Cleaning Mud

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Cleaning Mud

Postby Foxie » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I went up last night just to groom Ozzie and any place the blanket didn't cover he was covered in Mud.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/8.gif"#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It was caked all on his neck and face. It took forever to get it all out and semi-clean. I used a ton of Miracle Groom in the sensitive places that I couldn't curry out all the mud. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What do you use? And does anyone know of anything that might be better then Miralce Groom? Don't say bath him because we don't have an indoor wash stall.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also one of his 'buddies' gave him a love nip on his face. It's not bleeding just the fur came off and you can see the shiny skin. Anyone have any tips on how to make the hair grow back faster? I used Vitamin E.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use good old-fashioned elbow grease - a black rubber curry and a good stiff dandy brush. No advice for you on getting hair to grow back faster, I don't worry about that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use a metal shedding comb to get the dried, caked-on mud off.  If Ozzie is too sensitive for this, then just a good ol' rubber curry comb or grooming mitt and LOTS of elbow grease!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As far as his face boo-boo, if it's not gushing blood, I usually just leave that stuff alone.  The hair will grow back in its own time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby TequillaJack » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I second the metal shedding comb#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#as for the hair its winter show season is over (if you show) it will grow back#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby horsemad! » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I find the rubber curry mitt is best for getting mud off legs and stuff...  so rub off the mud, then brush, and then a hot, damp (not wet) towel to finish off.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use VitaminE (either straight... like the consistency of Vaseline type - or the gel) to get hair to grow back.  I don't know if it actually makes the hair grow back any quicker, but it makes me feel like a good horse mummy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Foxie » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:59 am

Ruth wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use good old-fashioned elbow grease - a black rubber curry and a good stiff dandy brush.
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I believe in that too but he had it everywhere. All around his ears, on the sides of his face, under one eye, his neck and mane were sooo caked in mud that he turned from a chestnut to a grey!! The mud dried in big clumps and it's hard to curry his neck because he's VERY sensitive. I tried curring his neck one day with the curry that I use for his legs, the really soft curry, and he almost bit me. I used the metal shedding blade on his neck, really softly and it worked but his ears and face I used a soft brush, miracle groom and my fingers to get out the mud.  O well I guess there aren't any short cuts for me!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Foxie » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:04 pm

horsemad! wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use VitaminE (either straight... like the consistency of Vaseline type - or the gel) to get hair to grow back.  I don't know if it actually makes the hair grow back any quicker, but it makes me feel like a good horse mummy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know what you mean!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like the damp cloth idea. I don't have a mit but I'm thinking of picking one up today. I knew I should have last time I was at Bahr's but I didn't think he really needed one. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby RioG » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Elbow grease (and a good dose of don't worry about it) in the mud department.  So long as it isn't irritating, I mean.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And an old home remedy for the hair growth?  Bacon Grease.  I don't know if it works, but I have used it.  Kind of gross though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby horsemad! » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Almost forgot!  For a while I rode a very sensitive TB who only tolerated the softest of soft brushes... not even the curry mitt...  I used to keep lots of clean towels on hand - and use them dry in the same manner I would a curry (ie: fold towel up and use in circular motion#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wouldn't bother with the Miracle Groom.  Seems a waste of money since he's very likely going to find a muck puddle every time he goes out - at least until the ground freezes!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Toweling...If he's really dirty, I take a damp towel and scrub and scrub in spots until its clean. I cheat and use show sheen to prevent deep mud penetration ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby spotz » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 am

Not many tricks for getting the mud off but after you get them clean you can help prevent it from getting as bad.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I use Vetrolin Shine on my horses coat, mane & tail....I will use a
grooming mitt & spray it on & wipe it over their ears face
& anywhere I don't want to directly spray from the bottle.  It
helps to not let the mud stick so bad so it comes of easier.....I also
think miracle groom is a waste of money.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
For growing hair back fast try Shapleys MTG (mane & tail
groom)works great & is also good for any skin irritations, itching,
rubbing etc....#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Get Spotted In A Crowd...Ride An Appaloosa!"
"I'M HOT 4 SPOTZ"
My Patty!
spotz
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Brush, brush, and if that doesn't work..brush more! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My coach has this really cool stuff, like shampoo in a bottle.. you sprtiz it on and rub it in with a clean clothes/towel(i use my hand) and then whip it off with a clean towel or cloth. It works wonders, when Andy first came, hes a flea bitten grey, mostly grey, he has grass and poop stains on him. After i used that stuff he looked like a new horse!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For the cut....i would say vasaline, or Derma-gel.... I wouldn't use the derma gel if it were me but it grows hair back very quickly. Its for big wounds and to help it all heal together. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use metal shedding comb to take the chuncks off then a brush to flick off the loose dirt.  You do not have to be hard with the shedding comb.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yep - there's really no way around it.......groom, groom, groom....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and what can you do, he's a sensitive TB......perhaps he'll adjust to the groomig, or realize that he ought to stop getting covered in mud & then he won't get brushed so hard - LOL!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby BTDT » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I second the metal currie.  I have one of those round ones with 3-4 rings, that you can flip so that one side has short teeth and the other side has a longer set.  I always use the "short" side as my guy is hide sensitive.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you use straight line strokes (don't circle as this puts the dirt under the hair) to get the crust off and then use a long haired very soft body brush in short quick strokes, this will flick the dust and loose dirt that is sitting on the surfice off quite nicely.  I then go back over the body with a stiffer brush to bring the rest up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And if you want a nice shine after all that, a quick wipe with a towel that has a spray on it (your choice) will take the last of the dust off.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you are more worried about hair that is sitting up straight rather than flat, there isn't much you can do other than get water involved after all of the above.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#On the good side, the mud is in limited areas and should not be a problem soon  :)  One good reason to have the white stuff.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BTDT

Return to General