I'm Leaving..Just Need a Barn

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

I'm Leaving..Just Need a Barn

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Yep I'm in the market for a new barn. The indoor is NOT going to be up for the winter so what is happening is all the horses are being re-located to a rather well-known person in the area with a BAD reputation. My horses are likely to be loaded onto a trailer and sold out from under me there LOL There will be at least 3 horses moving.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I am having a heck of a time finding a barn, or even listings of barns. I know my criteria isn't easy to come upon...up to $350 for indoor board, and must must must have pasture board as well, with an indoor. Anywhere south of Ravenshoe (or just a couple mins past) is going to be too far. So i'm looking in georgina / north mount albert/zephyr/uxbridge/cannington/etc.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#If someone can give me a hand on some private barns they know of doing boarding, that would be awesome.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby pmc » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What about spotz's?  I recall you were thinking of moving there a few months ago.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Exactly...you had the perfect place a month ago at Spotz.  Definitely follow through on that.  I know you mentioned she didn't have 24/7 BUT quite frankly in this terrible winter weather which is almost upon us I like having my guys in at night.  I am sure daily turnout should be just fine.  The care out weights the type of turnout for me.  You will find most barns fill up this time of year and you will be left exactly where you are with no indoor.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Last year I went to a local private farm-only 8 stalls.  The fellow also has a few portable stalls in his coverall that he stores his hay and shavings.  Although, he collected a few to many free TB's off the track and he took in one of his cowboy friends leaving me out in the lurch.  He also doesn't sound to interested in making room for me.  The 2 girls I ride with there are kind of upset...he bit**** about no income because he only really has 4 paying boarders instead of 8 plus 3 stalls in the Coverall.  The one girl will be travel to the U.S. for work and was wanting us to ride for her while she is away.  Her horse is Prix St. George level....That shot that down because as we will not be there regularly as boarders.  So home I sit with them in my back yard mud hole.  It is going to be a LONNNNNGGGG winter.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My first priority is the indoor, (obviously because I don't have one for the good footing) then safe turnout.  It doesn't matter so much how long as the weather can change and we have an indoor to free run and turnout.  Feed program here is great...all the hay they can eat and we can help ourselves.  They feed Purina products and they allow a fair amount.  Even have access to shaving if he doesn't get around to adding that day.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I knew based on the info you provided there was no way they would get an arena up and footing before the snow flies.  They had to have a contactor lined up and be on a sort of waiting list.  Check out bulletin boards at the feed mills and local tack shops.  I wish you the best in you quest for the right place...Although Spotz sounds like that is it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#look at the classified ads on ec... sorry to hear that it went this way soda! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So Spotz's I gather doesn't have any stalls available now.  The whole situation sounds just a little too weird.  Any chance you could go back to your old place for a short time?  They at least have a really nice arena.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Not to hi-jack Soda's thread, but Patricia why can't you ride the PSG horse if you don't have your guy at that barn?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth--It just came across that way in the e-mail.  My son said the very same thing.  We could still do it.  Actually the invitation was for HIM to ride her horse since now he rides a schoolmaster.  So the offer wasn't really wasn't for me OUCH....  I guess because we wouldn't be there to check on her mare regularly.  I get the impression/think the other girl who is semi-retired is there everyday gets the luxury of riding the mare.  She rode her in the summer when she was on her honeymoon and when she was away for work.  The only luck I seem to have lately is bad luck.....LOL!  *SMILE* Oh well...keep plugging along...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Oldnag » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:27 pm

I second xena's suggestion to look in the classifieds - here on emg, etc...

I don't think I've ever seen as many available stalls and boarding opportunities as I have in the last couple of months - a real boarder's market in my opinion. In fact, it is for this reason I decided to leave my vacant stalls empty this winter and to make my workload lighter this winter. Usually I have people coming in off the road begging for a spot but this year, not so much. :?

Soda, are you familiar with Twin Oaks equestrian? Its in the Mt. Albert area(Kennedy rd. I believe) and as of last week I know they had 2 stalls available and do have some outdoor board as well. The Indoor arena is small but it is an indoor. I'm sure if you did a search on EMG you would find their ad.

