Stone bruising?-Update (Grr.)

Come on in and talk about anything equestrian related

Moderator: EC

Postby babytigger » Fri May 02, 2008 1:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Aww....sorry to hear that Luna. Hopefully the farrier can shed some light on the trouble.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri May 02, 2008 1:37 pm

I would keep soaking and polticing until the farrier comes out- it's about the only thing you can do, and it won't hurt even if it isn't needed. I would keep doing it even if she starts showing improvement (like before when you moved her to small turnout) because maybe before the soaking/poltice was just making it feel better but something is still in there. Abcesses can take their time to move through. 
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby J Dexter » Fri May 02, 2008 2:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think getting your ferrier out is the perfect plan.  I have seen horses laid up for months with soaking and poultices advised by vets for the treatment of absesses.  I had my stallion get a absess when he was a yearling.  He was dead lame.  He couldn't put any weight on it at all.  I called my ferrier on the advise of my very knowledgable vet.  The ferrier (who was personally recommended by the vet) cut out the absess.  He told me if the colt wasn't completely sound in 4-5 days, to call him back.  He told me I could soak in epsom salts if I really felt that I wanted to do something, but it was unnecessary.  The colt was completely sound in 3 days.  The boy was lame less than a week total.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl#  I don't think people give enough credit to a knowledgable ferrier.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
J Dexter
Newbies
Newbies

Return to General