Shopping Online - US Tack Shops?

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Shopping Online - US Tack Shops?

Postby Whirlaway » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=1 color=#00407f size=2#ed_cl#I have been browsing the websites of a few US tack shops (such as Dover, and Dressage Extensions), and have seen lots of neat things I'd like to buy, but I am hesitant because of shipping & duty.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=1 color=#00407f size=2#ed_cl#I was just wondering if anyone on here had experience purchasing items from the US. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated (i.e. who had good service and not too outrageous shipping) ... before I put my credit card into action, and regret it!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=1 color=#00407f size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=1 color=#00407f size=2#ed_cl#Thanks!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Whirlaway
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think Dover is so big and well known that its not a huge problem. I know that in the past I've purchased Ebay from the states and it was never ever a problem. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Megan Ball » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've only bought things thru EBay online. I've never had a problem with shipping, but those Bas**** for customs get you every time!!! SO just make sure you have an INCREDIBLE deal!! Cause sometimes after the cost of the item and then shipping and then customs get you when your package arrives you might as well have bought it over here! Not the companies problem or their fault, but ask about how much$$ shipping it to you will cost, they will need you postal code, and then depending on how heavy it is tack on customs. $25 for a saddle for example!! Good luck. Do your math first!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Mystic » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My mother and I have both purchased things through Dressage Extensions and haven't had any issues. My mom even exchanged one of the bits she had bought because the metal was damaged when it arrived. She shipped it back and they replaced it no problem. I was looking for a jewel studded browband that I first saw in my local tack shop. I ended up getting it through dressage extensions because my local tack shop tried to convince me my mare that wears an oversized bridle would fit in a standard size browband. Also this tack shop is not the most reliable when it comes to ordering things for you. I placed my order with Dressage Extensions on a Sunday afternoon and had it by the end of the week.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby PerfectAngel » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If wherever you get it fom ships UPS, then you are bound to get SCREWED, but if they ship plain old USPS then you normally only get charged taxes on the estimated value....it's not so bad like that...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I have ordered only once from the States and it was from Dover and there was no problem.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I buy stuff from ebay all the time and the customer ect are pretty reasonable. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Gemina » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Personally, I've shopped on Ebay without problems. However, Pleasant Ridge Saddlery near Toronto, I think, has very good prices. It's worth while to get their catalogue or look online.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Am going to order winter boots and half chaps for my granddaughter from them. #ed_op#A href="http://www.pleasantridge.ca"#ed_cl#www.pleasantridge.ca#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# .#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i haven't bought anything onlone from tack shops, but yes, i've used ebay.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#what i personally can't stand is those people whom you get a good deal from but they gouge you on shipping....like it arrives & the postage is like 1/4 of what they charged you............that always gets me.....even if it didnt sound like a bad price when you bid/won the auction, as sometimes it does sound like an OK cost....but i digress............yes, just watch out for the overcharge with shipping & getting whacked with duty charges at the boarder#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby Champ » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#I just recently (beginning of Oct.) ordered a new saddle, bridle, girth, martingale, leathers, irons etc from a tack shop in Ohio (I live in Ontario). And I can tell you that the people were great. I ordered everythign on a Tuesday night and it arrived on the Friday afternoon (It was shipped DHL) I called down the Wednesday morning and was talking to the lady about it being shipped faster and she uderstood everything that I asked about the saddle and such and if anything was wrong if i could return it for another etc stuff like that and everything was explained well. I got my saddle and such and all I can say is wow. I was very pleased with the way everything was done. It was shipped fast and packaged like it was the most fradgile thing on earth!!! There were no scratches or anything wrong. This is the web site that i got it from #ed_op#A href="http://www.tack-wholesale.com"#ed_cl#www.tack-wholesale.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#. The only thing that sucked is the exchange :S where it came up to $580 US it cost an extra $140 so it came to $720, but it was honestly worth it. I have to say i was a bit iffy on doing this because I've heard so many stories but I would deffinatly suggest this place to anyone and I will be buying more things from them as well :D Hope this helps#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Champ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BTDT » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've bought from several catelogues out of the US and everyone has been great to deal with.  You do need to do your research and make sure that you are dealing with reputable people.  My favs are Grand Prix Tack and Dover plus a few others.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Unfortunately, they have no control of "cross-border" expenses like duty, taxes and expeditor servies that are usually required.  Best bet is to plan your shopping sprees around a trip to the US.  I do this when I go to Florida for a vacation.  Most places will work with you to time your shipping so that it arrives when you do at your US destination.  This also makes if far easier to return stuff while you are there.  Shipping returns are much cheaper (if any cost at all depending on the catalogue policy) if you do it from the US.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BTDT

Postby BTDT » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Forgot to add ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Case in point ...  not horse related but ...  Canada Post has a new service (online) #ed_op#A href="http://www.borderfree.com"#ed_cl#www.borderfree.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#.  Only has a couple of catalogues, but one of my favorites ... Crate and Barrel.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Beware .. I went to order some stuff for Xmas that was very reasonably priced .. the actual Cdn/US exchange rate was current etc etc etc.  When it came time to complete my check out (you need to go to the Canada Customer section), shipping, taxes and border costs (built into the shipping fee) was almost half the cost of the entire order which was nuts.  I cancelled the order.  When I arranged to have the same order shipped to a Florida address, the extra charge for "shipping" was on $5.95 US.  A big difference than the $55+ Cdn.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BTDT

Postby Trufflemaker » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have ordered from Equiteric (an eBay equestrian storefront) and had an excellent experience. I ordered 2 chambons for $12 each (great price, even after exchange!!). One was defective, so I called to find out what the procedure is to replace it. They sent another one at no cost, and didn't even want the damaged one back. I have also purchased things off eBay. I agree with others, watch out for shipping costs. I was going to buy a natural horsemanship halter off eBay for maybe $10, but when I inquired about shipping they quoted something like $36. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for customs, if the goods are less than a certain amount, there won't be any duty charged. I am not sure what the cutoff is, but I think it's $25 or maybe even $50. Better do your research though. Don't take my word for it! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Return to General