some questions about breeding?

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

some questions about breeding?

Postby xena_n_joss » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok, so along with Sodas post.... I have been thinking about Guarenteed Gold for Xena potentially.... Maybe not this year... but one day maybe... we will go by this year though just because I know what happening this year.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#First, say I breed her in April or something, how do people feel about still working her and competing throughout the sumer while she is in foal? I know people still can ride them, because I remember my coach a long time ago bought a mare and they didnt find out until 2 weeks before the foal was born that she was actually in foal... So she was ridden and jumped up until this time. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Second, Xena is not registered in anything. I suppose I can register her CWB... but aside from that. Is GG registrys enough to get her registered in at least one thing? Im not really into registry that much so I dont know too much about it. But it would be nice to have the foal registered if not just for value purposes. If it was a colt would it be stallion potential? Or simce it is still a cross would it be better gelded? Im only asking because the registrys and ways of doing things are so different now. And I want to cover all bases. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thrid, for those who know color scheme... Would breeding a bay with a cremello stallion result in a buckskin? This is what I really wanted and have been thinking about, I had not seen any good stallion before that were its coloring.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I personally have no problem with working/showing a mare while she's pregnant. I do like to give them the first 2 weeks after breeding off, and would not want to work them too hard for the next 2 weeks - also stress can cause them to lose the pregnancy, particularly in the first 30 days, so I would not want to show in the first 30 days. It is mostly social stress you should be concerned about, and I would try to avoid trailering in this timeframe. It's not an avoid at all costs kind of thing, but I still try not to. I usually ride them up until 7 months along.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As far as registration options go with GG, I don't know if he is approved CWB, I'm sure TC can fill you in on that, but I know he's approved CSH. You could take Xena for CSH mare inspection, if she passes then she has breeding approval with CSH, and the foal will be eligible for full papers with the CSH. With CWBHA if the stallion is not approved by them you can pay the stallion in IF he is approved by certain other registries (KWPN for example), or is registered with one of those registries, ie Leah is going to be registered CWBHA - I will enter Baxter in the Auxiliary book, and as Lancaster is a registered Holsteiner that qualifies Leah as having 50% warmblood breeding from an approved registry (Holsteiner), even though Lancaster is not an approved stallion with the Holsteiner registry. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For her foal due next year which is by Art Deco I will more likely take Baxter for CSH inspection and have that foal registered CSH as opposed to going the CWB route.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can't answer your color question!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby TrueColours » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Great choice! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/11.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now on to the other questions ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The rule of thumb for riding in foal mares is that you CAN continue riding them to the same level they were used to being ridden at before. So dont take a sedentary mare, get her in foal and then start endurance riding on her!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If she is used to being ridden every day now, when she is in foal, no problem to continue riding her every day then.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only risk will be is you decide you want to show her - what bugs might you expose her to that may cause her to abort down the road from the shows??? And is that risk worth it?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Outdoor shows are generally okay. The Royal is the worst with the closed environment, and the horses coming in from all over the place ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And as Ruth mentioned - avoid stress with them. If you KNOW she is horrible to trailer and comes off a soaking wet mess, then probably the best thing to do will be to avoid trailering her anywhere while she is in foal or risk losing the foal ... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GG is a Bronze Premium stallion with the CSHA so you would need to get your mare inspected with them and then the resultant foal can get 100% CSHA papers.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He will also be in the IHF (International Hunter Futurity) so all of his foals will be eligible for the IHF classes which is a real biggie!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If the cross produces a stellar buckskin colt and the size, movement, conformation, attitude is there and he has full CSHA registration - why not stand him at stud if that is where your interest lies? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Colour wise? He 100% guarantees a dilute colour on his foals.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#With a bay mare, you will probably get buckskin, could possibly get a palomino and the outside chance of a smoky black. Unless you get her genetically tested, you wont know 100% what she might produce for you.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#With chestnut mares it is 100% palomino - no other colour option is possible ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think thats everything - let me know if you have any other questions! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby xena_n_joss » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok... thanks guys! So what is involved in getting her CSH registered?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Has he ever passes on his blue eyes before? or one?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby goldendryad » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know someone who rode her Arabian mare pretty much daily and worked her quite hard in reining figures. Then one day she foaled a surprise baby. They just thought the mare was tubby, the only exposure she had was to a male donkey and a yearling colt. Must have been the yearling colt because that baby was not a mule. She was a gorgeous healthy filly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Personally I'd give time off before the foaling. But that's just me. Every mare is different.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well she wouldnt be rode in the winter, or if she was it would only be on trails or whatever... Maybe basic work to keep her in shape. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh yeah, I meant to mention about the exposure to viruses at shows, I'm asleep on the job today. If you are planning on showing I would start the Pneumabort shots at 3 months instead of waiting until 5 months. This is a small part of the reason I don't show on the line at the Royal, I am worried about what might be brought back to the broodmares, and I don't have the facility to quarantine in November. I have other bigger reasons for not showing at the Royal too, but that is a small part of it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Personally I wouldn't want to stand a stallion if it is a colt, unless he turns out to be a really outstanding speciman, and as a mareowner I wouldn't be jumping up and down to breed to a stallion that is out of a mare with unknown breeding. As nice as the mare herself might be, quite often the grandparents have a big impact on offspring, and you don't know what Xena's background is. There are so many stallions out there now. Doesn't mean you wouldn't get other people interested though, this is just MO as a mare owner.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Positively4thStreet » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd give her maybe two weeks to a month off before she gives birth, or at least lighten her workload a fair bit.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you get a colt, personally, I'd geld it. Otherwise, he'd probably just be a backyard stallion, unless Xena has some phenomenal lines in her background. There's too many good, well-bred stallions out there, there's really no use for one with mediocre lines (no matter how pretty he is). If you do choose to keep him a stallion, don't expect to be able to charge a lot of money, as GG is a TB, and generally most people are looking for WBs to spend money on, who have done high level showing. He's a nice stallion and all, but provided you weren't breeding for color, I'd go for a stallion like Cattrick II--absolutely gorgeous, refined black WB stallion. If you were looking for a paint, I'd go with Sandstorm, or Art Deco, or Sempatico. But if you've got your heart set on GG, that's fine, just don't count on getting a lot of money from breeding him.. and stallions aren't easy keepers. What lines has Xena got in her background, and what lines has GG got? Has he only got racing lines? What do you plan on using the foal for? If the stallion only has lines in a certain field, you might have trouble getting people to breed unless they were looking for babies in that particular field.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry for the novel, but that's my opinion.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby TrueColours » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#xena - NO! He never passes the blue eyes on, unless he is bred to another dilute and THAT foal is a double dilute, or - in the case of the Whatever filly - that foal will probably have the ice blue eyes that she has, which are totally different than the eyes that GG has ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Confuzzled yet?! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The cremello eyes are a trait totally with the double dilutes and not the single dilutes ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Great choice Xena...I have really been eyeing the offspring, and am impressed. :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Return to General