Psychology Needed...UPDATE!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Psychology Needed...UPDATE!

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm having a hard time right now. I'll have three great rides in a row and then one terrible terrible ride that decimates me. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I feel as if I'm putting too much pressure on the two of us to have spectacular rides. I think because I know I can finally afford to do a whole show season next year and I want to qualify to go to the Championships  I'm getting too serious about it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its even affected things at home. I spend hours at the barn, and sometimes he's ridden for an hour just trying to get things right. I'm losing focus--everything is dependant on him being good. I forget he's green sometimes and I come down very hard on myself. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What can I do to help this? Everyone has been commenting that I'm way to hard on myself, and I think its because of the negative vibes I've had in the past concerning my riding or my horse from other people. I just feel I could always do better. If I miss a night at the barn, I feel guilty. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Help!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by graciespook on Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby tbbrat » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I believe it was Col. Podhajsky whose "mantra" was "I have time" - and if the Director of the Spanish Riding School can believe that . . . .  Keep telling yourself that "I have time" - you #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#don't have to#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# get a green horse perfect in a week, it ain't gonna happen!.  And the more wound up you get, the more wound up your horse is going to get.  Tension is counterproductive, especially when training horses.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That is a good mantra..I don't know...I feel I spend so much time pleasing everyone and I want him to be perfect...I have worked with countless green horses, and have always been more serene and calm, but on the other hand, I always had a very broke horse I showed all the time in conjunction to that. *sigh*#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I heard a saying like that too... it went something like ride like you have all the time in the world even if you only have 15 minutes. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GS you have MONTHS before show season... I realize you really want to prepare, but if you think you can already qualify you must already be fairly good with your horse right now. I say keep practicing but it may be taking you so long to get things perfect because your sressing about it.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You need to make sure you do different things too or your horse will get bored fast ecspecially a young horse... I dont just practice in the ring with xena, sometimes I take her out just for a trail... Sometimes we jump. You have to keep your practice interesting.... I seem to remember you are in to showing hunter/jumper if I am correct...  If you lighten up a bit right now you will be able to pick up training fast a month or so before your first show, but if you keep doing this until you do start showing you will only be more frustrated. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know...I feel like I have two people in my head..the one who is listening to rational thought, and the other that is ignoring it and feeling anxiety at doing well. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He is going into the hack ring next year, and he's going well enough--w/t/c, goes long and low, etc etc, but it gets frustrating when I see others at the barn have near perfect rides all the time it seems and I do well and then struggle. It just really gets me down! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Foxie » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GS- don't be so hard on yourself!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I feel crummy sometimes too when I have a bad ride but its all a part of learning and riding. Just take it easy and things will all fall into place. I find that if I think too much about my position or whatever when riding it turns ugly. So I've decided to just ride and not think so much. Does that make sense? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Plus with a greenie they are bound to have "green" moments. Don't push too hard. Have fun just riding and it'll show in your rides. You have lots of time to get him ready for the show seasion. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HAVE FUN!!!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Word_Greetings/1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby babytigger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:41 am

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#...I feel I spend so much time pleasing everyone and I want him to be perfect...
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#why are you pleasong everyone else? riding should be for your pleasure & enjoyment. if you don't like it - why do it? your guy will get there, no worries...rememebr...you haven't even had him that long have you, and you've only recently found the time to start riding him regulary again......having a bad ride every so often is not uncommon at all - you know that silly girl!!!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#if you're finding you're having a bad ride...move onto something else, try something easier that you've had success with, or go for a 10 minute hack to give yourself & sneakers a break..........relax, breathe & enjoy. i haven't shown in at least 12-14 years, at least....and you know what, i'll show a bit next season with the big guy, and if we do well, great! if i bomb every ride...oh well, c'est la vie!! don't put so much pressure on yourself....everyone wants to do well, it's natural.......but take it all in stride.......chill out & enjoy riding again!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for all the support guys. I think I need it sometimes. He's not a bad horse, I'm not a bad rider, and I'm always fair to him undersaddle. I don't take my own frustrations out on him. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We worked through his heaviness and did some transitions, some shoulder ins and some travers. He was good by the end, but I have to try and leave on a good note. LAst night was the first time we've worked through a terrible ride to have a few moments of good riding. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:42 am

