's that working for you?" #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl#  Put the whole showing thing on the back burner, and just focus on getting the fun back into your riding.  I'll bet that once your approach to the time you spend in the saddle relaxes, you will be better able to focus on the over-all picture, rather than becoming discouraged and almost frantic when faced with the smaller daily things that maybe didn't go perfectly within each ride.  And your horse will also sense the change in you, too, with the result that he may well start offering you the very things you've been pushing for. With the shift in attitude, the good things that happen will be totally wonderful, and the not-so-good will be better taken in stride, instead of being focused on and agonized over.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You may even find that by next Spring, you're way more ready to show than you would be had your focus not changed from where it is now. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

An Update...

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I took everyone's advice for the weekend. I threw out my schedule, spent some time grooming and I had a super fantastic ride last night. The nicest one in months. I just got on, let go of everything and rode for me. I worked on myself, and we clicked. It was like my horse took a big sigh and said 'THANKyou...NOW we can get to work!" He was light and responsive, and had a beautiful canter, and some really nice lateral movements. He was so responsive. I quit after 15 minutes. It was so beautiful that I had to. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you all..When I let go of my expectations, it affected both of us. I enjoyed myself for the first time in weeks. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Foxie » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#AWESOME!!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/11.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/15.gif"#ed_cl#  Congrats GS!! See when you just ride and not think so much it really helps. My coach was dead on when she told me that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders here's what she told me about Ozzie and how to handle his surges, speed and the sheer power that he has....just believe that there is no way that this horse can bolt on me.(even though I know that he can) I'm in control and in power. Keep saying it to yourself. It's worked for me so far. Also I find that if I get kinda angry then I forget all about fear!!!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Word_Greetings/7.gif"#ed_cl# Keep us updated.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's wonderful news, Gracie.  Congrats!! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/18.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#awesome GS!! woot woot!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Patricia » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey way to go on the first step in you new attitude!  It is great to be a 'thinking' rider.  Although, you don't want to overdue it and have it control you.  When you relax and just let it happen and you find the fun you were missing back in the equation.  Congrats!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks guys! I feel much better, and I'm sure he does too. I just needed to relax I guess! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:59 am

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks guys! I feel much better, and I'm sure he does too. I just needed to relax I guess! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#that's the idea though - work hard, but enjoy it - weird concept eh? LOL!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Previous

Return to General