Good luck in your search. :D
Oldnag
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:13 pm

Patricia wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# So the offer wasn't really wasn't for me OUCH....  I guess because we wouldn't be there to check on her mare regularly.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess so OUCH! Anyway, but if Corey was riding the horse wouldn't you be out there checking it regularly? Especially if you can't ride your horse, if I was the mare's owner I would think that you would be able to devote more time to her because of that. Maybe she had in mind all along for the retired person to ride though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Sodapoppers! You were saying that you are able to board in the uxbridge area! WELL I know of a farm that would be nice! Here is the website #ed_op#A href="http://www.uec.ca/"#ed_cl#http://www.uec.ca/#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#   Hope I helped! Leslie#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby pmc » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:39 pm

Chisholm wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So Spotz's I gather doesn't have any stalls available now.  The whole situation sounds just a little too weird.  Any chance you could go back to your old place for a short time? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Too bad that you hadn't moved to spotz's when you had the chance to, SP. Can't you just stay where you are until something appropriate comes up?  Your original post sounds like everyone is kind of being forced to vacate the premises asap, and I agree, that sounds more than a little weird.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Azalee » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm confused like everyone else.  It sounds like not only are you being forced to vacate, but they're telling you where to go...?  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley24.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby funkey munkeyza » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There are plenty of barns in uxbridge! there's churchill chimes, maple lane or creek..... u should search the yellow pages for barns in uxbridge...when i was looking for lessons i visited about 5 in that area that was really nice i totally forget the names but they're there! good luck would you go as far as stouffville? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
funkey munkeyza
Newbies
Newbies

Postby babytigger » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#good luck SP...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#if you come see me on the weekend....maybe you can find out about the place where i am....i've no idea if they have stalls, but it can't hurt to ask. damn - i should have asked yesterday for you when i was up for my lesson.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby zooka » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ARe they asking you to leave and telling you which barn to go to since they are not done the arena?  I am also a little confiused....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#lol...Ok i'll try to explain it better. The indoor was set to go up. The reason they put a stop to it is because they are leasing the place, and the woman who actually owns it has not paid her taxes since June. So they were leery of putting a $100k building up and having the property get repossessed, so they decided that was not going to happen. So I guess we are 'relocating' more than moving. And it's only about a KM down the road. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#This place everyone is moving to is owned by this guy i mentioned before who has done some business with the BO before. I've found some places but they are so damned EXPENSIVE...like $500 a month each. That's my mortgage payment !! LOL anyways i will write more later, out of time!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Piaffing » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP the best thing to do is take a map and start driving around. Write down all the info of everyplace you stop at. Most places do not advertise. Places that have a so called bad rep take with a grain of salt. Never judge anything until you have seen for yourself and talked to the people that run it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The place I'm at does not adevrtise nor has it a sign out front. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby spotz » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sodapoppers.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do still have stalls.....e-mail me if your stuck.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Get Spotted In A Crowd...Ride An Appaloosa!"
"I'M HOT 4 SPOTZ"
My Patty!
spotz
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby pmc » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good lord, SP!  I can't believe that your current barn managers would be so insane as to even consider putting up a $100K arena on a property they don't own in the first place, whether the taxes are paid or not!  Are you sure this is what #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#really#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# happened?  Or, perhaps (playing devil's advocate here!) they never had any intentions of putting one up at all, and are using the unpaid property taxes (if, indeed, that's even true!) as an excuse to gracefully get out of doing something they had promised.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Even if they were planning a Cover-all arena which could, technically be moved, the expense of putting in the footing for the arena in two locations, plus the cost of dismantling, moving and re-installing it at a new location, if needed, would be horrendous!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Something stinks here, and it ain't horse-poo...   #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well lookie there Spotz offer is STILL there!  I say get thee there to check it out!  She sounds very knowledgeable and you need that kind of support system in place and to know you horse is being fed when and what it is suppose to get.  I know I would sleep well at night knowing they are in good hands.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am total agreement with PMC....no one I know has that kind of scratch to put up a building on someone elses property.  Once it is there no one in there right mind will move it.  Too costly.  Hey I want them to come here...I want an indoor...give me their contact info....LOL!  Seriously though, something doesn't smell right.  First off, if they have that kind of money and are leasing if they want to have a viable business they really should start by owning their own place.  I have found those people at places that pay an exhorbitant lease fee just can't make enough to actually cover much more that their business expenses and doesn't leave much room for profit.  Hence, all the short cuts of trying to make a buck.  It just sounds to me that they are taking up stakes and trying to keep all there boarders BUT at a new location.  There is probably more to the story.    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to General