babytigger wrote:
graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#...I feel I spend so much time pleasing everyone and I want him to be perfect...
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#why are you pleasong everyone else? riding should be for your pleasure & enjoyment. if you don't like it - why do it? your guy will get there, no worries...rememebr...you haven't even had him that long have you, and you've only recently found the time to start riding him regulary again......having a bad ride every so often is not uncommon at all - you know that silly girl!!!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#if you're finding you're having a bad ride...move onto something else, try something easier that you've had success with, or go for a 10 minute hack to give yourself & sneakers a break..........relax, breathe & enjoy. i haven't shown in at least 12-14 years, at least....and you know what, i'll show a bit next season with the big guy, and if we do well, great! if i bomb every ride...oh well, c'est la vie!! don't put so much pressure on yourself....everyone wants to do well, it's natural.......but take it all in stride.......chill out & enjoy riding again!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I need some of you guys here to show with :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Azalee » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have problems with this too.  Sometimes it helps if you set yourself up for success and then leave it at that.  Pick something you know you and horse can do well, and do that for a ride or two.  You can work on other things later, as others have said.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby chenders01 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Aw, Gracie!  I can relate.  I'm going through the same thing with Tequila right now (although my goals are not as lofty as yours).  I really haven't said much on here because I figured that maybe I was alone, and no one else goes through the same things I've been going through with Tequila.  Everyone's posts are always so glowing, and it seems as though I am the only one who has problems with my horse.  It's nice to hear that I am not alone #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Things have not been going well for us either...to the point where I contacted the place where my first horse lives, to ask them if I could have him back.  I was actually considering asking the BO if he'd buy Tequila back from me.  But it turns out that Leo is waaay too valuable where he is (he's a therapy horse) and they can't bear to part with him, so he's staying put (certain students would literally not be able to ride, were it not for Leo).  But that still leaves me with Tequila, who, while an awesome little mare, is still so very green...and spooky in the indoor.  My lesson last Saturday was terrible!!  She was completely spooked in the indoor, due to noise going on outside.  I felt that we had digressed back to Square 1 again!!  It was sooo discouraging!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I often feel sooo out of my league with her, and wonder *why* I am putting all this work into a horse when I could just get my old one back...or get an older, trained horse, instead of putting the blood, sweat and tears into Tequila.  But I really am sooo attached to her now, and feel as though I'd be abandoning her, where I to sell her at this point.  I keep telling myself that "things will get better" and that this is all part of raising a youngster.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, I digress.  But I hope you can see that you are not alone.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Working with green horses is HARD!!  Tequila is pretty quiet, so I often forget how green she is, and I expect so much more from her than she is able to give me.  I expect her to behave like Leo, which is unfair to her.  She is NOT Leo, at least not yet.  I'm pretty confident that she will be him in a few years.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All I can suggest for you is to maybe re-think your goals.  If the training is consuming you, then you are probably putting too much pressure on yourself and your horse.  Take a step or two back.  Instead of making every ride a training ride, spend one session a week not even getting on his back.  Just groom and do ground-work.  I had a really excellent ground-work session with Tequila on Tuesday night.  It had been awhile since I had really done any.  Like you, my focus was on riding, riding, riding.  I've been having a lot of trouble getting her to canter, and I was starting to get consumed with the idea that I Must Get Her to Canter.  I talked to Dee about it and she really brought me back to Earth, by telling me to forget about the canter for now, and forget about forcing her to behave herself at the scary end of the arena.  She reminded me that there Is No Rush to do any of that stuff, and to just take my time with Tequila, become really confident doing the things we do well, and eventually everything will fall into place.  I think that you should take Dee's advice too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's hard, when we set goals for ourselves and it seems that our horses are not cooperating in achieving those goals.  But horses don't have goals like we do.  Their goals are to eat and hang out with their buddies.  When they are not "meshing with our program", then it's time to take a step or two back, get realistic again, and base what we do on THEM and what they're able to give us at the time.  So, take some deep breaths and RELAX!!  Do ground-work, go for hacks, work slowly towards achieving your goals, but also have a "contingency plan" for what you'll do if you can't get to the Championships next year.  It really won't be the end of the world if you don't get there.  There is always 2007 #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//grin.gif"#ed_cl#  You're going to have your horse for a very long time.  There really is no rush to do anything with him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My goals for Tequila are very simple.  I have no plans at this point, to show her next year.  I just want her to be going quietly w/t/c.  If we can achieve that, then I'll figure out where I want to go next.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Remember that having fun with our horses is really what it's all about!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lix » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:45 am

