Psychology Needed...UPDATE!

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby sugar » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As demented as this sounds, every bad day is an great opportunity to learn something new.  Look forward to them! Rise to the occasion and have fun learning something new.  If he is spooky, do bombproofing, if he is impatient, teach patience, if he is bored, don't be such a bore and vary things. If he is clutzing out, teach him balance and work on your own seat at the same time to ensure you aren't interferring with his action.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Many of the best sessions are done to deal with issues instead of the original plan.  Training a green horse means always working at the horse's rate.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#By the time the horse puts you through all it's quirky moments, you will be a genious and well prepared for anything happening at a show.  Also, it is an opportunity for the horse to learn that you can take care of things and teach him good stuff too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And the sense of pride when you are finished is incredibly gratifying and worth all the frustrations and challenges.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it
Save a horse - Learn to train
Pasofinos Rule!!
naughtypine-ranch @ hotmail.com
sugar

Postby Patricia » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There has been some good advice given.  I with Jax.  Your developing a partnership...It grows and you probably never looked back to your early beginnings to see how far you have already come.  I like to go to the barn with a game plan for each ride.  Simple stuff and don't overface the horse.  Work on all the stuff the horse is good at almost like a little review....then gradually introduce something new....if there is some tense moments go back to something they are good at to relax them.  For our partnership, it was going to a nice rythmic rising trot, long and low.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#With bad weather upons us I am the type to put hacking on hold till spring.  If you have an indoor this is the time to make use of it.  I have found there are some horses who just can NEVER tolerate hacking.  They alway look for things to set them off...whether alone or with company.  Work in the ring and he is all business.  So my focus was dressage and he was great indoors and great in the outdoor ring and the show grounds...venture beyond that and I was risking my life.  So it is all about finding what is his comfort zone and working in it.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I you look back you will see you have made great strides.  Don't worry about what everyone else is doing....Stick to you game plan.  If you horse goes through all it's warm-up and what you expect from that session end after 20 minutes, 30 minutes.  I often don't walk them out to cool them out on these short rides but rather spend more time fussing and grooming them in the barn.  Bonding time.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pace yourself and if your only doing flat classes I don't see why you won't be ready for spring....slow and steady get the job done.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jax is right... Ride todays horse... soooo true! Xena is so wacky  its like ive got a dfferent horse every ride, s I ride tailored to how she is going, sometimes we get tons done, sometimes we dont get much done. Heck ive been able t go out and practice counter canter ect one day and then another time not even be able to do canter work at all. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But she is young and consistency will come with experience. Shes not stupid or anything, she knows what shes been trained... Its just her personality and us trying to work out what isgoing to work. Im not worried... show season doesnt start until june or july for us.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sodapoppers » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Geez...you are worried that 'all' you can do is shoulders in and travers' and that he is feeling heavy on your hands...I can't do that with either of my horses! girl go out and enjoy your horse for what he is: a fluffy loving equine! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl#  He dosn't care about how light and supple he can be. He cares about enjoying his work and the attention and love he gets when you are around. How can you love your horse for who and what he is if you can't accept yourself where you are now and cut yourself some slack? #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#jmo...Hope things get easier for you!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP....The relationship/bonding on the ground is no comparison to the relationship/partnership under saddle.  She has set some goals for herself.  There is nothing wrong with that.  The horse is in training...it is like stepping stones of progress.  I think she appreciates her horse and it sounds to be a VERY close bond.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I must admit I am a lot like the original poster.  I strive for excellence but on my own little level.  Progress comes in stages and often times we don't even realize how far we have come.  #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#My relationship with my horse isn't the same relationship with my dog.  In dressage the progres often times is slow...but it is the building blocks of training and I LOVE that.  The horse isn't a machine but a living breathing animals and it is the partnership and the feeling of oneness...that is what I strive for.  It is like reading, the smallest, simplest aids and you click.  