Snowballs

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Snowballs

Postby RioG » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That time of year again - blech.  Just a light dusting of snow and last night Rio's feet balled up so much I had to get off.  Luckily the blacksmith is coming today so I've asked him to help come up with a solution - I suggested full pads in front.  We tried snow pads last year, but they didn't work even a tiny bit.  I know there's the "home remedies" like spraying Pam in their feet, but I've never actually tried it.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone else have any luck preventing snowballs?  I am determined to continue riding this winter for the sake of my horse, so we'll have to come up with something.  The Exeter area gets a lot of snow, methinks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby chenders01 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Does she need to be shod?  If not, pull her shoes, and you shouldn't have a problem with the snow balling up.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If she needs shoes, full pads should do the trick.  I'm not sure how you could have balling up with *full* pads on #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/3.gif"#ed_cl#  You'll probably need to have caulks put on the shoes too, for traction.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby jax » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just be careful with full pads to make sure you squirt some thrush remedy in there every once in a while, because the moisture gets trapped between the hoof and pad.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you are concerned with riding, try vaseline.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby RioG » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She is currently in corrective shoes so they do (unfortunately) have to stay.&nbsp; Good call on th thrush remedy - hopefully there are no problems, and hopefully it only has to be for a few short months.&nbsp; Wouldn't it be nice if spring came March 1 this year?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:36 pm

chenders01 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Does she need to be shod?&nbsp; If not, pull her shoes, and you shouldn't have a problem with the snow balling up.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tuffy bowed her tendon from balling up 3 days after I had her shoes pulled to prevent such a thing....Some horses seem to have a certain shape of hoof that holds the snow.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby tbbrat » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If she has to keep her shoes on, and the snow pads don't work, what about a pair of Easyboots to go over her shoes for the snowy weather when you're riding?&nbsp; I pull Teddy's shoes in winter and put Easyboots on him if we're going down the road or if there's not enough snow cover.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby RioG » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Easy boots - good idea!&nbsp; I actually hadn't thought of that.&nbsp; hopefully the full pads work, but if not I'll see if I can scare up a pair of (reasonably priced) boots.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Easy-boots..do horses have problems wearing them?? GT has this huge step thing with polos on i can't imagine him with easy boots, but i do enjoy riding in the cushy snow!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby horsemad! » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am quite certain that EasyBoots are NOT to be used over shoes... I'm sure it's in their directions - I know it is for OldMacs.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I find that nothing I've ever tried (Pam, Vaseline, etc.)&nbsp;really stops the snow from balling up in the right conditions - pads or no pads.&nbsp; Full pads, maybe - but there's still the metal shoe for snow to freeze onto and start balling up.&nbsp;&nbsp; I think it's LittleGreyMare on this board who recommended using graphite on the bottom of the foot (NOT on the shoe itself) and says that it works a charm.&nbsp; Maybe she'll weigh in on this.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Easy boots are meant for barefoot horses......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have most of my horses barefoot and they ball up all the time...have to be really careful walking in on concrete and rubber mats...It is like wearing ice skates....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:17 pm

Patricia- Im just about hard a heart attack because where we are now only way into the barn is on mats and concret! But then again i also took the shoes off of GT and im waiting to take Andys off and we're moving!! So anyway, to prevent the 'ice skate effect' would it be good to do feet outside/ in the arena before they come in? If theyre really bad anyway..
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pam...its amazing, along with rim pads. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Leena » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I second Pam or vaseline. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby RioG » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The full pads are going on today - I hope they work.&nbsp; Not only for riding, but for field turnout.&nbsp; I would hate to think of her hobbling along all day on snowballs, which wouldn't help our quest for soundness either, I don't think.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll also take some Pam out there for riding nights.&nbsp; It might help with the snow sticking to the shoes?&nbsp; One concern is going to be the concrete pad we have to cross to get to the riding ring, but there's not really a way around that.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Man... you don't realize the benefit of an arena until you try to do without!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Littlegreymare » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#HM, of course I have to chime in here :) Because it seems as though nobody believes me lol!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Try using graphite, you can find it at TSC, and most hardware/farm stores. One brand name is SlipPlate, but there are a few to choose from.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Carefully spray it on the sole of the hoof, avoiding the shoes. In the past on my horses, it has lasted a good 6-8 weeks in between trims/re-shods. After the farrier is done, spray it on again. Instead of working on removing snowballs after the fact, it prevents the snow from sticking in the first place.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#It's also not a lead product (contrary to popular belief) so it's not harmful to their general health.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby pmc » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here's a link that shows what the Slip Plate spray can looks like:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.slipplate.com/html/slip_plate_aerosol.html"#ed_cl#http://www.slipplate.com/html/slip_plate_aerosol.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to General