xena_n_joss wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You need to make sure you do different things too or your horse will get bored fast ecspecially a young horse... I dont just practice in the ring with xena, sometimes I take her out just for a trail... Sometimes we jump. You have to keep your practice interesting.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena - that is exactly my philosophy!  A trainer I worked with always sent us out on a hack after a hard workout.  Likewise, when I helped him break horses, he would send me on a hack before a ride with the greenie, or sometimes after.  Some days, I just went on a hack and that's it.  This is someone who trained the ride horses in Pakenham for years.  Say what you want, but those RCMP horses are well trained - and he was the man behind a lot of them.  He also maintained that you can say your horse is getting better and improving only once you've had 25 good rides in a row.  Sounds harsh, but I believe in that too.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Basically, you need to stop drilling him.  Try your best to make it to the championships, but if not, so what?  It'll be next year!  Riding is supposed to be fun - for you and the horse.  Surely, if you are not having fun and the objective of making it to the Championships is what's keeping this from being enjoyable, than maybe you need to revise that goal.  Not to say it's not a good one, but don't put so much pressure on yourself.  Championships and ribbons is not what riding is about!  It's the road to get there! ;)  And tell yourself, you'll get there when you get there.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sneakers is a good guy and I'm sure his heart is in this.  He does look like a horse who wants to please.  But make sure you take the time to bond with him along the way and go on those hacks, canter in the field, whatever.  He'll love you for it and you'll love it too!  I'm sure if you keep that attitude, you'll meet your goals before you know it! ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#he is young, he is never going have perfect rides all the time yet. Same with in the summer, you may get to a show and no matter how good he has been training he may just decide to have a horrible day. And theres nothing you can change about that, it is all exerience learnt. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm so glad I'm not alone Chenders...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know he can do it, and Mr.GS has said the same thing--relax, have fun and the rest will come. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But it gets discouraging. My horse is way too spooky to take on hacks..I've started handwalking him on the trails, because he is just not happy going out onto the trails! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just want to have fun. I may just play around with him this weekend, but I feel like instead of the regular greenie ' three steps forward, two steps back' it goes in leaps and bounds..he'll be *amazing* and I feel great, I relax and then I ride him again another night and its like he's only been backed. Argh....I'm just a little discouraged. He's a nice horse, and he goes well, but, I just need to take a pill. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby babytigger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol GS....i think what you need is a valium!! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/13.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#if riding is all about fun, they why do it if you don't enjoy it -that's how i see it...........i recall saying something similar to chenders (along with others) last year regarding Dali when she was having issues with him, and getting all forlorn over what to do, etc.............if you're not enjoying it, stop it & move onto something else!! and she did  - tequila!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and now it appears chenders needs a kick in the a$$ again #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/18.gif"#ed_cl# #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/1.gif"#ed_cl# #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/19.gif"#ed_cl#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::oomph::there! that oughta do it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#you guys - seriously don't be so hard on yourself - do you freak out this much if you burn dinner or shrink something in the wash?? life goes on regardless of if you had a good ride or a bad ride, and the horses are forgiving enough that they've probably forgotten abotu it by the next time you ride! they don't stress like we do! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Ridingdouds » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:12 am

I would just train him slowly but surely, and show him WHEN he is
ready. You can't set deadlines with horses, you cant hurry up things.
Ridingdouds
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How about hacking him out with an old pro?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Too bad we are not at the same barn anymore - Meeka is bombproof on hacks by herself so I imagine she'd be good with another horse.  Surely there is a fellow boarder you could follow on a little hack to start?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He's probably acting up out there because he's nervous because it's unknown/unfamiliar.  After he's done it a few times, he'll view it as a 'treat'.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Or what you could do is wait until there is 3 feet of snow and then take him on a hack! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL Lix...thats what I AM waiting for ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think the handwalking on the trails will help him immensely, and short rides with bombproof horses will help things as well. I love hacking, and would love to be able to head out on my own on the trails eventually. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And BT? Where are you hiding the valium? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:21 am

babytigger wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and now it appears chenders needs a kick in the a$$ again #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/18.gif"#ed_cl# #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/1.gif"#ed_cl# #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/19.gif"#ed_cl#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::oomph::there! that oughta do it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Heeey, are you getting violent with me now, BT??  C'mon, I can take ya.  Put up yer dukes!! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley18.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Seriously, you're right.  I know you're right.  The funny thing is, I am a very relaxed person about most things, but when it comes to my horse, I'm a bit...shall we say...obsessive??  LOL!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do need a dose of reality, and yes, a kick in the pants every so often.  Dee really helped me out (although in a MUCH nicer way than you did, BT LOL!!) and my Tuesday and Wednesday sessions with Tequila this week were HUGE improvements over Saturday's disastrous ride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's soooo easy to dwell on the negatives and forget about the positives.  I think that when we have bad days/rides with our horses, we really need to go back and remember all the good times we've had, and how far we've come.  I'm sure, Gracie, that if you look back, you'll realize that overall, you and Sneakers ARE improving.  The bad rides are what make us better riders.   They also keep us humble #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've started keeping a training journal for Tequila.  I try to write down, after every session, what we did.  That way, I can go back and see where we were, so that I can compare it to where we are today.  It *has* helped.  You should try it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, and I second (or third?) the idea of going out hacking with a bombproof horse(s).  The hacks I've gone on with Tequila, I've always taken her out with her two prior pasture-mates, and Tequila has been GREAT as she was able to attach herself to her best buddy.  We even had a bona fide spook and bolt a couple weeks ago and I didn't die LOL!!  She bolted a few strides and then slowed right down.  I wouldn't dream, right now, of taking her out alone.  She'd be waaay too stressed and spooky.  Going out alone is something you have to work them up to.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby jax » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One thing that you have to remember is to ride TODAY'S horse.  Just because it was beautiful yesterday, today is a different day.  If things are going badly, go back to something that is easy for both of you to do, do it really well, and then end the ride on a good note.  If that means you only get a 20 minute ride, then so be it.  We are dealing with living, breathing beasties - both the horse and ourselves.  Some days I am a great rider, some days I flop around like a 2 dollar suitcase.  Some days my horse is a GP star, some days she is an ignorant rogue of a mare.  If we start getting frustrated, no one wins.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just ride today's horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to General