I#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That was eventually. The first half an hour was ignoring my leg, plowing down with my hands, and tossing his head (a habit I HATE..I almost broke my nose once from a horse who did that). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby jax » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Often times I will have to vary my warmup depending on moods.  There are some days when all she wants to do is canter, and unless I let her canter until she doesn't want to canter anymore, there is no point in my continuing to ride because it will just be fight after fight and she will totally ignore every aid I can throw at her.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There are also days when I feel that my balance is off  or I'm not comfortable for some reason, so I will let her toodle around on a longish rein until I get myself loose and working.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Then there are days (and these are getting to be more and more now) when as soon as I get on I know that this is going to be a good productive day, and after a short warm up we can get right down to work.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I look back at what used to happen, when we would walk into the arena and people would tell each other to "stay away from the black horse", I know just how far we've come. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GS - remember, it is not the Olympics. I have show goals too, and my horse is no longer what you would consider green, however that doesn't mean he goes well every single ride - for instance on Sunday I was doing lenghten/collection transitions in canter and every time to the left he would swing his haunches in and trot when I asked him to collect. So we worked more on straightness instead, improved that, got him to come back and then go forward without trotting and called it a day. Monday, he was marvelous, lovely adjustable canter, obedient and not anticipating flying changes. He did trot once or twice when I asked him to come back, but he was straighter and not swinging his haunches in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Like someone else said ride today's horse. Sometimes they are a little stiff or sore somewhere, I am getting much better at listening to what my horse says. Doesn't mean he gets away with stuff, but I will adjust my schooling plan if necessary. Sunday I think his neck might have been a little ouchy from the kick he got from Isny. He wasn't lame, but if his neck was sore he could have been holding himself tight. Usually if he is beyond his normal level of opinionated for the time of day I assume that he is sore somewhere and cut my ride short - my ability to distinguish between "I'd rather be eating" and "My bum hurts" has improved as our partnership has evolved. If one ride isn't great, que sera sera, there's always the next one. I look back at what went wrong and think about how I can improve on it, not focus on the negative. Turn it into a positive learning experience.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't hack either. I do sometimes in the summer, but there is no place to hack over the winter. I ride 4x a week - 3 schools max of 45 minutes, 1 max of 30 minutes. Now that I can't ride Allie anymore I may add another school. He doesn't get sour on this schedule even without hacking. I used to jump him a little but he is such a clutz over fences, and my old TB fractured his second phalanx jumping, so I don't like to jump him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders - maybe you should get some more professional help with Tequila? I know you're attached to her, but why don't you keep your eyes open for someone with a steadier horse that might be interested in trading for something younger? I admire your commitment to making her work out and I hope it does for you. I certainly had issues with Boomer when he was young (my coach loves regaling people with stories about how Boomer used to cart me out of the ring around the barn to the manure pile when their horses are acting up - the story starts out "You see how good Boomer is now, well let me tell you it wasn't always that way....") However, I always kept selling him as an option in the back of my mind, I was prepared to give it a certain amount of time and seek help, but I wasn't prepared to spend years not getting anywhere. There's a girl who has a Morgan gelding there, she bred him and is very attached to him, but this horse developed huge (serious bucking and rearing) issues under saddle - she has spent 3 years working on this horse, getting vets out and shipping him out to vets, massage, chiro, supplements, and yes he is going better, but she still can't ride him outside. He doesn't put a foot wrong for the NH cowboy down the road! He has her number. She has finally come to that realization, and is working through it, but it is taking a lot of nerve. Personally I wouldn't get on that horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby RioG » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow... what good advice everyone has - definitely food for thought for those bad days we all have.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders - I still remember 10 years ago when I bought Rio and got bucked off and reared with on a somewhat regular basis - granted I was only 17 or 18, but I can remembr crying in the tack room, terrified I'd made a mistake.&nbsp; Not that she's a super star horse by any means, but I'm really glad now I hung on to her.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby chenders01 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:14 pm

Ruth wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders - maybe you should get some more professional help with Tequila? I know you're attached to her, but why don't you keep your eyes open for someone with a steadier horse that might be interested in trading for something younger?
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know that I'm ready to take this step yet.&nbsp; I think it's too soon.&nbsp; I've only officially owned Tequila since the middle of May.&nbsp; I almost didn't buy her because I felt at the time that she was too green for me.&nbsp; But I also felt that I could work with her, with help, which I've been getting.&nbsp; And she had other qualities that really attracted me to her&nbsp;(her gaits are soooo smooth and easy to ride).&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The BO at my barn (who I&nbsp;bought Tequila from) is also a NH-type trainer (although he doesn't call himself that) and he put 30 days of training on her in August, plus I take&nbsp;2 lessons a week&nbsp;from him.&nbsp; I'm considering dropping this down to one lesson a week.&nbsp; He's western and is teaching me all kinds of western stuff that I'm starting to think is not what I really need right now...things like pole-bending, barrels and roll-backs (at the trot only).&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The problem is that I really don't know *what* I need.&nbsp; It seems that every time I try to "go it alone" things rapidly deteriorate.&nbsp; I suggested to him that he put some more training on her but he said that it would be cheaper for me to take the 2 lessons a week, and he would work with both of us.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My biggest problem with her is her spookiness in the indoor.&nbsp; And it's only at the one end.&nbsp; She's got a real issue with it, to the point where she fixates on it the minute I take her into the arena, and if anything happens down there, she's on edge and constantly spooks the whole time I'm riding her.&nbsp; For someone who is a confident, relaxed rider, this would be NBD, but for me, who tends to be&nbsp;very lacking in the&nbsp;confidence department, it's hard for me to deal with the constant spooking.&nbsp; If I ride her outside&nbsp;in the&nbsp;sand-ring or on the trails, she is great!&nbsp; No spooking at all.&nbsp; But in the indoor, she is always waiting for some "monster" to attack her.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At this point, I'm not really sure *what* to do.&nbsp; My BO/coach "poo-poos" the whole thing.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think he thinks that I'm just a "silly woman", to be&nbsp;expecting to have a non-spooky horse.&nbsp; And I agree with him, to a point.&nbsp; Yes, *every* horse has the tendency to spook, but Tequila is waaay beyond that.&nbsp; She *looks* for an excuse to spook and seems&nbsp;genuinely terrified.&nbsp; I don't know how to deal with that!&nbsp; I guess I could mention to&nbsp;him about trying to find another (older)&nbsp;horse, but I think he would probably get upset with me.&nbsp; HE has no problems with Tequila when he works with her or rides her.&nbsp; He has no fear and doesn't understand why I do.&nbsp; And I am SURE he would think that I'm crazy, for wanting to replace her, since a) he bred her so has an emotional attachment to her, and b) she really is a very nice mare.&nbsp; I'm sure he thinks the problem is all mine...and I'm sure that it is too, but that doesn't change the fact that she needs a more confident rider than I am, and I need a more confident horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sigh...some days I wonder if I should just sell her and&nbsp;get out of horses for good.&nbsp; It seems as though I have NO luck in finding the right one&nbsp;#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/11.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:20 pm

graciespook wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And BT? Where are you hiding the valium? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#mwahahaha!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#seriously girl - there is some good advice, all jokes aside! listen to some of us, and your rational side!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chin up Chenders...I know how you feel. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's easier when the horse isn't yours as well, or you have something to fall back on (a steady reliable horse) but I'm there too, where I feel my limitations, and I'm discouraged..if it was anyone else's horse, it wouldn't bother me so much, but because he's my one and only, its really tough. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This board is a great outlet for us, and one I'm sorry I haven't used more for my frustrations. There are a ton of good suggestions, and a lot of friends and support backing us up. I feel infinitely better, knowing it plagues everyone, I know now I need to relax and take it one step at a time. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:31 pm

chenders01 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sigh...some days I wonder if I should just sell her and&nbsp;get out of horses for good.&nbsp; It seems as though I have NO luck in finding the right one&nbsp;#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/11.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#you gonna make me kick you in the pants again woman!!??#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#c'mon - you've worked very hard with tequila, and there are times that for a peiord, long or short, you'll hit a "plateau" where it seems like you're not going any further or not making progress, but don't give up!!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#remember how excited you were about her at first??! don't fret......there's nothing wrong with you being a bit worried about her spooking etc, after all she's still young..just becasue your coach/BO doesn't worry about it, doesn't mean it's not a valid concern for you. after all ....he's a yeehaw cowboy right? #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#now back to you......dali wasn't the horse for you, and if you don't think tequila is the horse for you.........i would sit down and re-evaluate what your riding goals are...what type of horse you want to help you reach those goals, etc. can you picture yourself reaching those goals with tequila? if the answer is no, she's not the horse for you......then it's your decision, not your BOs, as to if you sell her - maybe he'll buy her back?#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#no worries woman! or you either GS- you guys are both accomplished horsewomen, in your own rights, and it'll work out in the end. have faith &amp; some confidence!!!!!!!!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:49 pm

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#[quote="chenders01&nbsp; #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I'm sure he thinks the problem is all mine...and I'm sure that it is too, but that doesn't change the fact that she needs a more confident rider than I am, and I need a more confident horse.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#[/quote]#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think you have hit the nail on the head there. I don't intend this to come out in a mean sort of way, but I have never thought this horse was a good choice for you. Green horses and riders who lack confidence are a recipe for problems. I have ridden horses that spook as an evasion,&nbsp;spooking&nbsp;can be&nbsp;just as much an evasion as bucking or balking. However if you have only had her since May, that is not really that long, I would not give up myself just yet. But if she is fine for your BO and not for you, if you ever want her to be fine for you, YOU will have to resolve the problem. If that's not your cup of tea, don't overface yourself, it's OK to have limitations, you want to enjoy yourself and not be scared the whole time you ride - which will only make the problem worse anyway. With Boomer I let my coach ride him a few times and convince him it was possible for a puny little human to keep him in the ring, but as soon as I got back on he tried the sh#t again, #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#I #ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#had to prove to Boomer that #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#I #ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#could keep him in the ring too, some days I was quaking in my boots but I sucked it up and did it, and I now have a horse I adore riding - but he is not 100% reliable, he will still pull his schtick on occasion. But it's OK to say "This is not what I want". Our riding years are limited and you should make the most of them. It worked out OK for me, and I hope it will for you too, but it is OK to give up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What do you do when you are in the arena? What other&nbsp;steps are you taking to resolve the problem? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If it were me (and I know it's not!) I would give her over the winter. That's lots of time and you are pretty much going to be forced to work indoors, and work on the problem. Some horses do have arena issues. I find most horses are better outdoors to some extent - whether it be less spooky, or in Boomer's case he is more forward, I think he feels restricted in the arena, but this sounds like it's a little ridiculous.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you do sell her, I wouldn't give up on finding another horse - just buy something more like Leo. Forget the young horses, forget the TB's. There are plenty of affordable solid citizens out there that you would enjoy. Or look at leasing/part-boarding a schoolmaster again. Just don't rush into anything.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck, I really do hope she works out for you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby RioG » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Graciespook, I don't mean to hijack your thread here, but I really wanted to respond to chenders.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders - just a thought.&nbsp; Currently you're taking "western" lessons?&nbsp; Have you thought about going back to the dressage end of things?&nbsp; I grew up in a western type QH barn ( but rode QH style english) and if I had known then what I know now...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Using "dressage" in a very broad way here, I find I am so much more in control.&nbsp; I think back to when I was having so much trouble with any horse, and had I known the "correct" way to do things we might have resolved them faster.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know you have a dressage background, I just thought maybe you were missing this angle.&nbsp; It might be a good way to think about things?&nbsp; Just a shot in the dark here.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby babytigger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#listen girls.......in a way i feel like i'm in the same boat, if you can believe it...only the problem is a little different. think about it............i haven't ridden consistenly for a long period of time, i haven't had regular or semi-regular lessons for quite some time as well, and now!!!!!!!!! well, now i have a wonderful horse to ride, who, while he's awesome, will also present challenges to me that i've never dealt with (one being that he's a stallion). i feel that i need to be able to ride at his level...he's that awesome. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#now, while i worry about it, and worry about "damaging" the horse,......i'm also looking forward to it, and like i said, if we do ok at shows, great. it not, oh well. if we have a good ride&nbsp; - fantastic, if not......what can i do differently next time??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#you guys , and i, will figure it out in the end.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#too bad you guys weren;t closer to me &amp; each other - we could form a club! lol!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Foxie » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders sounds like you guys are having some issues. I have Ozzie on training board. My coach rides him 3-4 days a week. Can you get Tequila on the same type of program? Really explain to your coach about the issues your having and see if you can work something out. I know that without my coach's help there is no way I could have trained Ozzie and felt comfortable doing it. Not saying that you can't train Tequila but maybe if your coach helps step by step you'll feel more confident. As for the spookiness its a pain in the a**. All I can say is make her go back to the scary place over and over and over again. That's what I do if he spooks. Right back to the place until he gets that nothing is going to happen. My guy has an attention span the size of a flea. My coach tells him that he has ADD. lol.. He has to see everything, go stiff everything. When riding he rolls his eye back just to see what he's passing and if its interesting. Just annoying when he doesn't focus. But working thru it slowly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You and GS are both accomplished horsewomen, in your own rights, and it'll work out in the end. have faith &amp; some confidence!!!!!!!! to quote BT.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Besides you guys had better stop doubting yourselves.....sounds like BT's gonna kick some major arse soon #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/1.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp; LMAO#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Grr!!&nbsp; I had a whole long post typed out and the damned server ate it #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/6.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway...Ruth, I'm not offended.&nbsp; The little voice inside my head told me back in the Spring&nbsp;that Tequila was too green.&nbsp; I actually told the BO this, after Dali sold, but by then, I was already attached to her, so decided to buy her anyway (I really need to learn to listen to that little voice, I guess).&nbsp; I figured that with help, I could work with her.&nbsp; And we HAVE come a long way.&nbsp; And I'm not ready yet to give up on her.&nbsp; I think I'm going to take your advice and take the winter to try to work through my own confidence issues.&nbsp; I know that if I could only get the confidence to feel comfortable with her spooks, she'd probably stop them.&nbsp; I do agree with you that they are an evasion.&nbsp; My BO/coach is constantly telling me "don't let that mare bullsh*t you" LOL!!&nbsp; I think that he has her figured out and knows that she's got ME figured out.&nbsp; It's just a matter of me convincing myself that I have the ability to ride her through her crap...and I know that I do.&nbsp; I've never&nbsp;yet come close to coming off of her.&nbsp; &nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rio, I'm doing the western thing right now because I feel more secure in the western saddle.&nbsp; If Tequila spooks and bolts, I feel that there's more saddle surrounding me, and keeping me in place.&nbsp; I can't afford to bring in an outside trainer or coach, plus, my BO knows Tequila and knows me, so is probably better able to work with us than an outside, unknown coach would be.&nbsp; I do think that I need to have a little talk with him though, to explain what I'm trying to achieve by taking lessons from him.&nbsp; &nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess I'll just keep plugging along.&nbsp; I may mention to the BO that&nbsp;IF he knows of an older horse that's for sale, I might be interested in trading Tequila...or maybe he'd buy her back from me so that I could get an older horse.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm a little nervous about broaching this subject with him though...I know he'll think I'm NUTZ.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:35 pm

chenders01 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm a little nervous about broaching this subject with him though...I know he'll think I'm NUTZ.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders, it's not him who's nervous of his horse...#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/17.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kobau » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#double post....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Kobau on Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General